PDA

View Full Version : Possible to reduce a 3/4" motor shaft to 5/8"?

Paul Johnstone
12-18-2007, 1:15 PM
I have a homemade tool. The motor turns a shaft that looks something like the the picture below (2nd picture). The shaft is 3/4" thick. One end has a disk sander.
However the other end is open. If there was some way I could get an adapter to reduce the opposite end to 5/8", it would open up a lot of options for me.. I could put a buffer at the other end, and there's even a pnumatic drum I could put on.

I've tried looking for an adapter like the first picture. Ideally, I'd want a 3/4 hole and a 5/8" stub.. Does something like this exist? I've googled for some time, and I'm afraid not..
Otherwise, does anyone have any creative solutions?

James Hart
12-18-2007, 1:31 PM
Paul,

If I remember correctly, all the Shopsmith stuff works off of a 5/8" arbor. I bet that crowd has an adaptor floating around that let's them use SS stuff on 3/4" arbors. They have a users group on yahoo and there's another group at www.ssusers.org (http://www.ssusers.org).

Jim

Jamie Buxton
12-18-2007, 1:37 PM
McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has shaft adapters, but you may not like the price -- $70 or so. Instead, how 'bout putting a pulley on the 3/4" shaft, another pulley on a 5/8" jackshaft, and a belt to hook them together?

David Epperson
12-18-2007, 2:06 PM
Why not just turn the end to 5/8" instead of using an adapter?

Bruce Wrenn
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Why not just turn the end to 5/8" instead of using an adapter?Bing, bing, bing, we have a winner. Any machine shop could turn one end of the shaft down to 5/8". I have taken motors that were almost free, and turned the output shaft down, and cut a keyway using the Bridgeport mill.

Gary Keedwell
12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Yup, if you can take the shaft off...it would be real easy to turn it down. Your only taking off a 1/16"th on each side....1/8"th total.
Gary

Todd Burch
12-18-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a homemade tool. The motor turns a shaft that looks something like the the picture below (2nd picture). The shaft is 3/4" thick.

It's called a Pillow Block.

Todd

Paul Johnstone
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas.

I did find an adapter for 3/4" to 1/2", once I knew to google for Shaft adapter.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/longsa.htm

I could use this for a buffer..

Or I may use another idea in this thread to get it to 5/8".. but thanks again.