PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Stain damage under poly??

Dave Jurek
12-16-2007, 9:06 PM
Man, I'm beginning to really love finishing!! I was almost complete with my polyurethaning my table and I sanded down too aggressively using 400 grit paper with a sanding block. When I put the next layer of poly down, I could see the sanding marks. I ended up having to sand it back down to correct this oversanding. In my ill efforts to correct, I did end up sanding thru the polyurethane taking off some of the stain off. In an attempt to localize the repair, I put some stripper on the effected area, restained it, followed by more poly. Problem is you can distinctively see where I used the stripper. The poly coats are just not blending with the unstripped areas.

I did some more sanding around the border of the stripped to unstripped poly and ended up taking off yet more stain. Seems the more I try to correct this, the more I'm damaging it.

I am almost convinced that a complete strip down of the table top will be the only way that I could get a finished poly coat to look uniform.

The other thing I've noticed is that where I've applied more poly around the (attempted) repair area, there is no shean. Perhaps I applied to quickly after staining but it is very noticable. How do I ensure I don't end up with cloudy poly after all of this.

At any rate, I'm attaching some pictures.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dave

Dave Jurek
12-16-2007, 9:06 PM
Two more pics.

keith ouellette
12-16-2007, 10:52 PM
That looks like it is going to be a beautiful table. I hope you get a better answer than this. I would strip off the poly, lightly sand and blend the stain. I will say one time I put poly on to soon after staining it was very dull. The stain seemed to lift into the poly and cloud it up. so maybe try one more repair and let the stain dry thoroughly. good luck