PDA

View Full Version : HVLP & conversion varnish

andy loechler
12-18-2007, 9:50 AM
I'm starting a cabinet project for my home. Laundry, office, Murphy bed ... closet or 3.

I have pretty much everything I need tool wise to complete the cabinets.

However I have always finished by hand. I’m pretty good with finishes and I’m thinking it’s time to invest in a decent spraying system. I think after much consideration I’m going to go with the Q4 PRO Quiet 4-Stage HVLP. I should be able to use this after the cabinet project is done for all kinds of finishing stuff.

The main question left is what type of finish to tackle.

I would really like to try conversion varnish. I understand the pro’s and con’s of conversion varnish vs pre-cat laq or old school nitro laq. The temp / humidity control involved for curing…

I have a garage type workshop the size of about 3 ½ car. I’m always concerned about toxic fumes given off during finishing and I always protect myself and my family.

Is it possible to use these 2 part finishes in a non-professional spray booth safely. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Thanks/

Loren Hedahl
01-02-2008, 3:42 PM
I see no one has commented on this question of safety using conversion varnish -- so here's my comment:

I don't view safety while spraying in the same context as safety while driving a car, or operating a power tool.

The reason is the effects of an accident in a car or while using a power tool is known and experienced immediately.

The effect of breathing contaminated air due to the spraying process is often delayed. In fact from what I've read it takes a cancer cell about 20 years of continuous reproducing to get to be a 1 inch diameter mass at which time it is easily detectable. Continuing to grow, it will be about 2 inches in another 6 months and four in a year.

So, speculating that the next time I spray conversion varnish, even though I wear the proper mask, etc., it sets off the first reproduction of a cancer cell that my immune system doesn't kill off, and continues unsuppressed, I can figure on 20 to 25 years lifespan. Since I am in my middle sixties, that would put my demise in the middle to late eighties.

Since both my parents died in their early eighties, I might pass this off as a non issue and go blithely on my way spraying anything and everything I desire with conversion varnish, since it is likely I will be taken by a heart attack before the cancer gets its chance.

Do I? Well, yes and no. I do spray conversion varnish but I do it in a carport that is open on both ends when there is a light wind blowing on a hot dry summer day while wearing the proper respirator.

So am I hedging my bets? You betcha! I also eat oatmeal, take my vitamins, wear a seat belt and try to get a full eight hours sleep.

Also, I'm not sure it makes much difference whether conversion varnish, pre-cat or nitro celluous lacquer. It all has bad stuff in it.

Any more comments?

Peter Froh
01-02-2008, 4:46 PM
I've used some Target coatings and really like them as they are water based. I have the Fuji 4 stage system and they work well with it.

Here is their conversion varnish information for you to read up on: http://www.targetcoatings.com/oxford-hybri-varnish.html

They have a discussion form on their site, have a read through and see if it will work for you. FYI: I've never used their hybrivarnish product.