PDA

View Full Version : Need help soon, re: box finish.

Clisby Clark
12-16-2007, 5:33 PM
I just finished construction of six cherry silverware boxes featured in the 10/07 PWW to be given as Christmas gifts. Due to the assembly time taking longer than expected (surprise, surprise), I don't have time left for the BLO/lacquer combo he applied because he said the BLO takes two weeks to cure. Can anyone reccommend a non-spray alternative to finish these trays? They are my first real dovetail projects and so far are still quite presentable, although not perfect by any means. I would hate to screw everything up at the finish line. Thanks as always for your help.

Todd Burch
12-17-2007, 8:51 AM
Whether BLO "cures" in two minutes, two hours, two days, two weeks, two years, two decades, two scores or two milllenia, I cannot say.

But I do know that if you wipe BLO thinned with 50% mineral spirits or paint thinner on wood, let it soak for a few minutes, and do that up to two more times, then wipe it real good with a rag to get the excess off, and let it dry overnight in a warm area where the air can circulate, it will be ready to lacquer over the next day. I've done this DOZENS of times and never had any issues or failures on woods other than large-pored woods like red oak.

Two weeks. I don't think so.

Todd

Sean Kinn
12-17-2007, 9:24 AM
A wiping varnish or shellac will dry very quickly. I haven't used shellac yet, but I have used the Minwax wipe-on poly. I can easily apply 3 coats in one day, and it will be ready for use in 24 hours. I know many folks detest using poly, but as a newbie it's a finish that is readily available that I'm comfortable with.

I've also got a silverware box on the list to make, and my only concern is that the poly can smell a bit. I'm thinking I'll experiment with shellac for mine, since many folks here swear by it.

Steve Schoene
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree with Todd. Overnight in a warm space with circulation and you should be good to go with lacquer. If the woodworking gods generally don't go your way, put on a coat of shellac before the lacquer, in an excess of caution. Or, if you use one of the darker shellacs, it will have much the same effect "popping" the grain as the oil, and be ready for overcoating in half an hour.