PDA

View Full Version : Source for blades to fit Felder saw

Bill Reed
12-17-2007, 3:30 PM
I just bought a new Felder K700 saw to be delivered next year. Now I'm looking for blades to fit it, including a dado. Does anyone have a suggestion about where I could get 315mm (~12") blades to fit a 30mm arbor? I would consider buying a couple of the Felder blades, especially since they are on sale right now, but a friend has one and it is very noisy. I'd like a nice, quiet combination blade that I could use for both rips and crosscuts. Also, the Felder dado blade is prohibitively expensive. Is there an alternative?

Thanks,
Bill

Jamie Buxton
12-17-2007, 3:35 PM
There is a very active Felders Owners forum on Yahoo Groups. I'd give you the link but SMC has a weird rule against it. You'd get lots of answers to this question there.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 3:35 PM
Forrest will bore them for you no problem. I'm running the Forrest blades on my MM S315 WS with excellent results.

I'm not sure about the dado, but ask them. Felder's dado setup is somewhat "unique".

Steven Wilson
12-17-2007, 3:37 PM
Well Felder would be the obvious choice. IIRC Forrest has the arbor attachment diagram for the Felder and they can stamp out one of theirs to fit the Felder arbor. I would also ask on the Felder Users group (on yahoo). As for dato's IIRC the Felder does not support a stacked dato head cutter, you'll need to purchase the Felder dato cutter (more like a shaper bit).

Jay Brewer
12-17-2007, 4:27 PM
Hi Bill. As Jim said, Forrest will rebore and sharpen any blade out there. The cost was $7 per hole, so $21 plus shipping. I own 2 Forrest blades that I had them rebore and they work perfectly. I also own a couple of the Felder blades . The best all around blade I have ever used is the Felder #03.1.040 60 tooth Silent Power blade, its on sale for $99. Its cuts are even better then the WWII that I have and Forrest will resharpen it.

If I can make a suggestion, stick with the 10" blades (250mm), this with greatly cut down on the noise, and are cheaper. I bought one 12" just for thick stuff. I own one of the cheaper Felder blades that is loud, but it was only $45. The higher quality (and cost) blades are a lot better.

The Forest dado can be bored to fit, but at $21 per blade x 6, that can get a little expensive. I dont own the Felder dado ( It is really more of a large insert shaper cutter) but from everyone I have talked to that owns one, says it worth every penny.

On last thing,ALL EUROPEAN MACHINERY OWNERS MANUALS STINK. If you havent already purchased the "Unofficial Survival Guide" it is the best money you could spend on the setup and adjustment of the machine. With that book I easily set the machine up myself. It can be purchased on the Felder Owners Group on Yahoo. Hope this has helped.

Bill Reed
12-17-2007, 4:48 PM
Jay,

Your advice was indeed very helpful. I think I will have some of my better old 10" blades rebored to fit the 30mm arbor. I think, however, you are making a mistake about the number of holes. I don't think the K700 saw has the two pins on the arbor, so I will only need to have the central hole rebored. This should cut the cost substantially.

Thanks,
Bill

Jay Brewer
12-17-2007, 6:09 PM
Jay,

Your advice was indeed very helpful. I think I will have some of my better old 10" blades rebored to fit the 30mm arbor. I think, however, you are making a mistake about the number of holes. I don't think the K700 saw has the two pins on the arbor, so I will only need to have the central hole rebored. This should cut the cost substantially.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill, glad I could help. I have a K700 and it has three holes. I know they redesigned the saw this year but wasnt aware they got rid of the 2 pin holes. I was under the impression that the extra two holes was for the electric braking.You might want to double check that with your salesman.

Tom Court
12-17-2007, 9:34 PM
Bill,

Another source of blades for your Felder is Guhdo.

Regarding the 2 pin holes, my model year 2006 KF700 requires blades with the 3 holes (30mm plus the 2 pin holes). Like Jay mentioned, I believe the pin holes are necessary for the electronic brake. You'll be amazed at how fast the blade spins down.

Good luck with your new machine,
Tom.

Steve Rowe
12-17-2007, 10:00 PM
And another source is Tenyru. The Forrest is a nice blade but the by the time you have it bored to fit, it becomes one of the most expensive options. It would be nice if Freud offered their blades with the European bores to give us more options.

There is a considerable noise difference between 10" and 12" blades. If you have the variable speed option, you can correct for this.

I would be surprised if Felder no longer had the two pins. The Felder rep explained that they were necessary for braking.

Justin Bukoski
12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Euro combos are noisier in general because they are designed to run on 50hz power. When they run on 60hz in the USA they spin faster making them noisier.

Chris Zenda
12-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Does anyone have any experience with an Amana Ditec Blade? I'm thinking of ordering one for my combo.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Euro combos are noisier in general because they are designed to run on 50hz power. When they run on 60hz in the USA they spin faster making them noisier.

All of my machines have 60hz rated motors...while made in Europe, they are imported specifically for the North American market where 60hz power is standard.

Philip Glover
12-18-2007, 6:05 AM
Bill,

You can order blades for Felder from Guhdo here http://www.guhdo.com/index.php

Regards,
Phil

Scott Whiting
12-18-2007, 9:07 AM
While the 315mm is a bit of an odd size to Felder there are several 300mm and some 250mm blades out there with the 30mm bore and two pinholes in them as stock items. And has been mentioned you can have almost any 12 (305mm) or 10" (254mm) rebored by the manufacturer when you order it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-18-2007, 9:35 AM
Felder Silent Power blades are great blade and they are quieter than my ghudo blades.

The Ghudo has a better (finer) grind o than the Felder blades out of the box but the first sharpening shoes the carbide in Felder blades to be superb. They just have a poor quality grinding job done.

You can get all you older blades and dados re bored to the Felder pattern by Forrest. It's cheap.