PDA

View Full Version : Finishing padauk?

Dan Forman
12-15-2007, 9:46 PM
I'm working on the last of the handles, this one is primarily padauk, and I'm noticing just how open pored it is. It seems much more apparent in the round than when flat. for those who have turned it, do you just finish it as is, or do something to fill the pores to some degree?

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Dan I used sand sealer on mine and just followed the directions. Then finished it. Worked pretty good.

Mike A. Smith
12-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Dan, you can also use oil while sanding, antique, danish or whatever. Wipe on and let it sit a couple of minutes then sand and don't clean up the sawdust until just before the highest grit you're going to use. Works for me on bowls. Might not want to try it on the lams though, you'll mess up the contrasting colors. Course it does use up the sandpaper!

Jon Lanier
12-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd fill in the pores. Sanding sealer or shellac (leave dust on after sanding then shellac) then go to a higher grit and sand away. Finish as normal.

Dean Matthews
12-15-2007, 11:24 PM
In my dealing with Padauk I have used the HUT wax sticks. They seem to fill the poors in pretty good and does not seem noticeable.

Dan Forman
12-16-2007, 1:43 AM
After sanding and a wipedown with mineral spirits, I decided to leave well enough alone and just hit it with some wipe on poly, which has stood up well on some saw handles I made a couple of years ago. I dare say it looks pretty good, will post a pic when it's ready for prime time. I'll do some experiments using some of the ideas you suggested with some scrap for next time.

Dan