PDA

View Full Version : Groz Planes

Jim Dunn
12-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Wood Craft sells these planes and currently has a couple on sale. Just wondering if I should wait on a LV or a LN. I need a block plane and could use a "roughing" plane of some sort.

Recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

mike holden
12-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Save your money.

If you have to have a plane now, buy a used one, it will be less work to fettle.

Save up for a LN or LV - you wont be disappointed.
Mike

glenn bradley
12-15-2007, 11:43 PM
I've got a Groz and am jonesing for a LV. It's a decent 'beater' plane which is what it was purchased for ($23 on sale at Rockler). I use it for rough shaping. I trimmed the aprons and joints on my two-by workbench frame with it and it worked fine.

Tim Johnson
12-16-2007, 12:22 AM
I picked one up in a box of various hand tools at an estate auction. The adjustment is coarse, and the mouth won't handle a Hock blade that I tried to "improve" it with. Like the others have stated, it will work in a pinch, but even a battered, used, older stanley is a better bet in my opinion and can also be found at estate sales for pennies, just keep looking.

Gary Herrmann
12-16-2007, 1:19 AM
Save your money, Jim.

Jim Dunn
12-16-2007, 7:52 AM
Thanks all for the info. It was suggested to me that this might be an easy gift for my youngest son to give me. I think I'll opt for the gift card.