PDA

View Full Version : Fitting text to path help

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 1:22 PM
I am having some trouble. I have been sitting here for several hours now trying to find the answer in the help section of Corel and on the net and I give up. Maybe someone can help?

I have an oval mirror. 8x10 inches. The customer wants the name of her niece put on the left and a picture of a rose on the right (and I realize this all has to be backwards to print on the back of the mirror). I typed in the girls name (Kayley) vertical (she wants it vertical) with one letter on top of the other like this
K
A
Y
L
E
Y

Then I tried to use the Fit to Text option in Corel Draw X3. It fits the text to path beautifully but it makes the letters side by side instead of one on top of the other. I tried to use the envelope button and I can get it to form to the curve of the mirror, but it looks terrible (that button moves the shape of the font). I consulted with my own personal helper, Frank Corker (haha!) and he wasn't sure so here I am asking for help, ahem, again :o

Thank you

Lisa

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 1:30 PM
Did you type her name all in one word? You may have to place each letter on the curve and then locate as best you can.

Joe Pelonio
12-18-2007, 2:04 PM
I consulted with my own personal helper, Frank Corker (haha!) and he wasn't sure so here I am asking for help, ahem, again :o

Thank you

Lisa
Frank doesn't know everything?:eek:

I agree with Brian, convert the letters to curves, break apart and move them manually. I don't know of a way to do text to curve the way you need it. Maybe someone that knows more than Frank and I will . . .

Carl Sewell
12-18-2007, 2:05 PM
When you fit the text to the path, look at your property bar (towards the top of the screen). On the left side you will see a box with "ABC" in it. Click on the arrow to the right of that box and select the last option (upright standing ABC) and see if that helps.

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 2:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHEHEHEE,
I got it to work but you have to type her name backwards!!!!
I noticed her name backwards is yelyak, sound like a good name for
one of my girls!

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 3:02 PM
Here it is. I stretched it before fitting to text.

James Jaragosky
12-18-2007, 3:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHEHEHEE,
I got it to work but you have to type her name backwards!!!!
I noticed her name backwards is yelyak, sound like a good name for
one of my girls!
Please explain. with more clarity for us simple folks. you know those of us that can't read minds yet.

I am very cornfused.
Jim J.

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 3:09 PM
Don't let my wife see your picture there Jim, she's already threatened to Velcro the 19 month old to a wall.

KAYLEY spelled backwards is Yel (my 19 month old at naptime) and Yak (my 5 year old girl ALL the time).:D

Larry Bratton
12-18-2007, 3:20 PM
I am having some trouble. I have been sitting here for several hours now trying to find the answer in the help section of Corel and on the net and I give up. Maybe someone can help?

I have an oval mirror. 8x10 inches. The customer wants the name of her niece put on the left and a picture of a rose on the right (and I realize this all has to be backwards to print on the back of the mirror). I typed in the girls name (Kayley) vertical (she wants it vertical) with one letter on top of the other like this
K
A
Y
L
E
Y

Then I tried to use the Fit to Text option in Corel Draw X3. It fits the text to path beautifully but it makes the letters side by side instead of one on top of the other. I tried to use the envelope button and I can get it to form to the curve of the mirror, but it looks terrible (that button moves the shape of the font). I consulted with my own personal helper, Frank Corker (haha!) and he wasn't sure so here I am asking for help, ahem, again :o

Thank you

Lisa
Lisa:
Type your text vertically as before. Then, with the text selected, mirror horizontally, then Arrange/ Break Artistic Text Apart. Then rotate and move each individual letter as you like. Should be what you need.

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 3:27 PM
Here it is. I stretched it before fitting to text.

oh my gosh THANKYOU~!!

I am replying to the whole crew above...........please read

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 3:36 PM
Thank you everyone! I sat here for hours so stressed about it and when I get like that, I try to take a break and remove myself from the situation. So I left the posting here, grabbed my purse and went down to the post office 1 mile away to mail something to a friend. We live in the country (mountains) of PA and we got quite a bit of snow over the past week (about 10 inches sitting out there) so it's quite cold here. Anyway as I left the house, I unlocked the front door and figured I would leave it unlocked. I was only going to be gone ten minutes. I really don't have any neighbors so once in awhile I do leave it unlocked. ANYWAY, I stepped outside and pushed down on the handle to see if the door was still unlocked (habit) and it was locked. I had my keys so I didn't think anything of it. When I got back from the post office, I put the key in the lock and turned it and tried to open the door. Nothing happened. I tried and tried. I was locked out. The house was completely locked. Windows, doors, etc. We have a back glass sliding door, but it is not accessible from the outside by key. So here I was freezing.....and I heard the door handle click. So I turned the key again and the key spun all the way around in the lock (not normal). The door didn't open and then my key was stuck in the door!! GGRRR!!! I called my husband and he was already coming home early by chance so he came home 20 minutes sooner to help me. He is a good size guy (tall and medium build) and he went around back and lifted up the glass door enough that the latch released on the door. I said, I am glad I know this........what if a burglar tried it? So anyway I am just getting back to work after all of that and I don't feel any less stressed! haha! Thanks for all of the comments and help.

Lisa

p.s. Yes my keys are still stuck in the door haha! Hopefully he can get them out when he gets back from his appointment.

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 3:43 PM
Sounds like a fun day, my Dad lives over in Lebanon.
We spent a day in a little town (that shall remain nameless:rolleyes:) just west of you a couple years ago. Wonderful place, in the SUMMER!

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 3:45 PM
Frank doesn't know everything?:eek:

I agree with Brian, convert the letters to curves, break apart and move them manually. I don't know of a way to do text to curve the way you need it. Maybe someone that knows more than Frank and I will . . .

Actually I am sure he knows it, he probably forgot ;) HAHA!

Frank has been an awesome help to me! Actually everyone here as been great :) Frank helps me quite a bit offline.

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 3:49 PM
Sounds like a fun day, my Dad lives over in Lebanon.
We spent a day in a little town (that shall remain nameless:rolleyes:) just west of you a couple years ago. Wonderful place, in the SUMMER!

I have friends from Lebanon, PA :)

What town near me did you spend time in?

Brian Robison
12-18-2007, 3:55 PM
I feel a little strange telling all that read this ( I've never met any of you face to face ) that I spent a whole day in Intercourse!:eek:
I hope I don't get banned!

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 4:22 PM
HAHA! That is three hours south of me. I am in the upper right hand corner of PA. Lancaster County (where you were) is really nice.........but have the strangest (perverted??) sounding names for towns and it's hard to believe since it's Amish Country........but I guess one of these days I will have to look up WHY those towns have those names. Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Blue Ball, Paradise........ what the heck were they thinking??

Lisa

Larry Bratton
12-18-2007, 4:35 PM
HAHA! That is three hours south of me. I am in the upper right hand corner of PA. Lancaster County (where you were) is really nice.........but have the strangest (perverted??) sounding names for towns and it's hard to believe since it's Amish Country........but I guess one of these days I will have to look up WHY those towns have those names. Bird in Hand, Intercourse, Blue Ball, Paradise........ what the heck were they thinking??

Lisa
Now wait..you guys get your mind out of the gutter! Intercourse, simply means an exchange of some sort, Blue Ball could be a Christmas ornament..Paradise..well Lisa that could be where it's WARM without 10 inches of snow etc etc. :)

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 5:52 PM
Now wait..you guys get your mind out of the gutter! Intercourse, simply means an exchange of some sort, Blue Ball could be a Christmas ornament..Paradise..well Lisa that could be where it's WARM without 10 inches of snow etc etc. :)

You are so right Larry. And with ten inches of snow outside right now, I'd love to be in Paradise! :) :) I'll admit it. Sometimes my mind is in the gutter. Okay maybe more than sometimes. Is that normal for a female? Maybe it's not normal to admit it :)

I just burned that mirror.........everything looks good. I am leaving it up to the customer to paint the back (she agreed ahead of time) so she can pick the colors she wants......thanks everyone for the help!!! I did wind up separating the text and placing it where I wanted it like a few people suggested. I tried to use the file Brian shared and when I tried to move the name over a little, it also moved the circle I had as a marker. For some reason the name had attached itself to the circle so I couldn't remove the circle either. I am sure it was something simple but I didn't want to post another question! :o

Lisa

AL Ursich
12-18-2007, 9:59 PM
Lisa,

When it rains it pours.... Sorry to hear about your lock troubles. I did learn something reading your post. I have done text to a path but I wouldn't have been much help on it.

I am ready for winter to be over already... 13 years in San Diego spoiled me.... Still have not swapped out that mirror yet and done the alignment on my Laser, not enough hours in a day.

The local TV station went off the air the other day because of the ice and wind, took down a 30 year old tower.

This is a great place to get answers. I am going to build a rotary vice buying one based on what I found here.

Good Job Lisa :)

AL

Lisa's Neighbor

Lisa Walter
12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Lisa,

When it rains it pours.... Sorry to hear about your lock troubles. I did learn something reading your post. I have done text to a path but I wouldn't have been much help on it.

I am ready for winter to be over already... 13 years in San Diego spoiled me.... Still have not swapped out that mirror yet and done the alignment on my Laser, not enough hours in a day.

The local TV station went off the air the other day because of the ice and wind, took down a 30 year old tower.

This is a great place to get answers. I am going to build a rotary vice buying one based on what I found here.

Good Job Lisa :)

AL

Lisa's Neighbor

Hey Al! :)

We have the same local tv station even though we are two hours apart. If you go to their web site they now have live feed which is pretty neat :)

Don't forget if you need help with lasering until you get yours up and running again, just let me know.

We got 9-10 inches of snow last week and then Sunday they called for a foot but we lucked out with 3 inches of sleet and then two inches of snow. I was thinking of you!

Speaking of the rotary.....I have been using mine alot the last two days. I commented to Rick that I can't believe that rotary cost $1200. It's pretty basic and the wheels look like they are aluminum and will probably strip out over time. I have to remove the wheels to do glasses with handles. Maybe I should take measurements now while they are new so if I have trouble down the road I can make my own. :)

Lisa

Al's neighbor (haha!)

Bill Cunningham
12-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Ya!! thats what I always tell a relative of mine that hails from Dildo Newfoundland...

Larry Bratton
12-19-2007, 1:25 PM
You are so right Larry. And with ten inches of snow outside right now, I'd love to be in Paradise! :) :) I'll admit it. Sometimes my mind is in the gutter. Okay maybe more than sometimes. Is that normal for a female? Maybe it's not normal to admit it :)

I just burned that mirror.........everything looks good. I am leaving it up to the customer to paint the back (she agreed ahead of time) so she can pick the colors she wants......thanks everyone for the help!!! I did wind up separating the text and placing it where I wanted it like a few people suggested. I tried to use the file Brian shared and when I tried to move the name over a little, it also moved the circle I had as a marker. For some reason the name had attached itself to the circle so I couldn't remove the circle either. I am sure it was something simple but I didn't want to post another question! :o

Lisa
Thank goodness it worked! Corel allows EVERYTHING to be rotated, even the guidelines.
I'm sittin down here in sunny South Carolina watching the snow go past on the weather channel. None here yet, but we could sure use some rain.

AL Ursich
12-19-2007, 4:52 PM
That's right, same local TV.

I am really excited about building a rotary for doing stainless travel cups. I think there might be a market for personalized cups. WalMart sells them for 3 bucks.... hard to compete with that.

I have had some success doing CLTT on the stainless, still learning.

I might just send you some mugs to do for me to see if it will work.

AL

Sorry about the off topic....