PDA

View Full Version : Talk Me Down!

Lewis Moon
12-17-2007, 1:11 PM
Here’s the dilemma: In the past I’ve pooh poohed the “new fangled” Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen planes as being expensive and unneeded. Then, in a fit of insanity I ordered an LVLAS to replace my beautiful old Sweetheart #4 (with decal!) that I couldn’t bear to use, lest I smudge it.
OOPS. Bad move.
Long story short: I now own 4 Lee Valley planes and I just love them. I think the words “smooth and competent” were invented just for these units. They have been nothing less than a revelation. I’m now thinking there are several “shelf queens” that I could cash and get more useable LV planes. I’m thinking of cashing the #112 with the LN blade (which I could never tame), my #65 and #4 ˝ and my MF #16C and #57 and just going ahead and buying an extra high angle blade for the LAS and an LV Low Angle Block with an extra high angle blade and the chamfer attachment. Anything left over would go for the LV #289 due out this spring.

Is this just wrong? Somebody talk me down…..:eek:

Clint Jones
12-17-2007, 1:17 PM
I think you should trade in the LV's & oldies and buy some good ole wooden planes :D -Clint

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 1:38 PM
IMHO, fine tools are fine tools and credit needs to be given to organizations like LN and LV for the work they have done to both maintain tradition and improve upon it with their own innovations. And for those of us who have less than zero time to properly refurbuish vintage gear, it presents the opportunity to use wonderful hand tools that make learning to use them so much easier. I actually use some hand tools now. Without LN and LV, I might still be a totally tailed individual...:eek: :D

Wilbur Pan
12-17-2007, 1:57 PM
Is this just wrong? Somebody talk me down…..:eek:

Umm, why would you want to be talked down? ;)

Larry Rose
12-17-2007, 2:36 PM
I didn't believe the LNs and LVs were worth the extra dough until I was in Woodcraft a few years ago and expressed my feelings to a clerk. He took a LN41/2 off the shelf and let me take a few curls off a piece of maple in the back of the store. I would not let him put it back on the shelf and started down the slippery slope with it. 35 or so planes, spokeshaves and saws later of both LNs and LVs I still see no end. They are wonderful to look at but more importantly to use. At least my wife and children know what to give me for my birthday, our anniversary and Christmas.

Dave Anderson NH
12-17-2007, 3:18 PM
Lewis, I'm sorry to say that you've come to the wrong place if you're looking for someone to suggest that you shouldn't buy new tools. Our only purpose here is to grease the slippery slope and provide you with a good strong push.

Seriously though, I'd suggest hanging onto some of the planes. I think you'll find over time that as your skills improve you'll find the older tools become easier to use and they will perform quite nicely. There is a learning curve and with the thinner irons on the older tools you will need to play more with the frog and other adjustments to make them perform at their peak.

Lewis Moon
12-17-2007, 3:43 PM
Lewis, I'm sorry to say that you've come to the wrong place if you're looking for someone to suggest that you shouldn't buy new tools. Our only purpose here is to grease the slippery slope and provide you with a good strong push.

Seriously though, I'd suggest hanging onto some of the planes. I think you'll find over time that as your skills improve you'll find the older tools become easier to use and they will perform quite nicely. There is a learning curve and with the thinner irons on the older tools you will need to play more with the frog and other adjustments to make them perform at their peak.
For the most part I have all of the planes set up nicely and they work well, (except the #112) I just like the varsatility, build quality, durability and adjustability of the LV planes. They did their homework and came up with great, real world improvements.
I'll still have my #3, #5 1/2 #6, #7, #60 1/2 and #71 1/2 so the old will be well represented along side of the new....

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-17-2007, 6:26 PM
I think it's really a question of whether you can afford the luxury of having planes on a shelf.
If yes then take 'em up stairs and put 'em in a display cabinet.

If no then - - - - - - -