PDA

View Full Version : Depth gauge?

Bonnie Campbell
12-16-2007, 9:35 AM
I'm TRYING to find a depth gauge. Any suggestions? I don't need anything fancy. Using my finger to measure is getting old (besides being inaccurate!). The only one I ran across just had something like a 4" cross piece.... Or am I just looking to for something that I could use another device instead?

(Totally tool dumb!)

Thanks!

Brian McInturff
12-16-2007, 9:50 AM
Bonnie, checkout Bill Grumbines Home page. He has a very simple but effective depth guage. All it takes is 3 pieces of wood.Once you see it you'll say "why didn't I think of that". That's what I said anyway:)

Bernie Weishapl
12-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Bonnie sent you a PM. It has the website Brian was talking about plus post of the one I made from his second DVD.

Jim Becker
12-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I most often use a pencil and the "mark-one eyeball", but Bill Grumbine's little jig is pretty kewel and will work on nearly any form.

Gordon Seto
12-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Bill Grumbine gave a demo at our Club last month. Now he has a fancy gadget that uses a laser beam, no more peeping with one eye closed. It has the same principle as those laser used in hollowing rig.

BTW, it was a very entertaining demo. We had good laugh as well as educational. There was hands-on the next day. I have taken quite a few classes over the years. This was not one of those follow the leader type; you learn as much as you want at your own pace. He actually generated the pre-announced catches and showed us why they happened. I highly recommend both.

Gordon

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Bonnie - I made a version of Bill Grumbine's gauge and while being very low-tech it does work quite well!

Walt Nollan
12-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Bonnie, Take a straight piece of stable stock about 3-4 inches longer than the biggest diameter turning you do and drill a close tolerence (for a snug fit, no slop) hole in the center for a dowel the size of your choosing. And Wa La! You can use a brass or other mental rod as well. A snug fit is the key so you don't loose your depth setting.

Walt

Bonnie Campbell
12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll have to give it a try :) Looks like something even I 'might' be able to make lol