PDA

View Full Version : FedEx is top notch in my book!

Bryan Berguson
12-16-2007, 3:49 PM
We have a driveway that is about 1000 ft long with an uphill turn at the house then around the cal-de-sac back down the hill while turning. A little treacherous for non 4-wheel drive in the snow. Since my wife and I each have 4wd, I don't plow it until we get 8-10 inches and we only had about 6.

I was expecting a package from Woodcraft delivered by Fedex and noticed on the website that they had tried to deliver but because of local weather, they were going to try the next business day (Monday). On Saturday, my wife was over in the garage and we heard her come up on the porch (or so we thought). I didn't think much of it for a few minutes until she didn't come in. I looked out the window down the driveway when what to my wondering eyes should appear but 2 FedEx men and their big white truck (just couldn't get a rhyme out of this :rolleyes: )...at the end of the driveway. They walked the package to the door!

The brown trucks usually leave stuff at the end of the driveway and we don't blame them a bit. The last thing they need is to get stuck. This is what I was hoping/figuring that FedEx would do but they went above and beyond to deliver my package! :)

Anybody know if FedEx will give out a drivers name so we can get them a box of candy?

Bryan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-16-2007, 4:32 PM
Bryan,

Doesn't surprise me a bit! I deal with FedEx several times weekly and their local office is 3 blocks from my house. When my new MM-16 delivered, the driver put it on a pallet jack...lowered it to the ground....My driveway is gravel and the pallet jack wouldn't negotiate the gravel. The FedEx driver, myself and a neighbor rotated 3 sheets of plywood the length of my lot to get the bandsaw into the shop. I tipped the guy a sawbuck and he refused it 3 times.....I finally slipped into this shirt pocket and told him I wouldn't take "No" for an answer.

Mitchell Andrus
12-16-2007, 8:24 PM
I ship with Fed Ex Ground exclusively, five years now... Used brown for six years before switching and haven't looked back.

Brown is union, Fed Ex isn't.

David G Baker
12-16-2007, 8:40 PM
The LOML is an Avon rep and her orders are delivered by FedEx. We take good care of the driver and fatten him up every holiday with goodies. We have had great service from FedEx. Our driver has always gone the extra mile.
If I sell something heavy on Ebay I take it to a UPS shipping center because it is convenient and the price has been reasonable.

Fred LeBail
12-16-2007, 9:03 PM
When I order molder knives from the states they are shipped UPS. They are delivered to me by FedEx. Go figure.

Steve knight
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
my fedex guy is about as lazy as it gets. he used to have to come down through the big roll up door to my shop since I had a bell installed he just stands there and rings the bell. takes far longer for me to hear and come out. then around Christmas they claim no one is there and don't even make it to my shop and claim I was closed. and if no one is there they won't leave a delivery notice very often. the mail is still the best service.

Jim Dalton
12-16-2007, 11:02 PM
We live back off the road on a private driveway with seven other houses. The street has a name, but is never on any maps. When we first moved out there, the Fedexground guy had no trouble finding us, UPS sent us a POSTCARD! by us mail saying they could not find us. I told the UPS guy to try following the mail truck! He didn't laugh.

We use Fedexground exclusively when shipping from LOML's pottery business and never have a problem. I have our local driver's cell phone#, call him when I have a pickup and he is there same day, no pick up charge. Even though we prepay and add the freight, so client is paying, we find Fedexground is less than any other carrier for same weight to same place.

Had nightmare experience with DHL, took them 9 days to deliver to us an overnite shipment from 125 miles away. It seems that when it was time for the driver to start making pickups, they just stopped deliveries for that day and did pickups then back to the terminal. As we were at the end of the route, they never did get to us. After several phone conversations with dispatch, they came up with the novel idea of starting one morning at our end of the route!

Tim A. Mitchell
12-17-2007, 2:55 AM
My only experience with DHL was supurb. I ordered some skis off the Bay, from a guy in Canada. The arrived 5 minutes after the guy notified me they had shipped. OK, well it was about 2 days, but it was quick.

Randal Stevenson
12-17-2007, 3:17 AM
Only had one experience with DHL, replacement hard drive came that way. Nothing special.

FedEx and UPS are both good to me, as I know some drivers from both. But I have had a bad UPS driver at work before. He is KNOWN in this area, as he stated, to a reporter, his GOAL was to be the worst in the union and still have his job.

Locally, he has succeeded, no idea nationally.:confused:

Company matters little, if someone takes pride in their work, IMHO.

Jim Becker
12-17-2007, 11:28 AM
All of the services bring everything to our back door...even though it's been frustrating to do so lately due to the construction. Al, the brown driver, is practically an extended family member since he's at our door so often, but the various other services have also been nice to us. (Consider that FedEX Home are all contractors in my area, too...) I give a lot of kudos to these folks...it's a tough job, especially when the weather gets bad and totally nuts around the holidays. Long days!

'Glad you got your delivery without having to wait until Monday!

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-17-2007, 1:14 PM
You won't find anyone better than UPS in my neck of the woods. I'm situated in a industrial area that is mostly condemned buildings slated for tear down this spring with an entire new complex being build (yes, I'm going to have to relocate). I sold my business last year as so quit using UPS for pickup, but, my driver showed up this weekend with a very nice single malt beverage for me and wishes for a Merry Christmas!

Now, FedEx goes out of there way to not find me, even though I have been on site for over 6 years with deliveries from them, they just don't seem to be able to keep the same drivers on the route.

My brother works for DHL in a city north of me and the nightmares he tells about are something else. Also, at least in his branch, the pay is horrible for how hard these package delivery folks have to work.

Happy Holidays All

Brian Elfert
12-17-2007, 8:37 PM
USPS is the worst for me. If it won't fit in my mailbox they usually will take it back to the carrier annex that is only open M-F 9-5 for pickup.

UPS and Fedex leave stuff at my front door all the time. I live in a good neighborhood plus it is nearly impossible to see my front door from the road since my house is so far back.

Dave Lehnert
12-17-2007, 9:58 PM
I run the dock door at work. Each day we good from UPS and FEDEX. The ups truck boxes are just tossed in and a lot is damaged. The FEDEX truck is neatly organized and every box is in good order. The Fed EX guy owns his own truck. It is his own personal business in a way. He said any damaged product he is personally responsible for. They will not accept a damaged package from another driver. UPS just toss things around. Who cares if it gets damaged or not. UPS insurance is a joke. If your package gets damaged and you file for a credit they will not pay. Why? They say if it got damaged, you did not package it good enough.

Bryan Berguson
12-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I should mention that our local mail carriers, USPS, are very good too. We order a lot of stuff from Ebay for the kids and it all comes by mail. The MC's are always driving up the driveway to deliver it to the porch and never leave packages by the garage door where they may get wet.

I guess it depends on the individuals and the pride they take in their work. We're pretty lucky here with the drivers we have for all of our deliveries, especially considering where we live. (a dirt road with a long driveway)

Bryan

Brian Elfert
12-17-2007, 10:25 PM
To be clear, only the FedEx ground and home delivery drivers own their trucks. FedEx Express drivers are FedEx employees.

I never get anything overnight so I always get the contract guys. I shipped a 15 lb box via FedEx last week and ground service was $12. Overnight was $117 for the same package. I can't afford overnight service these days with fuel surcharges upwards of 50%.

Matt Meiser
12-17-2007, 10:56 PM
All are good here. When I need to mail something too big for the mailbox, I just stick a note in and our carries comes up to the house. All leave anything not needing a signature on our doorstep, not that they need to much now that I'm home. The only bad delivery person we have is our paper carrier who doesn't deliver once every few weeks and recently wrote everyone on her route a nasty letter about complaining to the paper.

My only complaint with Fedex is that they won't do business delivery to my house, even though I work from home. That's caused delays on two occasions getting something I needed--most importantly my final paycheck from my last employer!

Priority Mail seems to have gotten to be about the easiest and most economical way to ship most things. UPS is usually next. The Internet has made shipping for even casual users a cinch as long as you can get an accurate enough weight.

Even DHL has been good. Maybe too good. I had some repair parts that needed to back to Dell after a lot of frustration solving their problem and arguing with them about what I knew they needed to do to fix it. They told me to put it on my door step and DHL would pick it up. So I did. In the rain. On Friday afternoon with rain forecast all weekend. I'd hoped it would sit in the rain until Monday, but they showed up on Friday. :rolleyes:

As far as the drivers who went the extra mile here, contact the local depot with the tracking number handy. They should be able to determine who they were. You might not be able to get their names, but a nice letter to the boss should get noticed. Even better, write a letter to the CEO's office (you can get the name and address from Yahoo! Finance) with that information.

Bob Feeser
12-18-2007, 7:11 PM
Fed Ex rules. All of the tools I bought that were shipped, not one of them from Fed Ex had so much as a scratched box, let alone a more serioius problem. Another great one is the United States Postal Service.
On the other hand, I have received so many destroyed boxes from UPS, I can't begin to recant the stories. A friend of mine had a job doing some accounting, and he had to go into a UPS warehouse, and saw guys throwing boxes through the air 20 plus feet, and watched the boxes dancing across the floor. I had to reorder a Makita 12" slider twice because they had crushed the top of the saw. I used to sell new PC's to be delivered to the doorstep, and most of the boxes arrived with the foam surround broken into little tiny pieces with the new PC sliding around in the box. So after so many experiences with that, I came up with an original funny,and here it is
Do you know what UPS stands for?
Unbelievably Pulverized Shipment :eek::):eek:

Randal Stevenson
12-18-2007, 7:48 PM
Fed Ex rules. All of the tools I bought that were shipped, not one of them from Fed Ex had so much as a scratched box, let alone a more serioius problem. Another great one is the United States Postal Service.
On the other hand, I have received so many destroyed boxes from UPS, I can't begin to recant the stories. A friend of mine had a job doing some accounting, and he had to go into a UPS warehouse, and saw guys throwing boxes through the air 20 plus feet, and watched the boxes dancing across the floor. I had to reorder a Makita 12" slider twice because they had crushed the top of the saw. I used to sell new PC's to be delivered to the doorstep, and most of the boxes arrived with the foam surround broken into little tiny pieces with the new PC sliding around in the box. So after so many experiences with that, I came up with an original funny,and here it is
Do you know what UPS stands for?
Unbelievably Pulverized Shipment :eek::):eek:

My father works for a damaged freight recovery place. He is their computer guy (retired IBMer), and says it has got a LOT worse with pc's and ALL carriers now.

The Culprit? Nowdays, there isn't enough decent packing with them (people don't expect to have to remove the pc's cover and unpack it inside), to surround those massive heatsinks, which rip off the cpu and socket and go wondering.

Non overclocking, business class machines, fair better.

Something to think about for those of you looking for new gaming machines.

Brian Elfert
12-18-2007, 7:53 PM
The last item I just sold on Ebay cost $12 via Fedex Home and $25 via Priority mail. Guess which method I choose?

I have used Priority mail in some cases, but Fedex Ground/Home is often my choice as they are cheap and reasonably close by. I don't even know where my local post office is as the retail counter and carrier annex are split. I go to another post office on the way to/from work.

Bob Feeser
12-19-2007, 11:43 PM
As much as I pounce on UPS, I still use them for heavier packages, because of how much cheaper they are than the post office for heavy packages. I use Prioriy Mail, USPS for light stuff, it gets to anywhere within the intercontinental US in only 1 to 3 days, and the boxes are perfect, and it costs only a little bit more than ground. Light stuff means computer components light. I should compare Fed Ex prices, but I am a little frustrated with Fed Ex, although they do a great job, I live in a single home development, very safe, and they will not leave a box unless someone signs for it. (I know there are constraints on the senders side) UPS leaves boxes on my step, never had a problem. Sometimes it is like playing tag with Fed Ex, and I have to stay home some days in order to receive a box.

C Scott McDonald
12-20-2007, 9:28 PM
My UPS person, Will, is awesome. I work as a field tech and get parts shipped to the house two to three times a week. If I am around he puts everything in garage. If not he plastic warps ALL the boxs and leaves them on the porch.

I have all my Fed Ex stuff ship "Hold" which goes to the terminal near where I live. Those guys on the otherhand leave a lot to be desired. I had a large part shipped in and it came on pallet. The pallet was only for shipping protection of the plastic part. Honestly, the pallet weighed more then the part. The Fed Ex guy came completely unglued over it because it was so big and they didnt have pallet jacks. During the middle of his rant I just walked over to it and picked up the entire thing and took it out to my van. His coworker came out and apolized but to be honest they can kiss my ass. My company probably does a million dollars a year with Fedex nationally and this is how they treat people.

Scott