PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer?

Glen Paveglio
12-18-2007, 10:18 AM
After reading the review on jointer/planers in FWW # 190, I’m considering a combination machine for my new shop. All though I appreciate the quality of the European machines (I have a MM 16), they are a little out of my price range. I have been considering the Grizzly G0634 jointer/planer with a spiral cutter head. It seems that many have praised the quality of Grizzly equipment and their customer service on this site. Can anyone provide me with their opinions on the performance and fit and finish of this jointer planer? I also know that Jet has a 12” jointer/planner (JJP-12). Anyone have any experience with machine? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Wilbur Pan
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I haven't been able to see either machine in person, but I do have the Rikon 10" jointer/planer combo (no longer sold, unfortunately). But from looking at the two, I'd rather go with the Jet version, as it has the Euro-style sliding blade guard instead of the pork chop blade guard on the Grizzly. I think that the sliding blade guard does a better job overall since it stays over the blades as you push the board underneath.

Jim Becker
12-18-2007, 11:19 AM
I know there were a few folks who had ordered the Grizzly J/P, but I don't know how many have it in their shops yet. The Jet was recently reviewed by Tom Heinz on his site.

As a J/P user, however, I'll tell you that I'm very pleased with the functionality it gives me in the space allotted. In a one-person shop, I'd not consider going back to separates at this point.

David Axmann
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I have the Grizzly with the spiral cutterhead on order. If you are interested in one you might want to go ahead and get in line. It is currently backordered until May 2008. The 3 knife version is backordered until March I believe.
There was a helpful review posted here a few months ago with lots of pictures.

Dan Lautner
12-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I would go with the Jet. The Jet J/P has been sold in europe for a couple of years as the "JPT-310". I have read good things about it on some of the UK forums. The Jet is much easier to switch from J to P because the fence stays on the machine. I plan on buying the Jet and possibly adding a Byrd head down the road.

Dan

Jude Herr
12-18-2007, 1:11 PM
On the the JET 708475 jointer/planer combo, the Fence (javascript:void(0)) supports aren't as sturdy as they are on a regular Jointer, such as the Powermatic 1285 (http://www.toolking.com/jet-powermatic_1791241.aspx). But for $1700 versus $4000 for the Powermatic 1285, that's quite a value on a 12" JointerPlaner combo. We have a JET 708475 set up in the ToolKing store in Lakewood, CO. It's a nice size and though I haven't gotten to try it, Rick Piel, our resident expert says that it's a great machine.

Scot Ferraro
12-18-2007, 4:37 PM
I would add the Hammer to that list -- I just got one delivered and it is a very smooth machine -- the cost delivered was not much more than the other machines on your list and if you can order it at a show they usually give some additional discounts. The MM FS30 does well in the reviews and there are users that are happy with it too. I am sure that the Jet and Grizzly are nice machines, but I like the fact that MM and Hammer have been shipping to the US for several years and that they have a solid support network in place. This is not to say that WMH or Grizzly does not have this in place too, but they are kind of new to the combination machine market, at least here in the US. Not sure about MM, but Hammer has some nice add-on accessories such as extension tables and a digital handwheel that allows repeatability when planing to .001 -- very nice if you switch back and forth or have to plane stock to a specific thickness on a project to match other parts.

You might want to find someone in your area that has one of these machines to try it out or take a trip to a showroom to see them first hand.

Good luck!

Scot

Glen Paveglio
12-18-2007, 6:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Scot, can you give me a ball park figure on the show price of the Hammer?

Dan Lautner
12-19-2007, 1:51 AM
Glen, I was given a quote recently for just around 3k. After Tax and shipping I think I was very close to 3500. I figure I can get the Jet for around 2000 out the door. I'm sure the hammer is a more refined machine but 1500 is a lot of cash. I'm also down to these two machines. I may try and cut a deal for the hammer at 3k including tax and delivery and buy the jet if they don't bite.

Dan

Eddie Darby
12-19-2007, 4:27 AM
I was at the Byrd site, and did not see a head that will fit the Jet JJP-12 right now, but I am sure that if you contacted them, there is probably one in the works, as demand should be going up once the machine starts to saturate the market. Don't want to wait! Grizzly!

I have tools that have fences that are not as sturdy as I would like, so I modify them with an additional clamp for increased sturdiness. My bandsaw fence for one gets a clamp on it's end when resawing, but it sturdy enough when doing other less demanding cuts. So I see this as a minor issue.

The reason that people want these machines, is that they are real space savers, and here the biggest saver of space seems to be the Jet, since the fence does not stick way out the back.

When shaping rough lumber you are using both planers and jointers, it is nice to be set-up for both jobs, just by wheeling out one machine, hooking up one dust collector, and having to buy just one spiral head for a smoother, quieter cut.

Downside is that some people don't like the lower setting for the planing operations.

I see that the Jet JJP-12 is already selling for lower prices than it's first initial price point of just under $2,000 at around $1,700, so could be lower with in the future. I don't know if Grizzly has put this machine on sale yet or not.

The future probably has other companies getting ready to introduce a combo. Sure would be nice to see what/ if Rikon come back into the market.

Louis Rucci
03-18-2008, 1:06 PM
I'm gathering quite a bit good information here, but can some one tell me some specifics on the Grizzly carbid cutter head.
1. Are replacement blades affordable?
2. What do they cost?
3. Do they automatically align, or is it the same procedure for normal planes

I would rather have a Byrd head, any recommendations are most welcome

Mike Spanbauer
03-18-2008, 1:24 PM
I'm gathering quite a bit good information here, but can some one tell me some specifics on the Grizzly carbid cutter head.
1. Are replacement blades affordable?
Considering they last 10x longer than HSS, extremely (never sharpen them, just rotate as each knife has 4 usable sides)

2. What do they cost?
Each insert runs from 2-4 and depending on the head there are anywhere from 30-140 inserts

3. Do they automatically align, or is it the same procedure for normal planes
Yes. The individual blades are precision machined as well as the head and upon proper registration and insertion are in the correct plane for operation.

I would rather have a Byrd head, any recommendations are most welcome

One last note in addition to those above. The only practical difference between the Byrd and the Grizzly head is that the Grizzly head contacts the surface perpendicular (hits the wood squarely across the entire 'tooth') vs. the Byrd which has a slight angle to every blade resulting in a shearing action rather than a chipping action.

mike