PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Mahogany and Wenge

David Liles
12-18-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm getting ready to work on a bandsawn box (box itself will be made of Genuine/South American Mahogany and the knobs, of Wenge), and want to get an idea of what to do in terms of finishing when the time comes.

What I want to aim for is to keep the natural colour of the Mahogany when I finish it, but I also want to fill the grain, and create a nice, high gloss look in the end.

When it comes to the Wenge, I'm thinking of just using Tung Oil.

I have chosen these two species because I found a piece of Mahogany with some really nice red colours, and I find the Wenge really creates a nice contrast on top of it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears as finishing is definitely not my forte!

Todd Burch
12-19-2007, 7:06 PM
Boiled linseed oil under lacquer is an excellent finish for Mahogany. You have to realize that within 30 days, your Mahogany is going to change colors from what you have today, and there's nothing you can do about it. It will get significantly darker and richer in color just 3 months later.

Filling the grain is a great idea. A dark paste will look good now, as it will tie the Wenge together with the Mahogany, and over time, it will be even less noticable.

Tung oil on the Wenge will be fine, and you could use it for the Mah. as well, or, just go with BLO for both (cheaper).

If you are turning the knobs yourself, you could get away with a padding lacquer (like Qualasole (sp?) and be done with it before you even take it off the lathe.

Todd

David Liles
12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks for getting back to me!

How many coats would I be looking at?

One recipe I did find was this:
- Fill the grain
- use three coats of Waterlox Original Finish/Sealer (in between coats, buff with #0000 steel wool)
- finish with paste was and then polish with soft cloth

Does that sound reasonable as well?

Happy Holidays,

Todd Burch
12-20-2007, 5:32 PM
I don't use waterlox, so I can't comment.

BLO - 2-3 coats.
Lacquer - what the brand you would use specifies.

Todd