PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about purchasing a lathe

jonathan snyder
12-16-2007, 2:26 PM
Hi folks,

I usually hang out in Neanderthal Haven and try to avoid tailed tools when I can, but I really need some chisel handles. I am contemplating the purchase of a Jet Mini Lathe, as they seem to get good reviews and are on sale through the end of the month. I have never used a lathe, so I'm a total beginner. To start out I'm interested in making tool handles and furniture knobs. Might like to try pens, small bowls or other such things one day.

The three Jet lathes which are on sale are the #708375VS VARIABLE SPEED 10" × 14" INDEXING MINI LATHE $329, the # 708375 10" × 14" INDEXING MINI LATHE $249, and the #708376 12" × 20" MINI LATHE $329. The jet web site seems to be down at the moment, but here is a link to the sale flyer Sale (http://woodworking.jettools.com/Media.aspx?nav=Promotions)

Is the variable speed lathe worth the extra money, or would I be better served to get the larger 12" for the same price?

I realize the variable speed still requires belt changes to take advantage of all the speeds.

How often does one change speeds?

The jet lathes are really the only thing available locally, that fit my budget.

Thanks
Jonathan

George Guadiane
12-16-2007, 2:41 PM
Variable speed and reverse are the two things I appreciate about my PM 3520...
I also like being able to turn bigger pieces, but if I had were going to buy another "best lathe" and I didn't want to invest that much again, the variable speed and the reverse for sanding and finishing would be the things I would reach for. Most of the really beautiful things can be scaled up or down to fit the machine.
JMHO

Jude Kingery
12-16-2007, 2:49 PM
Jonathan; George's opinion is pretty much what I think as well. Our little lathe has a manual pulley change system that actually is very easy and fast (it's an old machine, belonged to my Dad) to change speeds, but limited to those three speeds, say between 750 - 1,700 or so (guesstimate). Our big lathe has both manual change, and then variable speed from off, slow crawl to really rapid, topped out and I find as George reflected that I use the reverse sometimes, but the variable speed is a very nice thing to have and I use it all the time for just subtle speed changes and till it sounds right, true. So I'd encourage you to have the added features if - you're going to be doing a lot of spindle work/turning. For $80 bucks, to me it'd be very well worth it. Jude

Gordon Seto
12-16-2007, 3:12 PM
I don't think the manual speed change models can have reverse. The VS model can be converted to have reverse if you do some modification to the wiring to the DC motor.

For most of the spindle work, you normally turn at higher speed. When sanding you would like the slow speed to avoid overheating.

The choice is between the 1014 VS and the 1220. I think I would lean towards the 1220 for heavier weight, more capacity and horse power. IMO, at this price range, these are the best value lathes with most reliability, quality record, . You will be hard to find more enjoyable lathes without going over this budget 2~3 times.

Gordon

Mike A. Smith
12-16-2007, 3:18 PM
Jonathan, I think you'll find George's advice to be the consensus. I have a small PSI lathe and while it's served me well so far, if I had it to do over again I would get the JET VS. Of course, one of these days I'll move up to a big boy lathe!

If you get the belt drive you will change speeds at least twice on any project you do (including pens). If you get the VS you will do it more often and get better results.

Barry Stratton
12-16-2007, 3:32 PM
I guess I'll go against the grain.........

My first lathe is the Jet 10" VS. While a great little lathe, I'd recommend getting a non-variable speed mini and invest the $$ saved on a close quarters drill for power sanding....or other tools. It is not a hassle or time consuming task to change belts and you have to do it anyway to take full advantage of the VS.

Good luck in your decision, hope you've got some snow up there....we do!

Robert McGowen
12-16-2007, 3:54 PM
I have two of the 3 lathes that you mention.

In a nutshell, the answer is: "#708376 12" × 20" MINI LATHE $329"

The simple reason is that I can do anything on the 12" lathe that I can do on the 10" lathe, but there are a lot of things that I can do on the 12" lathe that I can not do on the 10" lathe.

Marvin Hasenak
12-16-2007, 5:28 PM
I am going against the grain also, if you are in production the few seconds that it take to change the belt will add up over a years time. It takes less than 15 seconds to change the belt. If you do 4 projects a day and have to change the speed 8 times that amounts to 2 minutes. Since this is a hobby I look at what other tools, wood or whatever I can buy with that extra $100 for saving 2 minutes a day.

I would not "waste" my $100 on variable speed, I would spend it bigger and better. For what you mentioned, tool handles, pens, small bowls the Jet without the variable will cover what you want to do. Granted 6 months from now you may want a top of the line big bad boy to play with. But most keep their small lathes and still use it for a buffer. Who needs a variable speed buffer that cost an extra $100.

Marvin

Jason Hallowell
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm a novice turner, so I might not have the best advice, but I would go with the larger capacity over the VS. When I bought my lathe, jet had not yet come out with the 12x20, or I probably would have bought it. I ended up getting the Rikon which is almost identical, and I can change speeds quickly and easily with one hand, and the added capacity has been more useful than I had imagined. Just my $0.02

Neal Addy
12-17-2007, 1:11 AM
I've got to side with the non-VS group. VS is great on a full-size lathe but I have a hard time justifying it on a mini. The speed settings on the non-VS models allow you to do anything you want to do and changing belt positions is a no-brainer. And, VS does come at a sacrifice in torque at the low-end. That's why Jet chose not to put it on the 1220.

Save that extra $100 for accessories.

jonathan snyder
12-17-2007, 2:12 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone. If I bite the bullet, I think Ill go with the 12-20.

Jonathan

Chris Cobb
12-31-2007, 8:04 PM
I went looking for the Jet 1220, but it seems to be missing from the usual resellers (Rockler and Woodcraft). Can anyone tell me where I could find this product?

thanks