PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw, is the jet any good?

jason lambert
12-17-2007, 2:19 PM
Need to get a bandsaw looking at the Jet JWBS-14DX. I am a hobbyest won't get tons of use will this do or is there something better?

Andrew Nemeth
12-17-2007, 2:50 PM
Jason, I'm sure you will get a lot of replies about better saws because there are a lot of good ones out there. That being said, I have essentially the saw saw you are looking at and I am happy with it for the price. I prefer really clean lines on most of the furniture I build so I am not cutting that many aggressive curves with it. Also, I have tried to resaw 4" material on it with varying success. It cuts clean but not as precise as I would like, 3/16" variance over 4" wide board. I have a carter guide system installed but I may need to do a tune up as I have not really done much with it other than add the carter system since unpacking it 4 years ago.

-Andrew

Kyle Kraft
12-17-2007, 3:23 PM
Got the same saw, put a Fenner Power Twist belt on it and am happy with it for what I do.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 3:47 PM
Before I bought the larger machine I have in my shop, I worked on a 14" Jet and was quite satisfied with it. (I also ran the link belt on mine for reduced vibration)

Rick Thom
12-17-2007, 4:19 PM
I would definitely have the Steel City 14" Deluxe for about the same money. http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/homepage/Announcements_a.pdf
More power, better fit and finish, more features included. A quick side-by-side comparison tells a lot. That is not to suggest the Jet is bad, just not as value-rich as the Steel City product.

jason lambert
12-17-2007, 4:46 PM
Thanks will also look into the steel city. Price is not a issue but size is. So if there is something much better for a little more let me know. I performance since I do not have room for a saw stop and I hate my contractor table saw I think I may use this alot.

Thanks for the input.

Curt Harms
12-19-2007, 7:33 PM
... Also, I have tried to resaw 4" material on it with varying success. It cuts clean but not as precise as I would like, 3/16" variance over 4" wide board. I have a carter guide system installed but I may need to do a tune up as I have not really done much with it other than add the carter system since unpacking it 4 years ago.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew

What blade are You running? That much variance is a lot. I found that sort of cut with borg-quality blades, also found it with dull or damaged blades. I bought a Timberwolf and oh boy, what a difference. Timberwolf is by means the only quality blade out there and may not be the best but it seems to produce much better results than I got from generic blades. You might try T'wolf or Lenox or WoodSlicer or one of those. I recall a demo when I was first starting this hobby. The demonstrator was making a point about properly set up saws. He moved the side guides as far away from the blade as they would go, raised the top guides as far as they would go and proceeded to saw. It worked fine. His point is that a properly tuned saw, not guides should be the main thing keeping a bandsaw blade tracking properly.(How's that for controversial:)).

HTH

Curt

Dennis Montgomery
12-19-2007, 7:58 PM
I had the Jet for a couple of years and had no complaints, but I moved to the Steel City a few months ago and there is a huge difference between the two. The Steel City has all the upgraded features such as quick release tension lever, roller guides, and mobile base standard. It was dead on perfect out of the box. I was looking very hard at the Powermatic, but the Steel City had all the same features for $200 less. I also bought the Kreg fence which is pretty slick.

Roger Newby
12-19-2007, 8:04 PM
Just bought the Griz deluxe and really like it.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2007, 8:26 PM
I bought a Timberwolf and oh boy, what a difference. Timberwolf is by means the only quality blade out there and may not be the best but it seems to produce much better results than I got from generic blades.
HTH

Curt

I agree on the Timberwolf blades. The best blades I've used to date!!!!!