PDA

View Full Version : re-saw band saw question

Michael Hammers
12-17-2007, 5:48 PM
Hi,
It looks like this March or April I will be able to finally get a large bandsaw. Unless I go with a euorpean brand then it will be summer.
I want to use it for re-sawing as we have a sawmill at the shop. I have been looking at a MiniMax and also the Laguna. I am also looking at the Grizzly. I would like to know from folks who have used them if it is worth (in their humble opinion) the nearly twice the price tag for a european saw. Not trying to start a firestorm, but it is a big purchase for myself.
Thanks!

Jude Kingery
12-17-2007, 6:12 PM
Michael, I can't give you a comparison, but can tell you we bought a Laguna 4-5 years ago, and really like it! It's a 16HD. We bought it used and it was very clean and well cared for; good price and man it does everything we want to do, from large bowl blanks to resawing. Came with ceramic guides, very nice saw. So just our two cents worth is all. But again, while I've used smaller bandsaws years and years ago, I've never used anything European, so can't compare, but can tell you the Laguna is worth it's salt in our opinion. Jude

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-17-2007, 6:22 PM
I'm looking at the Minimax MM class 16" saw (the more expensive of the two 16" saws) . I am getting myself convinced that it is the industry gold standard.

I am most un-comfortable buying anything from Laguna since my rather negative experience with them trying to sell me a TSS and no one at the USA end of things could talk to me about anything technical and when I asked for a tech manual or for the sales man to ask Tech a question I was told there is no US tech service.

EEEK.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 6:42 PM
The Euro machines have been the "gold standard" in this space for some time, but that's also spurred on some offerings from other brands like Grizzly to provide more weight, function and power from a competitive standpoint. I personally went with a MM machine, but have been impressed with the competitive spirt in the marketplace. I never did get warm fuzzy's in any conversations I had with Laguna, but others have been quite happy. Also, check out Agazzani from Eagle Tool if you are considering MM and Laguna. Another good Euro machine that's well respected.

Mike Wilkins
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Another vote for Laguna here. Have had a LT18 since 2001 and love it. Originally came with the Euro guides, but after frying the thrust bearing, updated to the ceramic guides. Smooth sailing since.
There are other players in the big bandsaw game. Depending on where you live, shipping cost may also play a factor in your decision. Adwood in High Point, NC carries the Agazzani line of machines, Laguna in CA, Minimax in TX, and Grizzly everywhere.
Good luck.

warren kafitz
12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I have had the mini max 16" since april of 2002 and never a problem, Mine is for resaw only and I use timberwolf blades. I started out using a lenox carbide blade but it only lasted a few month until metal fatigue cracked the band in several places. At least 50% or resawing is in the blade but the machine has to be solid, the mm16 is built like a tank.
Warren Kafitz
Belmont NC

Montgomery Scott
12-18-2007, 10:57 AM
One thing you will notice is that Grizzly is trying to compete with the European saws with its extreme series saws. I would still choose the MM16 over these as the price for the Grizzly is $2000 and the MM16 is $2300, though Grizzly will beat MiniMax on shipping costs, and the European saws are proven performers. The much cheaper Grizzly saws simply are not in the same league as the European saws.

Hank Knight
12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Michael,

I've had a Laguna LT 18 for about 4 years. I really like it and it does a fine job at resawing. I know Laguna customer service has gotten a bad rap here and elsewhere on the internet, but I've not had a problem with them. When My saw arrived it was fitted with the wrong size lower blade guide bracket. I phoned Laguna and they sent the correct one out immediately. I had it in hand 2 days later. I have not had any dealings wht Laguna CS since. I have found their sales people to be little aggressive. They almost drove me away from Laguna initially with their heavy sales tactics, and I still get calls from them every 5 or 6 months trying to sell me a new machine. But that's not a big issue for me; I just tell them, "Don't call me, I'll call you when I want something." I'm glad I stuck with my decision to buy the Laguna. It's a fine machine.

There has been much written here and elsewhere about the relative merits of various band saws. Everybody has their favorite and advocates strongly for it. When the dust settles, I believe any of the top brands - Laguna, MiniMax, Agazzani, and probably some of the newer offerings from the likes of Jet and Grizzly - would serve you well.

My $.02

Hank

Michael Hammers
12-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the replies y'all. Honestly from the minute ammount of research I have done I do not think I could go wrong with any of the choices. Living in southern Indiana puts me at a disadvantage for going to a dealer, and makes it abit worrisome about future service. Truthfully I will probbly opt for the best "customer service" machine. I would like to stick with American made, but I have heard scant info on the Powermatic's and they are less in H.P. as I have found out.
I think the hard part is going to be prying open the wallet:(

John Karam
12-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Check out this link below....it has a lot of the past threads about bandsaws on it....
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68892&highlight=bandsaw+links

There is a lot of talk about both laguna and grizzly so you might find it usefull.

I ended up with a laguna, but like Jim said, never got good feelings from talking with their people. The main reason I went with them is because I got a good price, otherwise I would have bought a grizzly (which would have been bigger and have a few extras too).

Lee Hingle
12-19-2007, 1:33 PM
Michael,
John's post above has a great link on bandsaw threads. Check out the last one (with comments from Shiraz) for a great comparison on Laguna vs Grizzly HD saws.
Lee