PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a coonhound

Craig D Peltier
12-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I have been thinking of getting a black an tan. I grew up with hunting coonhounds from maybe 1 yrs old till 13 or so. So im familiar with breed. My question is does yours bark alot? Does it dig alot? I think its the type of dog you dont want to let off leash due to it taking off and hunting or just exploring.
I do recall them barking but it was like 6-9 dogs all the time so once on egets going so do the others.
I currently have a 27lb Boston Terrier.

Thanks

Paul Girouard
12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I love B&T hounds , never owned one but always liked there look and sound while at field trials back in the 70's. Fine hounds .

As far as digging and barking that's going to depend on how you keep them / him / her. Will it be a one hound hunt, / family hound ? Keep tied ? kenneled? Fenced yard ?

I think , from my experiences back when I owned hounds , most guys had more than one , most where tied out on cable runs , or kenneled in groups so one dog barking meant , more dogs barking , tied dogs tend to bark more , fenced , dogs in big yard tend to be quieter IF nothing is around , like other neighbor kids , dogs, etc banging / playing along the fence line .

I think a B&T hound would be a good family dog , but IF given a chance it will roam / go hunting on it's own.

So there's a lot of variables in your question.

Will you hunt it down in Duval? Whats the road conditions like ? So many roads and cars today I think a coon hound will get run over by a car , at least up here , and where would you cast it? Again up here on Whidbey the cops would be getting calls and harassing the hunter no doubt that would be a problem.

Good luck if you find one , look for a Old fashion type , shorter, stouter / bigger boned dogs .

BTW I ran Blueticks / Redticks ( Blue Gascoins (sp) ), my buddy had a great Grade Walker hound . But hunted over all kinds of hounds Plotts , Walkers , Blue ticks , etc .

I never did own a B&T , they where hard to find back in R.I. back then I guess. I always liked the breed.

Good luck.

Craig D Peltier
12-16-2007, 7:19 PM
I love B&T hounds , never owned one but always liked there look and sound while at field trials back in the 70's. Fine hounds .

As far as digging and barking that's going to depend on how you keep them / him / her. Will it be a one hound hunt, / family hound ? Keep tied ? kenneled? Fenced yard ?

I think , from my experiences back when I owned hounds , most guys had more than one , most where tied out on cable runs , or kenneled in groups so one dog barking meant , more dogs barking , tied dogs tend to bark more , fenced , dogs in big yard tend to be quieter IF nothing is around , like other neighbor kids , dogs, etc banging / playing along the fence line .

I think a B&T hound would be a good family dog , but IF given a chance it will roam / go hunting on it's own.

So there's a lot of variables in your question.

Will you hunt it down in Duval? Whats the road conditions like ? So many roads and cars today I think a coon hound will get run over by a car , at least up here , and where would you cast it? Again up here on Whidbey the cops would be getting calls and harassing the hunter no doubt that would be a problem.

Good luck if you find one , look for a Old fashion type , shorter, stouter / bigger boned dogs .

BTW I ran Blueticks / Redticks ( Blue Gascoins (sp) ), my buddy had a great Grade Walker hound . But hunted over all kinds of hounds Plotts , Walkers , Blue ticks , etc .

I never did own a B&T , they where hard to find back in R.I. back then I guess. I always liked the breed.

Good luck.

Thanks my dad had them back in Mass. Theres a farm in oregon called www.windbournefarms.com (http://www.windbournefarms.com) that sells them.

Paul Girouard
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks my dad had them back in Mass. Theres a farm in oregon called www.windbournefarms.com (http://www.windbournefarms.com) that sells them.

That link doesn't work:( Where at in Mass.? I ran some dogs with guys from the Douglas and Medford areas.

Craig D Peltier
12-17-2007, 1:02 AM
That link doesn't work:( Where at in Mass.? I ran some dogs with guys from the Douglas and Medford areas.

http://www.windbournefarm.com/coonhounds.htm I ran inot one of the pups in woodinville. She actually has one right now I believe about 10 weeks old for sale.1k

My dad was a coonhunter.We ran the dogs most in lakeville, rochester area when there skins were worth money. Then he raised beagles for hunting. Now he has 2 hawks. I guess he still hasnt grown up.:D

Paul Girouard
12-17-2007, 1:27 AM
Those are good lookin hounds :cool:, the old classics B&Tans for sure .

http://www.windbournefarm.com/windbourne%20dog/Clem%20as%20a%20baby.jpg

1K Yikes , times have changed , I never paid that much for a hound that was trained , drivin and treeing.

That pup sure if cute though;)

Randall Maden
12-17-2007, 5:29 AM
I have owned Blue Tick Hounds and Bloodhounds. The Blueticks are definately hunters right out of the "box". The hounds need room to run and hunt and will cause a ruckus if they can't satisfy that need. The hounds that I had were really good with my kids.

Paul Girouard
12-22-2007, 4:38 PM
Here's those two Blue ticks I had , 1976 IIRC , Babe the female ( upper photo) and Thunder the male ( lower photo).

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Dec22nd1.jpg

Fine NE hounds , the male came out of south county R.I. , the female from White River Junction kennels in Vt.

Pat Germain
12-22-2007, 9:03 PM
I have two beagles which are also hounds. I think they are similar to coon dogs, so I'll share what I know.

I know from research and personal experience that hounds must be fenced in. It also has to be a good fence because they are little Houdinis. Sometimes you can let them run free in a rural area, but typically they will find a scent, follow it and get lost. You have to keep a good eye on them or keep them on a leash.

I have also seen hounds on chains and they barked a lot. This is in their nature. They are pack dogs and don't like to be chained up or alone. If they get lonely, they will bay for long periods.

Hounds make great pets, but they are very demanding. They constantly crave food and affection and will get quite bratty if they don't get enough of either. They will eat until they make themselves sick. So, you have to feed them just enough to keep them going without making them fat and make up for it with lots of attention and companionship.

My male beagle became quite depressed when my kids moved out. That's why we got him a female buddy. He's much happier now and they enjoy each other's company. If you get a hound, he will most likely get along well with another dog.