PDA

View Full Version : making a carving knife

Zahid Naqvi
12-18-2007, 12:04 AM
I have made a couple of marking knives out of jigsaw blades and they worked out pretty good. I need a carving knife and was wondering if I can make one by myself. I have seen Derek Cohen make some and some other neanders do the same. I am pretty confident about the wood part, need some advice on the metal work.

John Schreiber
12-18-2007, 12:57 AM
I've made some nice ones from straight razors or old chisel blades. Here's a link on making them with straight razors. Link (http://www.littleshavers.com/RazorKnife.html)

The hard part for me was removing material at a pace fast enough while not ruining the temper of the blade.

I found blades at a flee market. Some damage doesn't matter since you will be removing a lot of the blade.

Derek Cohen
12-18-2007, 3:49 AM
Zahid

Try using old Stanley plane blades, ones that have been used up to the slot.

They are good high carbon steel and the right thickness for carving knives.

There - damn, my secret is out! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thom Sturgill
12-18-2007, 7:25 AM
My dad made violins and mostly used small woodworking tools. I remember my dad's collection of knives and chisels were mostly made from broken files. You have to anneal the metal to soften and then re-temper it after you've shaped it. Otherwise, it will just wear down your grinder, but it makes an excellent blade when you do it right.

Zahid Naqvi
12-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Zahid
Try using old Stanley plane blades, ones that have been used up to the slot.
They are good high carbon steel and the right thickness for carving knives.

Thanks Derek, I actually do have trashed blade that can be used for this purpose.

John, I'll keep my eyes open for old chisels, flea markets around here are too few and very expensive, I have been meaning to try out the estate sales etc.

Ron Petley
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, if you go slow you can shape one but it is slow going, if you do not get one made by spring time e mail me and remind me and I will make you a couple and you can put the handles on. I have made a few for some of the other neanders.
Cheers Ron.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66744&highlight=knife

Jeff Wittrock
12-18-2007, 8:13 PM
A long time ago I made a knife using an old file. I remember my brother showing me how to re-temper the steel by heating the blade cherry hot then quenching the blade in old, used motor oil. My brother told me something about the high carbon content of the used motor oil and and the rapid quenching, bla.. bla.. (I was just a kid at the time and didn't listen too well). I do remember after all was done, it held an edge pretty well, so maybe he really knew what he was talking about. I can only guess that the quality of the steel used for the file had a lot to do with it as well.

I remember worrying about the hot steal going into the flammable oil :(. I never had an accident, so again, maybe my brother knew what he was talking about.

-Jeff

Clint Jones
12-20-2007, 2:05 PM
Zahid, If you need some beater chisels to cut up you can have a few of mine. I can send them or if youre down this way you can pick them up, just let me know. -Clint