PDA

View Full Version : Protect America alarm company

Craig D Peltier
12-15-2007, 8:07 PM
Has anyone dealt with them? Dont, just search there name and you will see a ton of complaints. I made the mistake of ordering a system from them.
1) Its cheaply made
2) Its like a boiler room type sale. People cheering in the background when they close a sale and pushing you to buy more or one time deal only.
3) There MO is try an return it, they say they didnt get it. They will cancel your service. Then charge you for first and last months service (even though you didint hook it up). They will also charge you a steep restockong fee.
4) They will call you every day 5 times to hook it up starting early in day.

They calim there the number three company under Brinks and ADT. They offer wireless internet monitoring thats why I was interested. We only use cells here. I found through my Bank of America website.
Watch out there very slimy.

Pat Germain
12-15-2007, 9:21 PM
Thanks for the warning, Craig. I'm sorry to hear you got taken. It can happen to anyone. There is no end to the elaborate lengths to which such scams will go these days.

I've always been suspicious of alarm companies. Their TV commercials show some professional-looking, middle-aged guy monitoring the phones. I imagine it's actually Beavis & Butthead sharing an i-Pod and rocking their heads to Metallica while the phones go unanswered or some guy in Bangalore who knows very little English.

Also, every home alarm system I've ever seen is just one false alarm after another. I expect the high-end systems are worthwhile, but likely very expensive. After all, rich people need actual protection and can afford to pay for it.

Matt Meiser
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
I found through my Bank of America website.

There's your first mistake. :rolleyes:

Our bank recently got bought by Bank of America. We'll be switching to someone new soon.

On alarms, if you want something worthwhile, go with a real, local pro company, or if you want to self-install pro-grade equipment, I highly recommend http://www.lufkinsecurity.com. We went with equipment and monitoring through them, which is very reasonable. The install wasn't hard execpt running all the wiring. However they do have the wireless equipment as well. I just chose to hardwire since we have a ranch and therefore relatively easy access to everything from above or below.

David G Baker
12-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Contact your State Attorney General's Office and the local Better Business Bureau.

glenn bradley
12-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I've had them for a couple years in SoCal and been very satisfied. One of their monitoring centers is nearby so if they ever do give me grief, I know where to find them. I've tested them 2 or 3 times each year by purposely setting the alarm off and they have always followed protocol.

All that being said, the local Home Depot I shopped at when I lived in Folsom, CA was great. Both my locals here in SoCal stink. It is too bad that a brand or company name no longer (even generally) insures a level of quality or product. Sorry you had a bad experience and I would let the BBB and anyone else who'll listen know about it. Our best defense as consumers is to talk with our choice of where to do business (read money). ;-)

Craig D Peltier
12-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I've had them for a couple years in SoCal and been very satisfied. One of their monitoring centers is nearby so if they ever do give me grief, I know where to find them. I've tested them 2 or 3 times each year by purposely setting the alarm off and they have always followed protocol.

All that being said, the local Home Depot I shopped at when I lived in Folsom, CA was great. Both my locals here in SoCal stink. It is too bad that a brand or company name no longer (even generally) insures a level of quality or product. Sorry you had a bad experience and I would let the BBB and anyone else who'll listen know about it. Our best defense as consumers is to talk with our choice of where to do business (read money). ;-)

One of there most talked about policys is you have to notify them in writing 60 days or more prior to you contract running out unless they will extend it for a year. They also state that you must have proof that they got it. Alot of folks had trouble with cancelling, they just kept biliing. I returned there product witha signature required which I got a receipt of it back in the mail. I hope that helps.
I didnt hear any real complaints about the monitoring its just flimsy product and bad business practices.

David G Baker
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Glenn,
Have you been to Folsom recently? I was there early last year, didn't recognize the place, it has changed so much. Couldn't go over Folsom Dam because of the terrorist threat, couldn't tour the Folsom Prison gift shop because it was closed permanently due to drugs being smuggled in to the inmates through the shop. One high point, I have been back to Michigan for going on 7 years and have yet to see a live deer with antlers. Stopped at Folsom Prison and saw several deer running around with serious pairs of antlers.
Getting back on topic, Bay Alarm in the San Francisco Bay area seemed to be a pretty good company.