PDA

View Full Version : Here's recent work pics

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 10:52 PM
Here are some pictures of recent stuff I've been doing. The first ones are a zircote bowl I just finished. I finished it with shellac and the Beall Buffing System.

Todd Burch
03-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Hi Kurt!

Good looking bowl. I wish I had turning skills. I have a lathe, and probably three sets of turning tools - just not enough practice!

I have some stone that looks just like your bowl. I'ts called Carmello. It's fairly soft, but it looks just like a burl wood. I bought it over a year ago (2 slabs, actually), and haven't figured out what to do with it yet. Maybe tables by the pool...

Anyway, great looking bowl! Keep those posts coming. How did you finish it?

Todd.

Steve Roxberg
03-04-2003, 11:06 PM
What is the finished wall thickness? I'm just starting to turn bowls and was curious?

Howard Barlow
03-04-2003, 11:07 PM
That's beautiful, Kurt. It looks like feathers in wings, laying along the body.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 11:12 PM
I really like the grain patterns of the zircote

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 11:14 PM
I made this thing out of tiger maple and wenge...haven't put a pic in it yet.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 11:17 PM
here's another frame pic. I made this for a x-mas present but never got it done in time. I got the plans from a woodsmith issue and the construction is really neat.

Thanks for looking! Kurt

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Steve Roxberg
What is the finished wall thickness? I'm just starting to turn bowls and was curious?

Steve...I just kinda kept the wall thickness pretty thick (about 3/8") because I wanted a nice heavy bowl so that when you pick it up, you really feel something substantial.

I would say this thing weighs in around 2-3 pounds.

Lars Thomas
03-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Love that contrast on the frame. I recall seeing that plan in the mag. Seeing a 'real' pix of it, makes it all that more appealing to make. Lars

Bob Lasley
03-04-2003, 11:24 PM
with that zircote! How does it work? How does it look for flat work? I think that is absolutely one of the prettiest bowls I have ever seen. The frames are nice too, in fact, you should take a pic of the bowl to put in the frame! :D

Great work Kurt,

Bob

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Todd Burch

Good looking bowl. I wish I had turning skills. I have a lathe, and probably three sets of turning tools - just not enough practice!

How did you finish it?

Todd...You know..I just kind of started turning with no real formal training and have ruined my share of nice blanks. I still have a long ways to go, but I felt pretty good about this one (albeit there are some unreconciled scratch marks).

I finished it with dewaxed shellac and then used the beall buffing system which is a tripoli/white diamond/carnuba wax regiment. It really makes the bowls gleam.

My advice for you is...spend a few bucks and get some decent lathe tools and keep them sharp. You will have half the battle won!!

Good luck and thanks, Todd.

Tim Spickler
03-05-2003, 6:34 AM
Beautiful work. I really like the wood selection in that frame.

Ted Shrader
03-05-2003, 7:09 AM
Kurt -

Very nice selection of wood in both the frame work and the lathe work. Finished out very nicely.

Ted

Gary Hern
03-05-2003, 7:55 AM
That wood is fantastic! Nice shape on the bowl.

Paul Di Biasio
03-05-2003, 8:33 AM
That bowl got my attention. I have never seen Zircoté. How much does a bowl blank cost?

Very nice work.

Randy Gleckler
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Kurt,

Those are AWESOME, I really love that bowl... I might have to try and find some of that wood to try. Looks great, I love the pic frame too.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-05-2003, 2:18 PM
Originally posted by Paul Di Biasio
That bowl got my attention. I have never seen Zircoté. How much does a bowl blank cost?

Very nice work.

Paul:
I think I paid about $40 for that blank which started out 10"x10"x4". I've had it for about 6 months. Needless to say, I waited til I felt more comfortable with my skills before possibly ruining it.

You can find these blanks at any wood store (I got mine at Rockler). And the wood is very dense - translation - you have to have sharp tools or you just get beat up.

Thanks, Kurt

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-05-2003, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by Bob Lasley
with that zircote! How does it work? How does it look for flat work? I think that is absolutely one of the prettiest bowls I have ever seen. The frames are nice too, in fact, you should take a pic of the bowl to put in the frame! :D

Great work Kurt,

Bob

The zircote is a super dense wood that has phenomenal grain patters. I've seen flat boards that were really cool. It almost looks like the unfinished color has a lot of brown and greys in it.

As far as working it...you really need sharp tools because it's like working with iron. The grain is so tight, you would think that there would be a lot of tear out issues( due to the swirling grain)...but...I didn't really have many on the bowl. Again...I haven't worked any flat stock, but I imagine it would machine very well...and obviously..the visual is stunning.

Kurt

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2003, 9:37 PM
Figured maple & dark woods are my favorite combination - but man that bowl is awsome. I've never seen grain patterns like that before.

Great Job