PDA

View Full Version : #1 Deciding what I should get for X-mas - LV Smooth Planes

Tim Dorcas
12-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I am trying to figure what I should ask my wife to get me for Christmas. I am thinking about getting a Lee Valley Smooth Plane. I should add that I already have a LV Low Angle Jack Plane.

Lee Valley has a multitude of Smooth Planes.

#4 1/2
Bevel Up
Low Angle

If you could only get one, which do you think would be the most useful? I am also thinking about getting a LV Jointer Plane.

Frank Martin
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
The BUS (the heavy one) is a great smoother. Also, it shares the same blade with the LV Low Angle Jack that you have and the bevel up jointer you may get in the future. Personally, I don't care for the bevel down planes, because the bevel up design is so much simpler and easier to adjust with a much wider range of angles.

I am trying to figure what I should ask my wife to get me for Christmas. I am thinking about getting a Lee Valley Smooth Plane. I should add that I already have a LV Low Angle Jack Plane.

Lee Valley has a multitude of Smooth Planes.

#4 1/2
Bevel Up
Low Angle

If you could only get one, which do you think would be the most useful? I am also thinking about getting a LV Jointer Plane.

Lewis Moon
12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
The BUS. Grab a 38 and 50 degree blade to go with it. I now wish I had gone this route rather than starting out with the LAS and then getting the LAJ.

Danny Thompson
12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I asked for the Bevel Up.

Re: Lewis's suggestion about the 38 and 50 blades. Another alternative is one Derek Cohen has suggested . . . i.e., it may be easier to maintain 38 degree or 50 degree secondary bevels on the normal bevel-up plane blade than the 38 and 50 degree primary bevel blades. Something to ponder.

Lewis Moon
12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I asked for the Bevel Up.

Re: Lewis's suggestion about the 38 and 50 blades. Another alternative is one Derek Cohen has suggested . . . i.e., it may be easier to maintain 38 degree or 50 degree secondary bevels on the normal bevel-up plane blade than the 38 and 50 degree primary bevel blades. Something to ponder.
I hadn't thought of that. Great tip, especially with the ginormously thick blades on the BUS and LAJ.

Jim W. White
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Another vote for the BUS! It performs so well I find myself reaching for it all the time.

Gary Herrmann
12-17-2007, 1:45 PM
Yes, another BUS driver here.