PDA

View Full Version : Chuck storage

Mike Henderson
12-16-2007, 6:03 PM
I should have asked this question earlier but...

I recently purchased a SuperNova2 chuck while Woodcraft had them on sale. I had a Barracuda2 chuck which works well, but the SuperNova2 has larger jaws. When I purchased the Barracuda2 chuck, I got a box to keep everything in, but the SuperNova2 chuck came in a cardboard box, and even if I kept the chuck in there, it doesn't have any place for the jaws (which are sold separately and are expensive).

I decided that I needed to find a way to store everything before I lost something expensive, and I also wanted to protect the chucks from the turning and woodworking swarf.

This led me to make a box so I could close it to keep the chucks somewhat clean - see pictures.

So my question to the group is - How do you store your chuck(s)? Have I missed some really good concept for storage and wasted my time on this box?

Mike

Paul Heely
12-16-2007, 6:16 PM
Nice looking case Mike. Almost too nice to use. I store my chucks, the screw inserts and keys for tightening on a little shelf to the side of my lathe. Extra jaws are in plastic containers in a drawer.

Walt Nollan
12-16-2007, 6:17 PM
Mine is alomost always on the lathe. I have all the different jaws hanging on the peg-board behind the lathe or in peg-board drawers. When done with a project I blow it out with low pressure air.

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2007, 9:21 PM
Great idea and great looking box Mike. I need to do something like that with 5 chucks.

Gary Herrmann
12-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Nice box Mike. Your Neander side is showing...

I've only got one chuck. Its in it's cardboard box on a shelf on my lathe stand. I do need to organize my accessories better tho.

Richard Madison
12-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Swarf? Am pretty sure I have some of that. Now where did I put it?

Massive overkill on the storage box, and/but it is a very, very nice piece of work.

Having only one chuck with only one jaw set, used almost daily, ---

EDDIE GLAZE
12-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Nice Box. No Such Thing As Overkill. I Store My Chucks In A Drawer On Round Spigots .i Have 5 Chucks So I Don`t Have To Remove The Jaws Happy Turning.

Dean Matthews
12-17-2007, 8:29 AM
A friend of ours sells kitchen cabinets for a living. She had leftover demos one year and I got some of the base cabinets to throw in the garage. The door opens and then the shelf slides out. These have been GREAT for storing my extra parts and doo-dads that I don't want tossed in the toolbox.

The box is great though! About the only thing I would have done different would be to use a foam insert.

Bob Hallowell
12-17-2007, 2:35 PM
Normally I store mine at the nearest clean place by me that I lay them down at. Then when I need to use the tool or surface their laying on I move them to the next clean area. This way I am always guessing and it takes me 10 minutes to find it.

Bob

Steven Wilson
12-17-2007, 3:45 PM
Nice box, I store mine in a 5 drawer Sears Craftsman tool cabinet (lower base cabinet on wheels). Chucks, keys, center's, pen mandrels, beall buffer, tool rests, etc. are all stored there. On top of the cabinet I installed some MDF and attached a Woodcraft low speed grinder / Wolverine jig setup and a LV scraper burnisher.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-17-2007, 4:13 PM
Mike......I think what you did is just add to everyone's "to do" list.....

Nice box!

Paul Engle
12-17-2007, 5:28 PM
Nice flat work,
I store/d mine attached to what ever they are turning or finishing mostly, I tried that box thing, but gosh, I was in and out of the cardboard box so much it wore out and i give up . Now they sit on the sill of the shop window next to the lathe when they got time to sit around , they use to smoke and drink and run around ....but we aint have'n none of that any more either so other wise .... its git to work or else :D:D:eek: time. ;)

Rick Gifford
12-17-2007, 7:11 PM
Ok Mike, is there anything you can't make?

I like the box storage. Well organized. Now I have to make something myself. Add it to my list, gee thanks :p

Right now I store my chucks in a shelf system with plastic bins. Works pretty well. I am planning on building a chest of drawers for the shop. I think I'll incorporate an oraganized drawer for the chucks.

Allen Neighbors
12-17-2007, 8:06 PM
Mine are on short 3/4" dowels on top of my rolling toolrack... about 6 feet above the floor... with the most-used jaws mounted. Other jaws are on a peg-board hook just below the top.
When I want a different one, I trade places with them, blow out the dust, and screw it on the lathe. Quicker works best for me.