PDA

View Full Version : Any shop-made flocking ideas to line a small box?

jonathan snyder
12-15-2007, 9:12 PM
Hi folks,

Anyone have any ideas for a shop-made flocking to line a small ring presentation box?

No time to order a flocking kit, and the local woodworking store does not carry them.

I don't want to deal with trying to cut felt to fit unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks
Jonathan

Jim Becker
12-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Pick up some felt from the local sewing material shop and some spray glue from an arts and craft supply or the borg. "Flocking" is kinda specialized stuff...I doubt you could make anything acceptable in look at home. (But I could be proven wrong by someone else...)

Jim O'Dell
12-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Have you tried looking at a craft store? Seems like I've seen flocking material before locally, but I could be wrong. Someplace like a Hobby Lobby, or maybe even one of the larger sewing/fabric outfits. Wish I could remember where I saw it. Good luck. Jim.

Andrew Nemeth
12-15-2007, 11:55 PM
I have had pretty good luck using velvet in the past to line boxes. I wrap it over something (like matboard) and then glue the whole thing in place. When wrapping you don't have to be near as precise and you can try to fit it several times until you get it right before gluing.

As far as flocking itself, hmmm, you might be able to take some velvet and use a razor to scrape some fibers for a small project. A flocking gun could probably rigged from a paper towel tube, an air compressor, several layers of foil, and some duct tape. As for the glue, it should be tinted to match the flocking unless there is very little difference between the color of the flocking and the wood underneath. Whatever glue you use, i have found that if you try to clean the box up with air , or any other means, before the glue is TOTALLY dry the surface will be uneven. All in all, it's going to require a bit of trial and error, but I'm sure it could be done. Might be easier, and cheaper, to send a flocking kit up to Alaska overnight (if you really need it that quick).

Good luck!
-Andrew

jonathan snyder
12-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just went to Michaels, its the only craft store we have. I asked the lady for flocking, she looked like she might slap me, and said "can you repeat that please":rolleyes: They had no flocking, however I did come home with a few options. Not sure how well they will work though. Ever give a pompom a haircut? If I can cut it up fine enough, it might work.

I wonder if a flocking gun is really necessary, or will even work with my pseudo flocking:eek:?

Andrew, what kind of glue do you recommend? I was thinking a thin brushed on coat of epoxy.

Thanks again
Jonathan

Jim O'Dell
12-16-2007, 9:28 AM
I always though you used white glue, maybe deluted a little but not much, the did the Shake-N-Bake routine. Well, no baking but...:D Now note, I've never flocked anything, just remembering something I read one time, so wait for the others that have done this to chime in. What ever you do, test it on some scrap material to see if you like the outcome first. Jim.

Steve Hanson
12-16-2007, 9:31 AM
I recently bought a flocking kit from Donjer.com to use on some bandsaw boxes. The result was flawless and very easy to do. The kit is around $30 and comes with enough to do many small boxes.

Steve

George Bregar
12-16-2007, 9:51 AM
All the jewelry boxes I have made I lined with foam and fabric over either card stock or thin plywood. IMHO it presents much better then flocking. FLocking is just fuzzy wood. For a ring presentation you can "engineer" a slit that holds the ring.

Dave Lehnert
12-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Flocking glue is made the same color IE- Red flock=red glue, Blue flocking=blue blue glue

Dave Lehnert
12-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I have only used a cheap flocking gun. It was nothing more than two cardboard tubs that you would slide back and fourth and the flocking would come out a small hole in the end. If I was making a flocking gun I would try a paper towel tube. Plug one end with something like a plastic butter dish lid or the like. cut to size and tape to the tube. Drill a small hole in the lid. Fill with flocking and blow into the other end and hope it works. Just do not inhale. probably would be better to make a plunger type device with a dowel and a round piece of wood. Much like a pump garden sprayer. Have no idea if it will work or not. Just a thought to get you started.

Andrew Nemeth
12-16-2007, 3:30 PM
The only glue I have used for flocking is the stuff you buy at woodcraft and it is colored to match the fiber color. It goes on pretty thick with a brush. I think you let it stand for a period of time (if I remember right) and then spray the flock into that. As for epoxy... I think the viscosity of the 2 part stuff you buy at the hardware store seams about right... I think you are going to find you need to tint it somehow when you mix it up to get an even finish. I don't know if the dump and tilt method would work but it may be worth a try on a small project. You can certainly improvise a flocking gun from cardboard tubes you either have or could get at the store. The ones you buy are just two tubes that nest inside each other with a cap on one end of each tube. One of the caps has a hole in it about 1/8". if you can find two tubes that nest together pretty well you could use masking tape to make some "bushings" on the inside tube to dial in th fit. You do want the fit to be pretty good because if you don't you will have the flocking spray back at you instead of through the hole when you are using it. It's easy to use, just fill up one of the tubes about 1/2 way (in my experience too much flocking will clog the gun) put the two tubes together and "pump" them back and forth. Air should draw in through the hole in the front while pulling the two tubes apart and flocking and air will be expelled when pushing them back together.

Good luck, keep us posted,
Andrew

Gary Keedwell
12-16-2007, 4:14 PM
I made a box for me straight edge and I used the Flocking kit for the first time. It came out real good. As stated above you match the color of the glue with the color of the flock.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_61.gif Gary

Wes Bischel
12-16-2007, 8:58 PM
I had a bandsaw box class recently. (they're fun to make!) Two tips they had on flocking - 1. use latex paint of a similar color. 2. pour a bit of flocking in and tap it around. I tried it and it worked quite well. Naturally I already have the adhesive and little cardboard tube applicator.:rolleyes:
I realize this doesn't help for this round, but maybe in the future.
FWIW,
Wes

Bruce Glazier
12-16-2007, 9:14 PM
I buy flocking at hobby supply shops - particularly model railroad shops. They use it for scenery. I just use any type of yellow glue I have handy. Paint it on fairly thick. Pour in some flocking and shake it around. Done.

jonathan snyder
12-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a working plan. Gold acrylic paint in side the box, a layer of clear epoxy, and gold pseudo flocking. As Bruce G. suggested, I found something used for scenery on model railroads. I tested out the paint, epoxy and the pseudo flocking on some scrap. It looks pretty good.

I still need to shellac the box and then put the flocking in. and make a ring holder to put inside.

I'll post some pics when its done.

Jonathan

Scott Hubl
12-17-2007, 6:29 AM
How about you just Gold Leaf it inside instead? You can get gold leaf at hobby type stores, and will look much better than gold arcylic paint and no flocking at all.