PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection filtration: aftermarket alternatives

alex grams
12-17-2007, 11:02 AM
The DC1100 and 1200 from jet both have options for canister filters, but most everyone seems to recommend to do an after market modification with a wynn filter.

Is this due to the price of the Wynn filter (though the #35a100sbol is about $130), or do people just not prefer the factory canisters?

I would honestly rather just go with the factory canister (though it is 2micron as opposed to 1 micron rating from the Wynn). At least that way i don't have to do any conversion of the filter/canister mounting.

Thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Barnes
12-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Alex,

I've had a Jet DC1200 with the stock canister filter for about 3 years now. No major complaints from me, especially considering I was moving up from a shop-vac based system. I set up an overarm guard with built in collection and have very little dust that escapes onto the table. I also run a Jet AFS1000B air filtration system as well. (I know, not the top rated, but does a good job for me.) Between the two of them, the amount of dust in my attached garage shop has been reduced significantly and the amount that leaks into the house is basically zero now.

Regarding the difference between 1 and 2 microns, it isn't significant for me. I know there are those out there that claim different, and maybe it is for them. All I know is that my working environment is sooo much cleaner now than it used to be. My official measure of dust, the sneeze factor, is also basically down to zero as well compared to before.

Bottom Line: The upgrade in my dust collection system is some of the best woodworking money that I have spent in a long time.

Charlie