PDA

View Full Version : 3 Phase Power equipment

Mike Grzeskiewicz
12-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I was looking at a old Delta Rockwell 20" bandsaw that ran on 3 phase power. I don't have 3 phase at my house.

I was told that there are converter out there. Static and variable.

My question: is it worth getting a 3 phase saw if the price is right and run it through a converter. I think I read somewhere you have to be careful since there is a loss in power going through the converter.

thanks,
Mike

Bruce Page
12-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Mike, I have been running a machine shop type milling machine and lathe on a static converter (Phase-O-Matic) for many years without a single hiccup.
They say you loose some power with the static type converter but I can’t tell any difference. You’ll get full power out of a rotary converter but they cost several times more unless you build your own.
Long story short, don’t let the 3ph scare you off if it’s a good deal on the bandsaw.

Carroll Courtney
12-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Mike, I to was face with that same problem.Only thing its not a problem.And you don't loose voltage with the RPC,but you do w/the static.I have just made myself a RPC.Not completely finish yet,but last nite I did start up my 7.5hp idler motor and the voltage at all 3 legs is 230,235,236.The nameplate amps is at 22amp,but w/ the capacitors its at 17amps.No load yet applied.I thought that it was above my simple minded capabilies,but with help from www.practicalmachinist.com (http://www.practicalmachinist.com) its was achievable.Go there and scroll down till you see,VSD,RSC.Good deals can be had on 3phase equipment,with the price of copper now days,motors are very expensive.Go for it and good luck.Carroll

Brian Weick
12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
My recommendation would be a VFD Variable frequency drive- in my opinion they work much better - less expensive to run and tons of options- soft start - variable speed- forward/reverse - input options - I have had both static and rotary at one time and when I was told about these VFD and picked one up and installed it- what a difference- balissimo! :)
Brian

Jim Becker
12-16-2007, 12:02 PM
For the right machines, it's absolutely worth it, IMHO. What method you use to provide the 3-phase power can be affected by whether or not there is only a single machine involved or several and if you expect you'll need the full rated power of the tool. Static and VFD provided 3-phase can be quite economical for a single machine, but I'd certainly go for a rotary system for multiples. And if you are up to building your own as someone already suggested, rotary can also be pretty inexpensive. There have been some other threads on this from time to time with lots of good information in them!

Matt Meiser
12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
There's a few threads on VFD's here. They take a little wiring and programming of the VFD but the variable speed would be nice on a bandsaw as it would give you metal cutting capabilities. For a 2HP VFD system, figure about $200-250 by the time you buy the VFD, switches, possibly some kind of enclosure, etc. On a bandsaw, it might not be too hard to find a replacement single phase motor as another option. Even on a Unisaw which takes a special motor, I know of a couple guys who've gotten them cheap enough to make them a good deal even doing a motor swap.

Kermit Hodges
12-16-2007, 6:40 PM
The first thing to consider is, is this a one time purchase? Are you going to consider other 3 phase machines? If yes, then you should look at a RPC (Rotary Phase Converter) as it can power all your machines. For $350 more or less you can build your own and it is a one time expense. Then you set for anything else you purchase. Just build a bigger than one than you think you will need.

If this is a one time purchase then a Static or VFD is probably a better choice as they are cheaper. I lean toward the VFD myself. They are fairly straight forward if you know much about wiring. Have a lot of features and unlike Static converters, they should give you full power.

But, once you get a RFC going. Suddenly your opened up to a new world of real woodworking machines and cheaper prices too.

Mike Grzeskiewicz
12-16-2007, 9:49 PM
thanks for all the replies!

Pat Germain
12-16-2007, 10:12 PM
So, why are these three-phase machines cheaper than a typical 110V or 220V machine?

Bruce Page
12-16-2007, 10:31 PM
So, why are these three-phase machines cheaper than a typical 110V or 220V machine?

Supply and demand. As industry upgrades, their old equipment filters down the food chain. Not many hobbyists have three phase or even know much about it so the price comes down.

Mike Heidrick
12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
There's a few threads on VFD's here. They take a little wiring and programming of the VFD but the variable speed would be nice on a bandsaw as it would give you metal cutting capabilities. For a 2HP VFD system, figure about $200-250 by the time you buy the VFD, switches, possibly some kind of enclosure, etc.

QFT!!!!

This is the only way to go. In fact on my next bandsaw purchase I might actually seek out a 3hp or less 3 phase Bandsaw. It would be the perfect combo as you can use the variable speed to dial in the proper speed for your material.

I use a FM50 VFD from factorymation for my DJ30 and it was only about $150 or so dollars (looks like 3hp price is up to $185 now). If you plan to mount the VFD high enough up you will not need any additional switches as you can just use the VFD. You will want to do that anyway to adjust the speed. In fact you do NOT want any switches between the VFD and the motor.

For your 2hp setup you need to order the FM50-202-C at $145. Website is www dot factorymation dot com .