PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Sliding Table Reviews?

Paul Joynes
12-17-2007, 1:45 AM
I am looking at the Laguna Sliding Table as an addition to my General 650. http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=48
https://www.lagunatools.com/Images/slidingtable.jpg
I would be interested in hearing from other users who may have experience with this table and are able to talk about how it performs. I am particularly interested to know about how it works with saws other than Laguna and specifically left tilt arbor saws. How difficult is it to install on the saw? Does the table stay in alignment? Is the support adequate?

I have a relatively small shop (16 x 20) and don't have the required room for a longer slider so the 50" capacity is OK by me.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-17-2007, 6:59 AM
It's made to go on the Laguna TSS - not a General. The Laguna saw is built with a cast iron saw top part that you lift off and then install that little slider.

I was looking at their TSS. I went with Hammer and trust me, the ability to rip long sheet stock makes all the difference in the world.

You could get it to go on your General if you were willing to chop your Cabinet and cast iron top down and machine up several parts from steel and weld (or bolt) them in place to mount the Laguna thing and then you'd probably have shimming issues to get it level and coplanar.

Paul Joynes
12-17-2007, 7:32 AM
Cliff

You are correct that the table can be installed on a Laguna TS to convert it to a TSS. I have attached a photo of this sliding table installed on a Powermatic saw to show a typical installation on a non Laguna saw. As you see from the photo, the table is attached in place of the left wing of the saw.

Paul

Lee Hingle
12-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Paul,
I have the Laguna TSS slider on my Powermatic 66.

As for the quality/fit/finish: excellent

Customer service: not so hot

Installation manual: absolute JOKE!

It's easy for people to tell you to buy a real slider because it's not their cash. If you have a good quality saw (like you do) and want to upgrade it, then the Laguna is the best thing out there.

I'm going to PM you my home email address, I don't get over here that often. If you have any specific questions or want the whole enchilada from start to finish, I'll be happy to help. I would post it here but it is likely you and I are the only ones on the forum interested in the sliding attachment.

Lee

Gary Curtis
12-17-2007, 12:07 PM
While I was shopping for a saw I visited the Laguna showroom in Orange County Calif. The TSS is a pretty hefty piece of machinery. There aren't a lot of users but they do have a forum.

Since the sliding attachment doesn't rely on an outrigger, there is a small chance that it might fit on your General 650. The motor protrudes to the left side of the cabinet, so it normally isn't suitable. I have a General 350 right tilt with their sliding table.

Two gentlemen in my WW club hav Inca saws with the Robland slider bolted on, As with the Laguna, there is no outrigger, so the retrofit is relatively easy. Lagunal Tools sells both the Laguna and Robland sliding tables. So you have some options. Incidentally, your left extension wing can be removed to accommodate an add-on.

Good luck.

Gary Curtis

Scott Rollins
12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I built my own after looking at several models. I have 50" cut capacity and it is rock solid. I have not changed the plywood leg yet (it was supposed to be temporary). I am lucky to have had access to used linear guides and 8020. (stealth gloat:cool:). I am going to cut holes in the MDF panel to match the Festool MFT and brace it from below with ALuminum Angle. My test cuts across 48 " plywood stock are within 0.1 deg on my digital Wixey. Across the corners it was within 1/32 (as fine a tape measure as I have).

After building it I believe it would be possible to build on entirely from 8020 extrusion for about $300-$400 using their linear bearings.

Gary Curtis
12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
Go to Lagunatools.com . On the left side of the home page is a link called Messages that will take you to their forum. At the top is a tab with reviews of their equipment.

Paul B. Cresti
12-17-2007, 1:45 PM
I have no knowledge of the 650 but I would most definately like to hear/read of your outcome. General International has a small slider that looks quite interesting

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50560a.html

While a big european slider is not in everyone's budget a sliding table attachement might very well be.

Have any of you add on slider owners come up with a way to use the sliding table for ripping?

Gary Gleave
11-23-2009, 9:28 PM
Hey Paul, did you get the Laguna?
How did it work out?

Gary

Mike Wilkins
11-24-2009, 4:56 PM
A lot of folks have fitted the Jessem slider unit onto their saws and love it. I believe it is priced around $500-600 range and is made with heavy grade aluminum. General also sells a sliding table machine, but not the Euro type with the sliding table next to the blade. I contemplated an add-on slider unit but opted for a Laguna sliding tablesaw instead. No regrets.

Paul B. Cresti
11-24-2009, 6:38 PM
Paul,
I have the Laguna TSS slider on my Powermatic 66.

As for the quality/fit/finish: excellent

Customer service: not so hot

Installation manual: absolute JOKE!

It's easy for people to tell you to buy a real slider because it's not their cash. If you have a good quality saw (like you do) and want to upgrade it, then the Laguna is the best thing out there.

I'm going to PM you my home email address, I don't get over here that often. If you have any specific questions or want the whole enchilada from start to finish, I'll be happy to help. I would post it here but it is likely you and I are the only ones on the forum interested in the sliding attachment.

Lee

I have had a true format slider for quite some time but it was for a business purchase so ... and yes the price is prohibitive to many. One of the benefits of true format slider is the sliding carriage is right next to the blade...in your case did you consider mounting a 1/4" thk MDF panel or the like (could be thicker but you will lose some cutting depth) to the carriage so it can but right up to the blade. Just a thought.

Jack Clark
11-24-2009, 11:06 PM
I...in your case did you consider mounting a 1/4" thk MDF panel or the like (could be thicker but you will lose some cutting depth) to the carriage so it can but right up to the blade. Just a thought.

That's cool! Or perhaps a nice flat sheet of 1/8" aluminum plate with strips of low friction UHMW (ultra-high molecular weight) tape to help it glide over the cast iron table surface?

Gary Gleave
11-25-2009, 1:31 AM
I have considered the JessEm, but a bit worried about the weight capability.

Harlan Coverdale
11-25-2009, 1:44 AM
I built my own after looking at several models. I have 50" cut capacity and it is rock solid. I have not changed the plywood leg yet (it was supposed to be temporary). I am lucky to have had access to used linear guides and 8020. (stealth gloat:cool:). I am going to cut holes in the MDF panel to match the Festool MFT and brace it from below with ALuminum Angle. My test cuts across 48 " plywood stock are within 0.1 deg on my digital Wixey. Across the corners it was within 1/32 (as fine a tape measure as I have).

After building it I believe it would be possible to build on entirely from 8020 extrusion for about $300-$400 using their linear bearings.

Nicely done, and great saw setup overall, too.