PDA

View Full Version : Ice Removal Help

Bob Moyer
12-17-2007, 8:08 AM
I have about 1 1/2" of ice on my sidewalk which is a colored patterned concrete; we were told not to use salt. What can I use that will remove the ice without damaging the patterned concrete.

Mike Cutler
12-17-2007, 9:13 AM
I have about 1 1/2" of ice on my sidewalk which is a colored patterned concrete; we were told not to use salt. What can I use that will remove the ice without damaging the patterned concrete.

A propane torch/wand would work, but that's a lot of ice. It may refreeze as fast as you melt it.

Potassium Chloride is an alternative to rock salt. I don't know if would still give you problems though.

Curt Fuller
12-17-2007, 9:31 AM
Here's the deal Bob. When concrete (colored, stamped, or plain) gets wet it absorbs a little mositure. Good air entrained concrete has microscopic voids that allow that moisture somewhere to go as the water freezes and creates hydraulic pressure. But water saturated concrete, when those voids are all full of water, will spall (the surface flake off) because of the expansion of ice with nowhere for the water to go. Salt or De-Icers create a situation of repeated freeze/ thaw cycles that allow more water to be absorbed by the concrete each time it thaws and more freeze cycles when it gets cold. That's why concrete flakes when you use them. The best solution to prevent that is to apply a good coat of concrete sealer every fall while the temps are still warm enough to allow the sealer to dry but before it gets cold enoough for snow and ice to accumulate. And keep the snow cleared before it can form ice. Stamped concrete adds a little more problem because the water gets trapped in all the texture of the pattern and won't drain off as well as a smooth surface. And because you don't want to scrape it too hard with a snow shovel.

Bob Moyer
12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Here's the deal Bob. When concrete (colored, stamped, or plain) gets wet it absorbs a little mositure. Good air entrained concrete has microscopic voids that allow that moisture somewhere to go as the water freezes and creates hydraulic pressure. But water saturated concrete, when those voids are all full of water, will spall (the surface flake off) because of the expansion of ice with nowhere for the water to go. Salt or De-Icers create a situation of repeated freeze/ thaw cycles that allow more water to be absorbed by the concrete each time it thaws and more freeze cycles when it gets cold. That's why concrete flakes when you use them. The best solution to prevent that is to apply a good coat of concrete sealer every fall while the temps are still warm enough to allow the sealer to dry but before it gets cold enoough for snow and ice to accumulate. And keep the snow cleared before it can form ice. Stamped concrete adds a little more problem because the water gets trapped in all the texture of the pattern and won't drain off as well as a smooth surface. And because you don't want to scrape it too hard with a snow shovel.

I appreciate your comments; the problem is that there was no snow to remove; we had 1.5 -4" of sleet between Saturday Night and 12:00 noon yesterday.

David G Baker
12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Bob,
What I would do is get some sand and thinly coat the ice and wait for Mother Nature to melt the ice. It works fairly well for me in areas where I can't clear the ice off but need to walk on it.

Steven Wilson
12-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Bob, are you expecting fairly warm temperatures (say above 25) and some sunshine this week? If you are then you can let nature do much of the work. Just help it out some by chopping at the ice. I use a Mutt for this (heavy steel head on a 6' pole) and it will chip and crack the ice. Later, the sunshine will open these cracks up and you will get chunch of ice that you can then shovel.

If it's going to be cloudy and cold then throw some sand on top for traction and don't worry about the ice. Of course if it must come off then you'll need a torch or use some salt (not much salt, just enough to get it to crack) and then clean up after the salt (a good stiff brush).

Bubba Davis
12-17-2007, 1:03 PM
Try and find some calcium chloride should not hurt your concrete but can turn kind of jelly like if you put to much on.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-17-2007, 2:43 PM
Chlorides are salts. There is no "safe" deicer to use on concrete. Curts explanation is pretty close, but not totally right on.

When the salt melts the ice, you get salt water. That water will enter the concrete - air entrained or not. It gets there through absorbtion. When the water evaporates, it leaves the salts behind. These salts then pull more water into the concrete the next time there is water on it. This increase in the water content, and expansion when freezing is what gets it. Same concept behind using brines in cooking, or not drinking saltwater. Air entrainment (tiny bubbles) allows the concrete to handle the expansion of the water better.

It should not drastically hurt the concrete to use some salt. The key here is some. Use it sparingly, sweep up any extra, and wash down the area when the temps allow.

Curt Fuller
12-17-2007, 5:59 PM
I appreciate your comments; the problem is that there was no snow to remove; we had 1.5 -4" of sleet between Saturday Night and 12:00 noon yesterday.

Yup, that would be a problem. If the concrete was sealed it shouldn't have any problems other than being slick to walk or drive on. I'd just use something to give a little traction, sand or kitty litter, and let it melt on it's own.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-17-2007, 6:11 PM
Ash, sand, bark, mulch will all suck in the sun's heat and soften and consume the ice.

I'd salt it just the same.

It's be interesting as a test of the law.
The town puts down the concrete and then tells you what you may or not use in the course of obeying it's orders to clear it.

I think the result is:The town loses.

Bubba Davis
12-17-2007, 7:19 PM
Calcium chloride is used as an accelerator in concrete and won't make it spall or pit.

A technical grade of the dehydrate is used for antifreeze and refrigerating solns., in fire extinguishers, etc. (a 40% soln. freezes at –41°C.); to preserve wood, stone; manuf. ice, glues, cements; fireproofing fabrics; automobile antifreeze mixtures; to melt ice and snow; as coagulant in rubber manuf.; as size in admixture with starch paste; to increase cementing power of lime for mortars and wall plasters; laying dust on roads; sizing and finishing cotton fabrics.

Greg Cuetara
12-19-2007, 10:37 AM
To add to this topic I would have to say not to use any calcium chloride or salt products on concrete. When I specify concrete on a job I do not allow any calcium chloride to be added.

There are products out there which do not include calcium chloride or salt which can melt snow and are safe for concrete. I believe that they make a product for pets which does not include salt but will melt the snow. Salt hurts dogs feet so I use this snow melt outside.

Good Luck.