PDA

View Full Version : Keepsake box

Bobby McCarley
12-17-2007, 9:24 PM
Decided to do some flatwork for a change. This is a box I made for my sons neighbor. He asked if I could make a box, something simple, for his girlfriend. I had this maple that a friend gave me lying around the shop so I decided to use it. I think if my friend knew the wood would clean up this good he wouldn’t have gotten rid of it. I sanded it to 600 and applied 3 coats of tung oil and then buffed it out with tripoli, white diamond and then carnauba wax. He was verry pleased with it.

Bobby

Ron Jones near Indy
12-17-2007, 9:28 PM
That's a really nice looking box. Only good friends give that kind of wood away. You made the most of it.

David Tiell
12-17-2007, 9:28 PM
Beautiful box! The figure in that wood is simply breathtaking! BTW, is that based on the plans in the latest WOOD magazine?

Mike Langford
12-17-2007, 9:43 PM
Boy! I'd say that wood cleaned up REAL good!!! :eek:

Nice work on the box, Bobby.

Glen Blanchard
12-17-2007, 9:45 PM
WOW, that is one beautiful box. The figure on the wood is nothing short of spectacular. Wonderful job !!!

Lance Norris
12-17-2007, 9:47 PM
Very nice. I love boxes.

Mike Zozakiewicz
12-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Great looking box, love that figure!

Claudio Olivas
12-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Beautiful work Bobby.

Bill Wyko
12-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Great job Bobby. I got my hands on some Quilted Maple like that too. Sure makes for some fine work.

Dan Barr
12-17-2007, 11:47 PM
That Quilted Maple is going for $26.00 / bf in my neck of the woods.

I wish i could find some Quilted maple for free too. LOL

:D

Very beautiful to say the least. working with wood and seeing other creations always sparks a certain something that nothing else does. i think its the unique character that every piece has. you can never EVER reproduce the exact same thing with wood. And that, gets me every time.

v/r

dan

Chris Cobb
12-18-2007, 8:05 AM
Great box and just beautiful wood!

Can you tell me a little more about your approach to the finish? I'm making my first box (bubinga and spalted mango). I plan to use tung oil on it as well. I just am not certain how to go about getting that great glow it seems your box has. I've already sanded the pieces to 220. I guess I'll sand some more!

I'm particularly interested in how you applied the tung oil, any sanding or whatever between coats and then the comments about the wax.

oh, and I'm real new to all of this, so I don't know what tripoli or diamond is.

thanks in advance.

Todd Bin
12-18-2007, 8:42 AM
Not to speak for Mr. McCarley, but the Tripoli, White Diamond, Carnuba Wax is called the Beall buffing system. Do a google on it. It is about $60-$70 for the system. You will also need a grinder motor to run the buffing pads.

Glenn Clabo
12-18-2007, 9:00 AM
Bobby,
What I love about your work is it's simple but elegant design that shows off the beautiful wood. A perfect balance.

Thom Sturgill
12-18-2007, 11:18 AM
He was verry pleased with it.

Bobby
I should hope to say! That's one beautiful box.

gary Zimmel
12-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Bobby

Excellent work on the box ! Your going to make your sons neighbor very happy.

David Lopez
12-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Bobby,

Beautiful work. I wished my boxes "cleaned" up like that!

Bobby McCarley
12-19-2007, 6:42 AM
Thanks for all of the comments, they are appreciated.

Chris, I would sand to at least 400 and I hand sanded mine. Then I flooded the wood with tung oil, let it set for a few minutes and then wiped off the excess. Let it dry completely. I lightly sanded with 400 between coats and repeated the process. After three coats of oil and drying I buffed it with the tripoli, white diamond and carnuba wax.

Again thanks for the comments.

Bobby
Louisiana

Rich Torino
12-19-2007, 8:25 AM
Great job... that maple is pretty amazing. What type of joinery did you use??