PDA

View Full Version : LED Night Lights

Roy Hatch
12-18-2007, 4:22 PM
We've been using the conventional night lights with 4 watt bulbs. They work, but replacing bulbs every few months is a nuisance. So I'm considering LED's.

I see 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt and 1 watt offered, so I'm interested in what your experience has been with these. I have seen some comments that the night light does not put out enough illumination. If you are happy with yours, what wattage are you using?

Roy

Mike Henderson
12-18-2007, 5:22 PM
LED's are quite a bit more efficient than an incandescent bulb. If you're using a 4 watt now, a 1 watt LED is probably brighter.

If brighter will work, go for the 1 watt. If not, go with the 1/2 watt. Keep your receipt and packaging and if it's not what you want, exchange it.

Mike

Randy Denby
12-18-2007, 8:38 PM
There was a report on the news a few years ago, a community service kinda thing. The local fire chief made the statement that nightlites and those plug in fragrance things are responsible for a surprising percentage of fires, but cant remember how surprising :). Just passing this on for something to consider.....

Stephen Beckham
12-18-2007, 9:52 PM
Roy,

Not sure if you are a member of Sams Club - but they have a nice three pack of nightlight/flashlight LED thingermabobs...

They have three settings -

Auto - nightlight on while plugged in using one LED out of the top with a diffuser on it... will automatically switch to flashlight mode if power lost or it's unplugged. That gives you three lights out of the other end with a normal flashlight cone on it.

Off - Hmm....

Flashlight only.

We went back and got a second pack. It's really nice having a handly flashlight/nightlight in most rooms of the house. Seems like it was right at $20 for the set...

I'm sure there are similar ones out there, but just wanted to weigh in on the fact that they are plenty bright for both uses...

Steve

David G Baker
12-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Steve,
I purchased the same set of LED lights you did and I also went back and purchased a second set. I have $40 tied up in night lights but they are not just night lights and flashlights, they also are rechargeable and act as emergency lighting when a power outage occurs. The flashlight part of the light comes on automatically when the power goes out. I have had them in place for about two weeks and I love them. They are placed in critical areas so we can function when the power goes out at night, which it does in my area frequently, and leads me to the area where I can turn off the breakers prior to starting my generator.
I recommend them over regular nights lights.

Chris Padilla
12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I have Maxxim brand of LED night light and it has a hi/lo switch on it. I dunno the wattage but it is bright enough for my kid. :) I got my stuff on eBay. Good company, because the first set of LED night lights from them died very prematurely and they replaced both of them with new, improved versions and they are indeed new and improved and doing just fine. It did cost me shipping to send them back but they turned them around fast. I'm happy.

Roy Hatch
12-23-2007, 9:39 AM
I had been looking on the internet at LED night lights and found them at Lowe's for about the same price. I bought .3 watt (1/3 watt) lights of different designs. One has a flat panel blue light without a sensor and the other had a round spotlight (clear) design with the sensor. The are abut $3.00 each.

When plugging them in during the daytime the light is unimpressive, while the light they emit at night is quite adequate. Now I will have to see if they last for 25 years as the package suggests. At my age, I may burn out before they do.

Roy