PDA

View Full Version : question for Minimax fs30 owners

chris weir
12-17-2007, 1:37 PM
I just registered for this site yesterday after doing some initial research on jointers and planers. There is an impressive amount of information here!

I am still on the 'fence' about purchasing a separate jointer and planer vs a combo machine. I know there are a few of you out there-so here are my questions for the Minimax FS30 owners:

The fence appears to be attached to the right side end of the jointer bed. Being that the fence is only supported on the end, (as opposed to the center like the FS35) does the fence flex at all during jointing?

I read the FWW review, which implies the fence is removed for planing. Is this an issue as far as accuracy/squareness? Also- being that the fence is aluminum as opposed to cast iron?

It sure would be nice to have the small footprint of a machine like this, but I don't want to sacrifice the ability to accurately mill lumber. I have also looked at 12" jointers (grizzly) and a 15HH Powermatic planer- they take up a lot of valuable space (especially the jointer).

Thanks- Chris

Joe Mioux
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
The fence will not flex if you use the attached rod that keeps the fence in place.

Also, Sam Blasco of MM recommened to me that you use one of those magnet holders (the one's used for holdign dial indicators,etc) behind the fence. That is a good idea.

I find that as the fence is very solid.

Taking the fence off for planing doesn't effect the squareness of the fence while jointing. The bracket the holds the fence onto the machine is pretty heavy cast iron. It aint goin anywhere.

joe

Jack Camillo
12-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Just got my FS-30 delivered last night! And I only ordered it Tuesday of last week. Actually, I could have had it delivered Friday as it was in the local terminal 0400 Friday morning, but I had to work the job that supports my woodworking hobby.