PDA

View Full Version : Great router table dust collection.

keith ouellette
12-17-2007, 11:45 PM
I have only been using a makeshift fence with a 4" hose clamped to the vicinity and chips and dust went every where but in the hose. I didn't have money for a real fence so i decided to make one out of scrap birch plywood.
I remembered seeing a wonder fence that had collection at the end but thought it looked a little small foe a four inch port so i built a 5"X4" square hollow tub with plywood and dados. Attached a 4" hose at one end and plugged up the other end. I then cut a hole for the bit. I know some people won't believe me but almost none of the chips/dust seems to escape even when I raise a panel. I think the bit is flinging the chips in the right direction down the inside of the fence which can only help. I don't have a pic of my prototype to show ( don't know how to post a picture either) but it is pretty straight forward and works really well for those of you planning to build a router fence.

Phil Thien
12-18-2007, 8:42 AM
I had done something similar but then found that when I was putting a grove down the middle of a board I didn't have a good dust collection solution. So I build a down-draft box and use it w/ my shop vac. I no longer use any fence collection, the down-draft box gets everything.