PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone. I'm the new guy.

Jamie Siegel
12-17-2007, 9:43 PM
I'm not sure if this is the proper location for this introduction, but it seems appropriate anyway.

My name is Jamie and I'm from West Allis, WI. (Milwaukee, basically)
I am 37 and have been interested in wood working basically since I was a kid.
I've briefly done rough frame construction for a living but with out door weather conditions in WI, I opted for indoor work.

I am presently working as a furniture restorer. I do basic glue ups and repairs, some stripping, and a bit of finish work.
I have a small shop in my garage which keeps me tinkering around in my spare time, it presently includes a table saw, sander, drill stand, miter saw, a nice sized (4x8) work bench, and quite a few hand tools and power tools.

I am mostly self taught, and I have quite a bit to learn. I may be able to chime in from time to time with some experiences, but I will most likely be asking questions and researching.

I have repaired many chairs so far, but I am going to make from red oak, a rocking chair for my 4 yr. old daughter, and then a crib for my sister's future baby. I'm using a beat to snot and un-repairable kid's rocker as a template for the chair I am making, but will be running into problems with the seat. I need to research how to hollow out the seat and then how I figure out how to place the holes for spindles and arm rests. I believe I just use a sliding T bevel, measure off the old chair, and go to town. Like I said, I need to gather information on the topic. I'm going to go cruise the boards here in a minute and look for information on tools for the job. I don't have an adze and I don't really want to get one or take a forest worth of trees figuring out how to use it.
I could see myself using a scorp for the job or an inshave, but I don't really know if I should get one for just a few projects (one at the moment, perhaps more.) I think it best to just use a big gouge from work and see what happens.

This is going to be a rather large project for me and will test my present skill set. I'm going to have to learn for this project which is why I am here.
I look forward to the site's offerings, it seems pretty nice so far.

So, if you guys don't mind a Brewers/Packers fan coming on board, I'm going to stick around for a while.

Todd Burch
12-17-2007, 9:52 PM
Welcome Jamie!

Todd
(Go Cowboys!!!)

Ted Shrader
12-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Hi Jamie,

Welcome. This is a great place to hang out and get/exchange information. Word of caution - Pictures required for gloats, projects, ect. or it just didn't happen :) ;) :)

Good luck on the chair work.

Regards,
Ted

Jude Tuliszewski
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek :D. Check out The New Yankee Workshop (NYW), Norm did a couple of Windsor chairs and the info from that project should help you with the rocker.

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2007, 1:37 AM
Welcome to SMC..!!!!!!

Wade on in and enjoy the water. Lots of great folks here with a wide base of skill and knowledge. How about you teaching us how to repair a chair? ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2007, 1:46 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jamie!

Glenn Clabo
12-18-2007, 7:18 AM
Welcome Jamie...
And don't worry about being a Brewers/Packers fan...everyone has a weakness or two.
Go Red Sox/Pats!