PDA

View Full Version : A small bowl

Michael McCoy
12-16-2007, 7:47 PM
I've just recently started making bowls and just in the last couple of projects got where I wasn't launching to many blanks at a steady pace. This bowl turned out ok but it almost never got finished. I had just finished roughing the blank for the bowl in these pics and had walked away to check on another project that was drying...... Got back to the lathe and noticed that I had some tool marks that wouldn't take but a second to fix. Murphy was alive and well and about two seconds into the cut, I got my head where it doesn't belong and got a catch that launched this thing right out of the Cole jaws. I normally don't have my dust collection fixture mounted unless I'm sanding but of course this time I did. I was simply amazed how a piece of spinning wood could come out of a chuck, hit a dust collection fixture, do a 180 and come right back at my nose all in about 3 micro seconds. I got back at the lathe though since I left some of the blood on the rail so it can get a bit rusty. :)

No major harm done other than some scraped skin but it got my attention. This bowl is the first time I've tried something other than a basic bowl shape. There are some flaws but it was fun to make.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2007, 8:44 PM
Very nice bowl Michael. Yep those things move quick when launched. I always well my face shield when the lathe is on. It only took on bloody nose to change my habits.

Julie Tanner
12-16-2007, 8:49 PM
very nice bowl. Good to see another charlestonian turning wood.

Keep on Spinning

Jon Lanier
12-16-2007, 9:13 PM
Good looking bowl. Keep rotating that wood at high velocity or that which is appropriate for your work. :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2007, 9:49 PM
Good looking bowl Michael! Glad to hear you didn't get seriously injured! Only takes once to make understand the need for wearing a face shield!

Dan Forman
12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Michael---Glad to hear no major damage to either of you. I like the shape, and it has some really nice figure.

Dan

Tom Sherman
12-17-2007, 3:32 PM
Mike it is good that there is no major damage. Nice lookin bowl.