PDA

View Full Version : Alabaster / soap stone turnings

Paul Engle
12-17-2007, 5:38 PM
I watched a youtube vid on turning alabaster with a wood foot and rim and oh yea way cool. If anyone has or knows of a reliable place to purchase some please pm me. Especially if you have an out crop on your property, seems that stuff is all over the place. oh yea and the LOML saw it .... need I say more???

Neal Addy
12-17-2007, 7:05 PM
Paul, here's the good place. He has some great info on turning as well. Be sure to visit Max Krimmel's site, too.

http://www.coloradoalabaster.com/

John Shuk
12-17-2007, 8:43 PM
You might want to go on the AAW forum as well. I know Angelo Iafrate turns both and has a pretty good source. I saw him demo soapstone one night and it is neat stuff.
Be prepared to have a mess to clean up if you turn that stuff.

Pat Doble
12-17-2007, 9:49 PM
I've watched that series of videos too. End result looks amazing, but the work of either cleaning up and/or the prep to minimize that cleanup is more than I'm willing to do right now. I've got a wood parquet floor in the shop and just don't like the idea of heavy wetsanding and the spatter.

Paul Engle
12-18-2007, 5:38 PM
Yea, the mess made may not be worth it, I think I will wait till summer and move the lathe outside to do my first piece, and/or maybe build a " stone only lathe " out side for fair weather work, and at 1.60 to 3$ + per pound, I may have to save my allowance for a while:(. I looked at Max's site and boy he sure is good.He said it could be sanded wet or dry but I dont know bout dry , I have polished granite and marble and it was all done wet..and it is a mess. Now I really wish I hadn't waited 30 yrs .....oh well. thanks guys for the info!

Wayne Bitting
12-19-2007, 8:34 AM
Paul - when you are ready to get it a try try contacting Ron Coleman. His post pushed me over the edge to give it a try. I started to buy stuff, but then other things came up and I never got there. I found another supplier (no affiliation)

http://www.sculpturehouse.com/stone_carving3.aspx

They have various colors of soapstone and grades of alabaster. I think the translucent stuff would be great to play with. Picked out "disposable" carbide machinist tools from McMaster Carr so I didn't have to worry about killing my regular tools. But like I said, never ended up getting everything and trying it. Good luck!

Ralph Lindberg
12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Paul
Just in case you don't know, never buy stone from an unknown source. By that I mean you must use care and insist that the stone is asbestos free.
The dangers are just not worth the issues.

Toney Robertson
12-19-2007, 9:59 PM
I watched a youtube vid on turning alabaster with a wood foot and rim and oh yea way cool. If anyone has or knows of a reliable place to purchase some please pm me. Especially if you have an out crop on your property, seems that stuff is all over the place. oh yea and the LOML saw it .... need I say more???

Link? I did numerous searches and I could not find the video that you are talking about.

Sounds interesting.

TIA

Toney

Pat Doble
12-20-2007, 9:36 AM
Search 'SpikeFinch' in/at YouTube. A 3 part series.

Paul Engle
12-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Toney try Max's site it has a GREAT tutorial on the subject and his work is simply amazing ....
Thanks for everyones replys , I am going to order a 3"x3" cylinder of white Italian alabaster stone and give a shake down run shortly. The asbestos thing is a concern, having worked in navy ship yard for 7 years, I got a first hand experience with that stuff....good tip.

http://www.maxkrimmel.com/

Todd Lord
12-23-2007, 2:02 PM
Hey Paul, I've been turning rock for several years and I love it. I may go exclusively to alabaster and soapstone.
Sure it maybe messy but it sure is powerful and the WOW factor is great! Randy at neolithic.com is a great source for soapstone and for beautiful alabaster go see Stan at coloradoalabaster.com, his pink,white and Italian alabaster is hard to beat. The tools don't have to be hard to get either.
I am even segmenting rock. Work it dry all the way.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-23-2007, 2:36 PM
I am even segmenting rock.
Some pics please. That sounds like it could look pretty cool. Not sure I have seen anything like that.

Todd Lord
12-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Her is a picture of my latest segmented vase.
Darn! how do I post a picture guys, I clicked on the "add picture" and it wont do any thing.... what do I do now?

Jim Becker
12-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Her is a picture of my latest segmented vase.
Darn! how do I post a picture guys, I clicked on the "add picture" and it wont do any thing.... what do I do now?

See the tutorial at the top of the "Forum Technical Support" forum here at SMC for instructions on how to upload and post pictures.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Todd Lord
12-25-2007, 11:17 PM
This first vase is 180 pcs. of Canadian soapstone and the second is 50 pcs. of Italian alabaster and Utah orange alabaster.(look at the sunburst on top of the second one)

Christopher Zona
12-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Todd,

That's some great turning with a different medium.

Tom Sherman
12-26-2007, 9:58 AM
Tod that is some awesome work, love both pieces. What kind of glue do you use.

Jim Becker
12-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Todd, wonderful work. I especially love that alabaster piece in the second photo.

Todd Lord
12-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Tod that is some awesome work, love both pieces. What kind of glue do you use.
I use any thing that I would for wood.
Wood glue is more flexable for putting wood on rock as it moves and breaks loose from the rock. That's why I use contrasting rock on rock.
Todd

John 3:17

Tim A. Mitchell
12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Very nice pieces Todd. THat has helped peak my interest in that medium, although I need more work on wood still :)
Thanks for showing.

Bob Way
12-27-2007, 8:13 AM
Very nice, Todd. Can I ask what you use to cut the stone segments?

Todd Lord
12-27-2007, 8:08 PM
Very nice, Todd. Can I ask what you use to cut the stone segments?
I use a 60 tooth blade to cut soap and a dry masonry blade from home depot in my table saw and one in my chop saw.