PDA

View Full Version : Though not new to turning....

Bill White
12-17-2007, 4:30 PM
I have not ever used the chuck or headstock screw. You know, the coarse threaded thingy used to hold stuff.
Any tips, 'cause I've not heard them mentioned?
Bill

Bob Hamilton
12-17-2007, 7:49 PM
The screw centre will hold like a champ in face grain, but not too well in end grain or punky wood. You are better to start a turning that will be oriented spindle fashion between centres and form a tenon on the end to grip in the chuck jaws rather than trying to use the screw centre in the end grain.

Good Luck!
Bob

Allen Neighbors
12-17-2007, 8:18 PM
I used mine three times. Lost the bowl three times. Gave it away. Any suggestions from me would be negative. However, I know some turners that use them all the time, and swear by them. I guess you have to know what you're doing, and evidently I didn't. :)

Walt Nollan
12-17-2007, 8:31 PM
I'm with Bob on this. However, depending on the size and wieght, I've had good luck with the Oneway worm screw. I don't do big heavy green chunks. All kiln dried segmented stuff.

Walt

Steve Schlumpf
12-17-2007, 9:19 PM
Bill - I have a Oneway Talon chuck and use it all the time!

The worm screw works great on bowl blanks (most any faceplate turnings). All I do is drill a 3/8" hole, mount the worm screw in the chuck and then thread the blank onto the screw. I shape the outside of the bowl first and then form a short tenon before removing the blank from the worm screw. Then remove the worm screw from the chuck, reverse the bowl blank and lock the chuck down on the tenon. Works great!

I have used the worm screw on both green and dry blanks with no problems. When roughing out a large sized green blank, I will use a faceplate just for the added security but still end up using the chuck when hollowing out the bowl!

Hope this helps with any questions you have - if not - let us know!