PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on sander on CL

James Hart
12-17-2007, 2:28 PM
This Delta Sander is currently on Craigs List in Phoenix.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/512025426.html

Anybody familiar with this model have any insight into the 'adjuster problem' the lister refers to. I'd hate to think I'm getting a deal on a fixer upper and wind up with somebody else's junk.

Thanks,

Jim

Bruce Page
12-17-2007, 2:34 PM
I had one, it’s a decent sander if you are patient – it is not a planer.
It’s hard to guess what “adjustment” he’s talking about, it could be several things. Query him about it.

Matt Meiser
12-17-2007, 3:15 PM
He's probably refering to adjusting the table to be level and to raise and lower smoothly. Its a bear to adjust. If anything is broken, its probably the belt, and I doubt that. It is probably just bound up and the belt is skipping teeth on the gears. The manual explains how to adjust it. It took me many tries to get mine adjusted.

Like Bruce said, its not a planer. If you are taking very light passes it will work well. I personally didn't find it enough of a timesaver to be worth the investment in the end but a lot of people like them. I sold mine for a little more than that.

keith ouellette
12-17-2007, 3:26 PM
I would think he is speaking of adjusting the drum level with the table ( if it is anything like the performax) and just doesn't know how to do it. I bought a used 16/32 and the guy who had it before me had it all out of wack and i think that is why he was selling it. Ask the guy if he is talking about the drum being level with the table. Tell him you can't pay 400 and offer 350.

Rick Levine
12-17-2007, 3:38 PM
I have the newer version of the sander and Delta made a modification to the design that includes a metal plate under the feed tray and above the levelers that help keep it aligned side to side. This seems like a bit too much to pay for one that is not in the best shape. You might mention this to the guy and also contact Delta to see if it could be fitted with the new mod. Then try to get a better price and if possible get the new parts.

Matt Meiser
12-17-2007, 3:41 PM
No, its worse. Adjusting the drum would probably be easier. The table on these moves up and down. You need to get all four jack screws perfectly in alignment and perfectly tightened or the belt will jump the gears on one or more of them and you'll have to start all over. Very frustrating, but once its done, its done according to the dealer where I got mine. He was going to pick it up and have one of his service guys do it for me, but I gave it one more try and got it.