PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2007, 9:47 AM
Good Morning
17 Dec 2007

Woke up to a brisk temp outside and a woodstove that was needing wood this morning.

This week is the last full shopping week you have before Christmas day!!! I hope all of you are about as ready as you can be by this time of the year.

Most of my time this weekend was just helping a couple of local woodworkers get some things done while learning more about woodworking. But I did get one cutting board done that is already sold and spent most of my time helping them.

Today it's off to take my oldest son for oral surgery and just the emotional stress about this has been pretty hard on him....so today, mom and dad both are going in support of him.

I hope each of you are healthy and prosperous. Peace and blessing to each of you over this 2007 holiday season.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Keith Beck
12-17-2007, 9:55 AM
Made pretty good progress on a couple of Christmas presents this weekend. I'm making my aunt a mantle clock from black walnut and my uncle, who's a postman, a bank with an old post office box door on it.

The clock is almost done, minus the finishing and the bank parts are mostly cut. Gotta get moving on 'em, Christmas is only about a week away!

Keith

GERALD HARGROVE
12-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Done with Christmas shopping and finally got back in the shop, what a feeling of relaxation. A little cold, but worth every minute. Should have the chairs completed shortly after Christmas. I hope all goes well with you sons surgery.

Thomas Knighton
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
My house is mostly insulated now. The only reason it's not completely insulated is that I ran out of insulation and had a family emergency. In a small and close family like mine, that certainly takes precedence over everything else.

I'm sure folks here know how that goes.

Tom

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Did a little turning. Managed to totally disinegrate a couple of Christmas ornaments......GRRRRR!

JayStPeter
12-17-2007, 10:51 AM
The garden bench project is coming together. A little final sanding and drill some holes for screws and it will be ready for finish. Hopefully that will all get done tonight and first coat of finish tomorrow. I'm supposed to deliver on the 22nd, but might have to hold off until Christmas day to get the number of coats of marine varnish I desire. At least it appears I'll get a Christmas present project delivered before March this time.

Al Willits
12-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Worked Sat and after that I headed for the garage, almost made it but somehow ended up in the car with the wife, we went shopping so she had to take this vehicle instead of her favorite broom...thank goodness as it was a bit nippy out.

By the time we picked up a few things, there was just enough time to stop at a local restaurant and grab a bite, then home and vegged out on the couch for a bit.

Sunday did the breakfast thing at home and headed for the garage, made it to her car again and off we went, this time grocery shopping for a few things...did manage to get her to swing buy Rockler and look at drum sanders, while were looking at them no less than four other woodworkers stopped and gave their impressions, even the guy with the Timesaver...thanks but a 50" Timesaver ain't gonna happen...did finally convince Beasty that I HAVE to have one....:D
Finally made it home and actually managed to get in the garage for a bit, did some re sawing and planing/joining so I have enough wood to do the TV stand.

Al....who's had enough shopping for this year...and next.

George Bregar
12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, other than shoveling sbow...another 12" over the weekend...helped my buddy set up the Unisaw I sold him, and finished making the adjustment and pivot pins, and washers for my Morris Chair. Almost done! :D

Matt Meiser
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Did a little Christmas shopping and went shopping for my birthday gift (got a "shopping spree" at Lowes or Home Depot from LOML and LOMLjr.) Spent some time in the shop trying out the Gramercy dovetail saw I bought myself last week and managed to mangle two boards together. I really need to learn to follow a line when sawing. Saturday night and most of Sunday it snowed and snowed plus was very windy. According to the NWS, we got about 10" but I can't really tell as I have bare spots and 2' drifts. Most of the shools in our county canceled today by 10PM last night which is very unusal. They say it is our biggest snow in 8 years.

alex grams
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Saturday spent at the office (bleh).

Got up Sunday morning around 7 and prepped the back splash in my kitchen to tile it (took out some Sheetrock that was busted up and/or wet, and replaced it with backer board so it will be more resistant to water). Then started cutting and tiling around 10am, finished around 6, and had to clean all of the tools up. (the job went smoothly, but putting the 3" travertine tile around window sill and matching up the seams/joints was a real PITA).

Cleaned up my tile tools, then planed down some more cutting board glues ups (now to cut them and side glue them). Then I sanded down two other larger cutting boards I made and resealed them. (Something to learn, when you make a cutting board and seal it with mineral oil, after about a day it will swell a little from the oil at the joints, so I had to re-sand them to get them completely smooth again on top).

Now, to grout all of the tile come Tuesday/Wednesday.

Tyler Howell
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Creekers,

Moved a lot of stuff into the new (over a year now) shop. Unpacked the DJ20 by myself, now I have to figure which method I'll use to move it into place.
Plowed snow for first time ever with the new tractor. Lost its novalty after an hour of 12* temps but I'm determined to become more proficient at it.

Was fun unpacking some of the toyls I haven't seen for many months
Have a safe week

Glenn Clabo
12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Finally got back to work on the bathroom vanity. Got the draw boxes installed and a draw front mocked up for final approval from the customer...aka DrLOML.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 11:51 AM
OY...the only woodworking related thing I did was take some measurments in the addition for the wet bar and for the cabinets going above my credenza. I had the YMCA run on Saturday for karate and swimming and we also put up our tree and had "family movie" night. Sunday, I wasn't feeling too animated and never made it in the shop before I had to deal with some business stuff for the week. But next weekend and the following WEEK and weekend, I'll get lots of shop time, hopefully... :)

Jim O'Dell
12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Not much time in the shop for me this weekend. Hair cut and looking at a couple SCMS's on Saturday, plus helping out around the house. Spent some time on line researching the SCMS purchase. I did get the doors and drawer fronts cut for the router table Sat. But the hinges I had picked up from HD years ago, I was not happy with them. Plus it was just too cold in the shop. (no heat source except myself:D)
Sunday morning in the house wrapping gifts, mid-day out to buy more, got hinges at HD, then back in time to get really sick watching the Cowboys. Out to the shop for about an hour after the game and got the 2 doors mounted on the router table cabinet, and a jig set up to align and mount the 3 drawer fronts. Now I need some screws that won't go all the way through the fronts! Still fogot to take some stained samples of the oak to see what I need for the birch to stain close to the same color. Maybe one day after work this week. Have a good one everyone! Jim.

Ted Jay
12-17-2007, 1:08 PM
Seems the only people who did anything were George and Glenn, they're the only ones who backed up their story with pictures, so far.
What did I do?..... do you see any pictures?....Well then, there's your answer!!:D:D
Merry Christmas all!!
Ted

George Bregar
12-17-2007, 1:15 PM
Seems the only people who did anything were George and Glenn, they're the only ones who backed up their story with pictures, so far.
What did I do?..... do you see any pictures?....Well then, there's your answer!!:D:D
Merry Christmas all!!
Ted Well, to stay in compliance, I said I shoveled snow. Although I don't have pictures of me actually shoveling snow, I do have the after shots. There is a very fine line between "Winter Wonderland" and "Enough *&^%^%$ snow already!" ;)

Matt Meiser
12-17-2007, 1:48 PM
Plowed snow for first time ever with the new tractor. Lost its novalty after an hour of 12* temps but I'm determined to become more proficient at it.

Don't worry--I'm in my 5th season and getting pretty good at it. You get a lot more snow so you'll get a lot more practice. :D

As for the cold, get a good pair of mittens. When your fingers aren't froze you are a lot more comfortable. Mittens keep your hands warmer and you should be able to operate everything on the tractor without trouble.

Thomas Williams
12-17-2007, 1:48 PM
In addition to cleaning up the neighbor's left over leaves from the street, and making room in my garage for the car, I finished my clamp cart. Based on the NYW version it is currently holding 99 clamps. It will be a hard sell to convince the LOML I need more clamps.

David Duke
12-17-2007, 2:03 PM
Saturday we went out of town for the LOML extended family Christmas party. Sunday I went and visited my mom that morning and sat on my rear end l the rest of the day......don't think anyone wants a picture of that :eek::eek::eek::D !!!!!!

Dan Barr
12-17-2007, 2:05 PM
just reviewing plans for a clients project.

no actual working of wood though. lol

v/r

dan

Chuck Jones
12-17-2007, 2:38 PM
Playing Santa's helper. Finished this doll crib for daughter of some friends. It was my first doll crib... designed on the go. I didn't like the 12/24/07 deadline, but otherwise it was a fun project. It's about 28" wide x 18" deep x 26" high.

mark page
12-17-2007, 4:32 PM
Well my weekend started today and got off to a bad start. Wounded in the line of duty and with no power tools. After a four day bout with the flu, LOML was harping on getting the new plasma tv and surround sound permanently hard wired, getting the old entertainment center moved out of the house, re-arranging the living room, etc, etc. She came home from morning shopping as she is off today too, and somehow expected all this to have been done by me already. Stating I was waiting on her for her expertise in room decorating (caught in a lie, was actually procrastinating). A little bit of sarcasm from her part built up the tempo some, so I figure this remodel won't take too long. I take off most all the screwed on parts of the previous entertainment system that I could. (Now this is a big unit I made for a previous home I had, and I made it without thinking modular, my mistake). I have moved this unit four times and absolutely hate it. About 450-500 lbs conservatively on weight. The main carcass is assembled with dowels and glued together. I stripped the unit to the main carcass and was getting ready to "pop the top". A bench mall to help with the process and a pry bar. I can attest to the strength of dowels and glue, along with the flu, they hold pretty good. About four upswings with the mall along with pushing upwards with the left hand broke one side loose. What I didn't know would happen is my left forefinger would slide over one of the uprights. The top smashed down on my finger with the weight of the top along with the force of still being glued and dowelled on the opposite side. I finally free myself with the prybar, which was close at hand, and spend five minutes on the floor creating a whole new language. Will most likely lose a fingernail on this one. Don't think I smashed any bones in the tip of my finger. LOML in the mean times keeps looking like she's busy in the kitchen and doesn't notice. (Yep, that's a bunch of crapola, I think the neighbors heard the ruckus). I grab a bowl from the kitchen and go outside and fill it with snow and soak my finger. Adrenaline finally took over and I opened up the main door, propped the storm door open, and yanked the danged thing out onto the front sidewalk. Well after doing that, with the top loose, it fell like a row of dominos. Next thing I know is LOML is sitting butt deep in a snow drift LHAO. I ask her what she thinks is funny, and her reply is: Well I wanted to laugh when you smashed your finger, but I didn't, I wanted to laugh harder when you got snow instead of ice to soak your finger, but I didn't, but I couldn't stand it any longer when you in your pi$$ed off mood yanked the center outside and it folded like a cheap card table before you could beat the damned thing to death with that sledgehammer. Guess she had a valid point there. She's the pysch major in the family and I guess she knows me better than I do....I just hope I don't lose my fingernail and no smooshed bone. I will know more tomorrow morning. Will be an interesting evening watching Monday night football, some liquid painkiller, and a bowl of snow,:confused:

Dennis Peacock
12-17-2007, 5:34 PM
Well, to stay in compliance, I said I shoveled snow. Although I don't have pictures of me actually shoveling snow, I do have the after shots. There is a very fine line between "Winter Wonderland" and "Enough *&^%^%$ snow already!" ;)

What all that "white stuff" laying all over the place???? Send me some...sure looks pretty. :D

Glenn Clabo
12-17-2007, 5:49 PM
From DrLOML....
Consider this: Researchers in Michigan recently had 10 healthy men in their 20's and 30's run on a treadmill until they couldn't run anymore. During the exercise, the men's vital statistics including their heart rate was monitored.

A few days later, the same group of men were asked to shovel heavy, wet snow for about ten minutes. What the researchers discovered was that the men's heart rates were at least as high or higher than their heart rates on the treadmill.

IF you have a history of heart disease OR are over 50, have your kids do the shoveling, buy a snow thrower, or pay someone else to do it. OR...make sure your insurance is up to date.

Gary Keedwell
12-17-2007, 5:54 PM
IF you have a history of heart disease OR are over 50, have your kids do the shoveling, buy a snow thrower, or pay someone else to do it. OR...make sure your insurance is up to date.
Wow ...now you tell me. I shoveled for over 2 hours yesterday and I am 58 years young.:rolleyes::)
Gary

Jim Dunn
12-17-2007, 7:48 PM
Wow ...now you tell me. I shoveled for over 2 hours yesterday and I am 58 years young.:rolleyes::)
Gary

Just thinking about it made my blood pressure go up:p

Joe Mioux
12-17-2007, 10:22 PM
i used to hear alot about men over 40 NOT shoveling snow.

this is the first time I have heard talk about the heart attack/snow issue in probably 30 years.

Still valid, just interesting that it is brought up again.

Since I paid attention to all that good advice about NOT shoveling snow, I got the ATV out for the kids and i strapped on some cross country skis.

I didn't ski very long, but it was still fun

As far as shoveling goes.... I just run or walk over the snow. Its a whole lot easier that way.

woodworking???? I did do a minor glue up.

joe

Ken Lutes
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Went to the shop Saturday morning to work on a chest and wound up hanging a dart board up and making a shelf to store the darts. Never did get to the chest messed around playig darts all day. Man this may be a mistake to hang a dart board in the shop.