PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly BS: G0457 or G0513X2

Dave Cav
12-15-2007, 7:14 PM
Hi, folks,
This is only my second post, and the first on this forum. I just posted an intro over on the Neanderthal forum.

My nasty old 14" imported bandsaw just died. I had it for 20 years and have had to make a number of repairs to it (lots of pot metal castings) and the arm that controls the tracking angle just snapped in two, finally giving me a good excuse to buy a new saw. I have narrowed the choice down to the 14" Grizzly G0457 or the 17" Grizzly G0513X2. The 14" saw received a very good writeup in FWW a few months ago and was my first choice, but the G0513X2 looks like a good deal too, especially considering it's only $125 more. It also seems very popular on this forum. (FWIW I would be driving up to Bellingham to pick it up.) Both saws are 2 HP, and both have cast iron wheels. The 17" saw has cast iron trunnions, while the 14" saw write up doesn't mention the trunnions at all. Both seem like very solid tools.

I have a number of other Grizzly tools, including a 10" cabinet saw, a 12" engine lathe and a vertical mill (making metal chips is another of my hobbies) and I have no qualms about buying from them; all of my dealings with them have been positive.

On the premise that bigger is usually always better, at least as far as stationary power tools are concerned, I'm now leaning toward the 17" saw, but I would be interested in hearing any feedback on both of the saws.

thanks
Dave C

Dennis Kelly
12-15-2007, 7:44 PM
Hello Dave,
I found the 17" G0513 on Craigs List this summer and got a great deal. Now that I have it, I would have spent twice the amount to have this saw. Just my opinion, but you shouldn't even think twice about this saw. Not to mention, if you buy a 14" bandsaw, you will end up buying a riser kit or having to upgrade at some point.
Go for the G0513!

Dennis

Justin Bukoski
12-15-2007, 7:49 PM
get the 513. Its a really great saw for the money. I would say its 90% as good as saws that are 3 times the cost.

Jim Becker
12-15-2007, 8:45 PM
Get the heavier, more powerful and more cost effective over time 17" machine. You'll have a lot more "can dos" with it as you work on your projects over the years.

And welcome to SMC!

Lance Norris
12-16-2007, 12:17 AM
I have the G0457 because I needed a smaller, lighter saw. It has done everything I ask of it, including resawing at capacity. I know most everyone will tell you to get the bigger saw, but I feel you will be happy with either. Mine was made fairly early in the series and had aluminum trunnions. Grizzly sent me free cast iron replacement trunnions a while back because they have made a change to cast trunnions on the newer 457s(great customer service). I love this saw and dont feel the need for a larger saw for any reason. Since I mostly resaw small pieces for boxes and do hobby work, this saw has been great for me. If you have the room though, bigger is almost always better.

John Browne
12-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Made that trip myself a couple of months ago (from Duvall, not Snohomish) and picked up a 0513. Was on sale and couldn't pass it up. It's a fine saw. The one you're looking at addresses all the issues that I wish the 513 had (CI instead of stamped steel or aluminum, BB blade guides). The TW 1/2 blade they sell is excellent, BTW, cuts better than the TW 1".

If you want, come down here and try out my 0513--your's will be just like but better!

John

glenn bradley
12-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I have the G0513X and love it. There are deals currently as the G0513X2 is taking its place. The only difference is cast iron trunnions which seems to have been a response to various reviews stating that the steel one 'should' have been cast iron. I have had no issues with the steel ones and mine does have ball bearing guides. Extremely happy with the saw.

Brian Kent
12-17-2007, 12:51 AM
They are out of the G0513X. The G0513 is $750 until the end of the month if you go through Wood magazine's ad. Problem is aluminum wheels and trunions and a weaker fence than the G0513X2 at $950.

Greg Cole
12-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Happy former owner of a G0513 and now G0513X2. Both are good saws and you will not regret the 17" machine.
FWIW, the Euro style body saw will not accept a riser block.

Greg

Dave Cav
12-18-2007, 1:35 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll be heading down on Friday afternoon to pick up a G0513X2 assuming they are in stock, and a few TW blades, probably a 3/8 and 1/2 to start, maybe a 3/4.

John, thanks for the offer. Since we are practically neighbors maybe we can get together and swap stories some time.