PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup

Todd Crow
12-17-2007, 8:36 PM
I have been using Sketchup to layout my new shop and I have been able to find most of my tools already modeled that I could use.

However I was unable to find drum sander. I was hoping someone has drawn the Delta Drum Sander and a belt/disk sander in Sketchup?

Thanks
Todd

Charles Wiggins
12-17-2007, 8:58 PM
I have been using Sketchup to layout my new shop and I have been able to find most of my tools already modeled that I could use.

However I was unable to find drum sander. I was hoping someone has drawn the Delta Drum Sander and a belt/disk sander in Sketchup?

Thanks
Todd

Unfortunately I can't help with the sander model. But nice mock-up! For a moment there I fritzed and actually thought I could grab the image and rotate it around and look at it from another angle. Man I need some sleep.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 11:57 PM
I believe I drew my Performax 22-44 and if I can actually remember to check for it, I'll post on Wednesday if it exists. I don't have access to that computer right now.

Brian Penning
12-18-2007, 6:07 AM
Where's the DC unit?
Reason I'm asking is I remember having my shop all planned out and then once everything was setup the DC unit's hoses would've made the shop look like an octopus had found a home. Had to rearrange everything too cut down the amount of ductwork.

Todd Franks
12-18-2007, 8:39 AM
Todd,

I'm pretty much a SketchUp hack at this point so take this into consideration. I don't know close your Delta model would be, but here is my rendering of my Performax 16-32 with infeed and outfeed extensions.

-Todd

Lewis Cobb
12-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Where's the DC unit?
Reason I'm asking is I remember having my shop all planned out and then once everything was setup the DC unit's hoses would've made the shop look like an octopus had found a home. Had to rearrange everything too cut down the amount of ductwork.

Brian - speaking of octapus (or is that octapi...) - you're shop didn't end up looking something like this did it? :D

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/LewisCobb/Woodworking%20Workshop/1-1.jpg

Thom Sturgill
12-18-2007, 1:36 PM
Now if only I could get sketch-up running under Linux:confused:.
I have a good 2D CAD program, but have seen some really neat 3D sketch-up drawings, this one included!

Dave Tinley
12-18-2007, 1:49 PM
Todd-
I have a drawing of a ShopFox dual drum if that helps. Let me know and I can emal to you. I think its too large to post here.

Dave

John Schreiber
12-18-2007, 4:31 PM
Here's a quickie of the Delta Drum Sander. I'll add more detail later.

Picture:77435
Skippy:77434

Todd Crow
12-18-2007, 4:54 PM
Now if only I could get sketch-up running under Linux:confused:.
I have a good 2D CAD program, but have seen some really neat 3D sketch-up drawings, this one included!
Thom,

Try this out for SketchUp on Linux

http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2007/12/google-sketchup-6-on-linux-and-freebsd.html

Todd

Gary Muto
12-18-2007, 5:51 PM
I believe I drew my Performax 22-44 and if I can actually remember to check for it, I'll post on Wednesday if it exists. I don't have access to that computer right now.
Thanks. I can use the model for the 22-44" as well.

Todd Crow
12-18-2007, 8:16 PM
Lewis,

Is that a SketchUp drawing?

What/where did you get the images for the duct fittings.
Todd

Lewis Cobb
12-18-2007, 8:28 PM
Lewis,

Is that a SketchUp drawing?

What/where did you get the images for the duct fittings.
Todd

Hi Todd -

Yep - and I checked it tonight and I am up to about 15meg on that file :eek: If you want a copy I will e-mail it to you but figured I'd better let you know the size in case your server gags....happens to me all the time.

The fittings - pretty much hacked them together myself and they don't really match in a few places but they are "close enough for government work" as they say :cool: I did peruse a few places on the internet at the time to get the dims as close to the real spiral pipe fittings as I could.

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail if you would like the file.

Cheers,
Lewis

Eric Wong
12-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Where did you find all the models? I haven't looked around that much, but I love SketchUp.

John Schreiber
12-19-2007, 9:57 AM
Here's a better model of the Delta 18" x 36" Drum Sander 31-255X

I was home sick from work yesterday and did this mostly with one hand due to surgery on the other.:D:confused:

The file is too big to put into this forum. It's available through the 3D Warehouse at: Delta 18" x 36" Drum Sander - 31-255X (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=b7e2f05d5735f8cadac180f6cbb77877)

Lewis Cobb
12-19-2007, 9:58 AM
Where did you find all the models? I haven't looked around that much, but I love SketchUp.

Hi Eric - there's some files that were created by fine woodworking a while back that have a number of woodworking machines and I think they are in the 3D warehouse. If not, I will try and locate them and let you know- I can e-mail them to you if you want.

Also - do a search on the 3Dwarehouse for models using the term "woodworking" - there's a bunch that come up. I took some of them and modified them to the general exterior dimensions for the machines I am planning for my shop. Even though they may not look exactly like the units I am planning to get, they give a good sense of space and fit in the room. It's been great to load them in and then start shuffling them around the room to find the best location. However, the one thing I think that I learned from this whole exercise was to place everything on casters anyway as there's no ideal location that will never change :)

I've been playing with Sketchup for about a year and really love it - in fact I have probably spent more time in my virtual workshop than my real one trying to plan things out properly. It's the journey, not the destination as I tell my wife.....:D

Good luck,

Lewis

John Schreiber
12-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Google's 3D warehouse is the main place, but there are others out there.

If you have SketchUp open and make sure the tool bar is available (View/Toolbars/Google), there's an icon which looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it. Click on that and their are lots and lots of models available. There's not a lot for woodworking, but it's a cooperative effort and everyone can add their own. Then there will be many more.

Joe Skinner
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Speaking of Sketchup, is there a good tutorial out there? I watched the one that came with Sketchup, but it seems I am too dense to get it. I have spent about an hour on it 3 or 4 times and just got so frustrated I gave up.

Chris Foley
12-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Joe,

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Creek. This is a fantastic place to learn alot and save alot of $$ too! :D I would suggest that you post this question in the Design Forum. That is really where all the Sketch Up users hang out (although many of them are here too).

As for where to learn, start slow. Build a few boxes, boards or just lines. Learn one command first and then expand. The tutorials are only good if you use them and try each command in SU yourself. If you have a specific question, post it in the Design forum and I am sure we can answer your questions.

Cheers!
Chris

Lewis Cobb
12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Speaking of Sketchup, is there a good tutorial out there? I watched the one that came with Sketchup, but it seems I am too dense to get it. I have spent about an hour on it 3 or 4 times and just got so frustrated I gave up.

One thing that I found very useful was to be working for a company that was almost ready to go bankrupt - I had plenty of time to tinker and play with Sketchup for literally days on end as there was nothing else to do :eek: Seriouly though, you need to take it one step at a time as Chris has pointed out, and hang out in the design forum as well. I found the video tutorials very useful on the Sketchup site and as Chris said, "moused along" with them to see how the various functions work. You're going to love Sketchup once you get the hang of it.

Lewis

Chris Foley
12-19-2007, 10:51 AM
. You're going to love Sketchup once you get the hang of it.

Lewis

Yep...especially the PRICE!!!!:)

Larry James
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
In the Design Forum, I have posted some SketchUp resources.

If you have any to share please add them to the thread.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=722956#post722956

Larry

Keith Beck
12-19-2007, 5:46 PM
Man, you guys are good! I wish I had your mad skills (as my kids would say) in Sketchup.

Keith

Todd Crow
12-20-2007, 12:30 AM
John,

Thanks for drawing the sander, that completed my shop.

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/Pengilly_Shop_Remodel.jpg

Joe Skinner
12-20-2007, 9:45 AM
Didn't realize that was my first post here. I guess I have been lurking for a while.

I will check out the design forum and give the SU another shot.

John Schreiber
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Todd that looks great. Don't know if you realize, but I drew up the cyclone you are using too. In fact, I've got a collection of dust collection models in the 3D warehouse.

SketchUp is fun for me.

Larry James
12-20-2007, 2:36 PM
Todd that looks great. Don't know if you realize, but I drew up the cyclone you are using too. In fact, I've got a collection of dust collection models in the 3D warehouse.

SketchUp is fun for me.
John,

I viewed your Google 3D Warehouse collection in the past, but did not know it was posted by a creeker. Good collection for WW'ers.

How about posting a link to your collection in my design forum post - SketchUp Resources - Post Yours (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71768) - I'm sure there are others who would find it helpful. As you mentioned, "lots and lots of models available." I'v spent many hours looking for components in 3D Warehouse, and have added many to my SketchUp components folder. The 3D Warehouse search function is often not very useful, but I think that has a lot to do with how the collections and models are named. A search for "dust collection" found your collection 1st try.

SketchUp is fun, most of the time.
Larry

Brent Ring
12-20-2007, 2:51 PM
Todd,

In looking at your sketchup model, it looks like you built the Popular Woodworking Miter Saw Station with the foldup wings. If so, can you tell me how you like it?

Thanks

Todd Crow
12-20-2007, 4:11 PM
Brent,

I really like my miter saw station. Being mobile has been advantageous for me when doing unusual projects out of the shop that the mitersaw can be handy for.

I made a dust hood for the station with a 5" port, it seems to get most of the dust.

I installed wider wings than the plans showed. Also, I installed a fence the full length of the wings, and didn't run the fence in front of the stock fence. I didn't want to give up that crosscut capability.

After using the cabinet for a while the only thing I would change from the way I built it is to install drawers in the cabinet instead of the doors and shelves.

Todd

http://www.crowsnest.us/images/DCP_0815.jpg