PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Board (PICS)

Mike Conley
12-15-2007, 6:13 PM
Here is a cutting board I made for a Christmas present.

The woods are maple, cherry, walnut, purple heart. The strip going across the board is purple heart. It doesn't show up very well in the pictures.

Dennis Kelly
12-15-2007, 7:51 PM
Great job Mike,
I just finished an order of 25 cutting boards for the holidays this afternoon.
I think it's great how everyone puts their own design and influence into their boards. I know alot of Creekers make cutting boards during the holidays, it's one of the "easier" projects, but nonetheless satisfying and impressive to see boards that look as good as yours.

Dennis

Ron Jones near Indy
12-15-2007, 8:16 PM
Very nice looking cutting board Mike. What finish did you use? Did you use anything other than glue at the purple heart stripe?

Bob Cooper
12-15-2007, 9:00 PM
just curious...how far through the board does the purpleheart go? did you just route a dado across the board and put it in last?

Mike Conley
12-15-2007, 9:30 PM
Very nice looking cutting board Mike. What finish did you use? Did you use anything other than glue at the purple heart stripe?

I used mineral oil and parafin wax.

I did not use anything other than glue at the purple heart stripe.

The purple heart goes all the way through.

Mike Conley
12-18-2007, 7:02 PM
Here is another design. This one uses maple, cherry, walnut, paduak, and purple heart.

Joe Close
12-24-2007, 8:38 PM
Those are really really nice boards. Question..., I was stumbing around this site a couple of days ago and came across a "how to" kind of thread on building a cutting board like the ones you show here. Now I can not find the thread. Mike, are you the one that made the how-to thread? Does anyone have the link?

George Bregar
12-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Beautiful boards, but isn't there an issue with the cross grain purple heart?

Gary Keedwell
12-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Beautiful boards, but isn't there an issue with the cross grain purple heart?
George...I made one a few weeks ago from purleheart and maple and had no issues at all. I did hear that a few people had trouble sending it through their planer.:o

Gary

George Bregar
12-25-2007, 11:10 AM
George...I made one a few weeks ago from purleheart and maple and had no issues at all. I did hear that a few people had trouble sending it through their planer.:o

Gary No, I mean the board is going to move...that cross grain glue up will be an issue. :confused:

Jim Becker
12-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Nice work, Mike!

gary Zimmel
12-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Mike

Beautiful looking cutting board. It's going to make someone very happy.

Gary Keedwell
12-25-2007, 12:07 PM
No, I mean the board is going to move...that cross grain glue up will be an issue. :confused:
Nope...no issue at all, George.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_61.gif Gary

George Bregar
12-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Nope...no issue at all, George.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_61.gif Gary How can it not be? You have a wide glued up board with a piece of PH glued cross grain. The boars will expand across its width...but the purpleheart will not.

Merry Christmas also! I 'm making toffee. :D

Gary Keedwell
12-25-2007, 2:20 PM
How can it not be? You have a wide glued up board with a piece of PH glued cross grain. The boars will expand across its width...but the purpleheart will not.

Merry Christmas also! I 'm making toffee. :D
George ...Your right. I was just thinking about my boards and not the OP. The same thought went into my dense head when I saw his cutting board, too.
Gary

George Bregar
12-25-2007, 2:25 PM
George ...Your right. I was just thinking about my boards and not the OP. The same thought went into my dense head when I saw his cutting board, too.
Gary Maybe we both be cwazy! ;)