PDA

View Full Version : Charging for pens

Jon Lanier
12-18-2007, 12:06 AM
What is a basic rule of thumb for pricing pens? I've heard some folks double the cost of making the pen, or even triple. Other's get even more detailed on their pricing. Isn't there some simple way of determining this with out bursting my brain?

Harvey M. Taylor
12-18-2007, 2:54 AM
This question comes up quite often, and there is no pat answer.You can make a pen out of pink ivory, the most expensive wood in the world, and if it isnt pleasing to the eye you will have a problem selling it.You can show at a side-of-the-road flea market and you wont get 10 dollars for a 45 dollar pen. Look at your quality and target your market. Kits range from 1.75 each to 4 and 5 or more dollars. Some folks use a mathematical formula to arrive at a price, but if the quality isnt there, you are wasting their and your time.In the final analysis your quality and the market you are in determines the price. My thoughts, Max

Alex Elias
12-18-2007, 4:15 AM
As Harvey said if you want top $$$ for your work you need top quality products. Fit and finish must match what you ask for. On the other end a product is worth what the customer is willing to pay and also the marlet where you are. There is when your salesmanship comes in. First don't be afraid to ask and second you should be able to justify your price. I've sold slims on average for $30 at first and now I sell them between $40 and $50 mostly $40 but I've sold them for as much as $60 depending on what I've done and again what the customer is willing to pay. Don't forget, you should be able to justify why $50 or even $60 when their friend paid $40 for a similar pen. That could be plating, materials use to make the pen may be you've inlaid something.
Once I got 5 pieces of spoted Ebony, I consider the wood to be a rare find (at least the one I got) I sold all of them from $100 on Jr Gent's and $150 on a Jr Emperor. So special materials I sell for more. Turn true stone blue lapis and you'll see the pen is a true eye catcher, also it is a pita to turn so again 3 sales for $150 a piece.
On a more general rule the prices I'll sell the pen unless I've made something I took me a long time varies about +/- $5 so here it is.
Slims $45
Jr gent $80 for Jr statement I double the difference on the hardware cost since the pen is more exclusive.
Gent $90 and Staement same as the above
Sierra $60
Cigar $50
Panache $70
Euro $50
Again when you start making closed end pens, inlaid, segmenting, skins, experimental castings, stars and stripes kind of kits, antler, and bla bla bla you'll kind of sell that for twice. Special request also I charge more, people like to tell you how they want their pen a shape a color I alway tell them I can make what they want and for the most part they are willing to pay for a unique customise pen just the way they want it.
I hope this helps a bit instead of getting you all confused. Did I go overboard?
Most important of all make it fun and enjoy what you do. Oh be proud of your work and show it.
Regards,
Alex

Keith Beck
12-18-2007, 9:54 AM
Wow Alex, $45 for a slimline?! I need to move to California! My slims generally go for $20 or $25, depending on the material and the type of kit. I guess it comes down to Economics 101, you charge what the market will bear.

Keith

Raymond Overman
12-18-2007, 10:45 AM
From past experience...

Slimlines $25 - $50
Cigars $35 - $50
Baron Rollerballs $75-$100+
Baron Fountains $85 - $125+

Pricing depends on the market, the material and the design. For instance, stag horn slim lines sell easily at $40 and $50. Cabinet grade clear maple slimlines are hard to sell at $5. To sell a Baron Rollerball at $100+ you have to have some inlay added where a $75 Baron Rollerball can be a nice figured burl.

It's all about where you're selling it too. If it's in a booth at a church bazaar you may not be able to sell a $100+ baron but $25 slimlines might work. At a boutique stationary or gift store, the $25 slimlines might be looked over.