PDA

View Full Version : Gas up 25 cents/gal. yesterday.

Joe Tonich
02-20-2004, 5:22 PM
Heard gas prices were supposed to go up to 'bout $3 a gal by summer. At between $1.68 - $1.79 a gal.(regular ) now, sure seems like it. :( Is this price typical of prices around the country? :confused:

Joe

Wolf Kiessling
02-20-2004, 6:23 PM
Heard gas prices were supposed to go up to 'bout $3 a gal by summer. At between $1.68 - $1.79 a gal.(regular ) now, sure seems like it. :( Is this price typical of prices around the country? :confused:

Joe

I read in yesterday's paper that Oklahoma had the lowest gas prices in the country. If that's true, then you ain't doing bad cause ours is only about a dime less than what you quoted.

What I can't figure out, if we were going after Iraq's oil, why isn't gas about a quarter a gallon now? I mean, we won the darn war after all.

Steve Clardy
02-20-2004, 6:54 PM
$1.54 here in the ozarks. [unleaded] Was $1.49 last week. Steve

Dennis Peacock
02-20-2004, 7:08 PM
$1.57 for regular here.

gonna make grass cutting less affordable if gas goes up an more. Now don't go and get me started on this gas price crap.....here.....47¢ of each gallon is flippin' TAXES.....

Jason Roehl
02-20-2004, 7:09 PM
It's been $1.63ish around here for a couple weeks, but I just saw a few stations go up to $1.76. Ick.

Dean Baumgartner
02-20-2004, 7:25 PM
It's been holding at about $1.68 here for the last month or so. It's the LP that's up about $.50 to $1.42/gal since fall that's hitting me hard with all the cold weather we've had lately.

Pat Salter
02-22-2004, 5:46 PM
here in So. California, it was 1.89 about a week ago, now it's 2.07. But this is beatiful so. ca., oh wait, it's raining :(

Jim DeLaney
02-22-2004, 7:30 PM

Joe

No, it's cheap! I paid $2.05 for Regular yesterday - a $35.00 fill-up for a Toyota!!!

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2004, 8:49 AM
here it's 1.83 mid grade I heard it's suppose to go up to close to 3.00 a gal this summer,,,,,,

Greg Heppeard
02-23-2004, 9:01 AM
Anybody wanna buy a pick up that gets about 12 mpg? I'm starting to think more seriously about that Harley I've been eyeing

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 10:28 AM
It's been holding at about $1.68 here for the last month or so. It's the LP that's up about $.50 to $1.42/gal since fall that's hitting me hard with all the cold weather we've had lately.

I'm with Dean on this one! Like what, we have a choice in heating/not heating our homes?! :mad: The gas hovers between 1.65>1.73 around here, but on that one, I hate to say it, but it's partially our own country's fault. I travel close to 50 miles each way to work. The number of BIG SUV's, full-size pickups and those with humongo crew cabs is completely astounding. No, they don't have a ton of construction equipment in the bed and there's usually only a single person sitting in them! A LOT of them have UW or other private parking stickers or tags on them, which clearly tells me these folks aren't going to construction sites, but just their regular 8-5's. Yeah, there are tons more reasons, I'm sure, but that's one thing that's really bugged me for a long time. OK, stepping down off the soap box. :cool:

Steve Sheffield
02-23-2004, 11:58 AM

Joe

Not far from that $3.00 mark.
$2.27 for regular in san Francisco today.

Roger Fitzsimonds
02-23-2004, 2:57 PM
For regular unleaded it was 1>54 this weekend. But as I understand it Georgia doesnt have a high add on tax. but still it is getting crazy with the prices.

Roger

Ian Barley
02-23-2004, 5:41 PM
$1.57 for regular here.

gonna make grass cutting less affordable if gas goes up an more. Now don't go and get me started on this gas price crap.....here.....47¢ of each gallon is flippin' TAXES.....

OK - stand back. We pay just over about £4 per gallon. Thats about $7.50ish. about 85% of that is tax.

Filling up my van with diesel costs about £50 - thats about $90-95.

Jason Roehl
02-23-2004, 6:55 PM
Anybody wanna buy a pick up that gets about 12 mpg? I'm starting to think more seriously about that Harley I've been eyeing

SURE!! (Since I just bought a work truck that get 10mpg...I'm looking into swapping out the rear end from a 4.10 to a 3.55).

Now, if I could just figure out a way to put a ladder rack on a Harley, I'd be right with you.... :D :cool:

Jason Roehl
02-23-2004, 6:57 PM
I'm with Dean on this one! Like what, we have a choice in heating/not heating our homes?! :mad: The gas hovers between 1.65>1.73 around here, but on that one, I hate to say it, but it's partially our own country's fault. I travel close to 50 miles each way to work. The number of BIG SUV's, full-size pickups and those with humongo crew cabs is completely astounding. No, they don't have a ton of construction equipment in the bed and there's usually only a single person sitting in them! A LOT of them have UW or other private parking stickers or tags on them, which clearly tells me these folks aren't going to construction sites, but just their regular 8-5's. Yeah, there are tons more reasons, I'm sure, but that's one thing that's really bugged me for a long time. OK, stepping down off the soap box. :cool:

Don't forget the fact that folks driving full-size SUV's raise the demand (thus the price, also) on vehicles with heavy frames, driving up the price of work trucks for those of us who actually use their full capacity once in a while.

Jason Roehl
02-23-2004, 7:00 PM
OK - stand back. We pay just over about £4 per gallon. Thats about $7.50ish. about 85% of that is tax.

Gee, Ian, with my trucks gas tank and your prices, a fill-up would run me about £140, or $250 or so....every 2 weeks...yikes.

Of course, we do benefit a great deal from economies of scale, which is a major contributor to the lower price (I won't go into the other reasons why we pay less for gas, politics is not allowed here).

John Miliunas
02-23-2004, 7:30 PM
Don't forget the fact that folks driving full-size SUV's raise the demand (thus the price, also) on vehicles with heavy frames, driving up the price of work trucks for those of us who actually use their full capacity once in a while.

Couldn't agree more, Jason! Even the amount of "yuppies" (or whatever they're called now) driving those full-size trucks, because they think it's "cool". I'll bet the bulk of them haven't had much more than their weekly groceries and a set of golf clubs in them! Then there are the beefed up SUV's and/or PU's, all geared and ready to go for off-roading. OK, I guess the country club isn't on the road, per se! Many of those see the detail shop more than guys with their their Vette's and Beemers! And heck, the 85 'Vette I used to have got just under 27 mpg, and I wasn't exactly keeping an egg under the long pedal on the right, either! Grrrrr.....Society has lost sight of "practicality" in favor of being ostentatious. (Ah, 'scuse me while I get back down off that soap box again!) :cool:

Richard Gillespie
02-24-2004, 2:20 PM
SURE!! (Since I just bought a work truck that get 10mpg...I'm looking into swapping out the rear end from a 4.10 to a 3.55).

Now, if I could just figure out a way to put a ladder rack on a Harley, I'd be right with you.... :D :cool:
Get yourself one of those little trailers and attach the ladder to that. Just make sure it's attached well in case you have to stop quick!

Chris Padilla
02-24-2004, 2:50 PM
Not far from that $3.00 mark.
$2.27 for regular in san Francisco today.

The Bay Area...most expensive gas anywhere in the US! :(

$2.25 in South San Jose for premium (91 Octane)...which is what my BMW requires! :D

However, folks are in town and so they get the bimmer this week and the LOML and I are driving my little '90 Toyota Pick-Up. I can put 87 (lowest Octane available here) in for $1.90!! :eek:

BMW is 21/30 and Toyota is 24/27 mpg.

Sigh....

Richard McComas
02-24-2004, 3:00 PM

Joe

If you go the the discount places in Anchorage and Eagle River Alaska you can get regular for 1.59-9

Joe Tonich
02-24-2004, 5:00 PM
Get yourself one of those little trailers and attach the ladder to that. Just make sure it's attached well in case you have to stop quick!

WOW!! Know whats funny about that idea? Last summer I saw a Goldwing towing a small boat behind it. :eek: Thank goodness someone was in the car with me and saw it or no-one would have believed me! I guess it could be done if you can set up electric brakes on it.

Joe

Joe Tonich
02-24-2004, 5:08 PM
Back down to $1.54 yesterday. I still can't figure out how they go about pricing the stuff. How can you say the price went up when you already payed for the fuel thats in the storage tanks and you know that it's still in there when the prices go back down 3 days later, if that makes any sense? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Joe

Jason Roehl
02-24-2004, 7:00 PM

Well, I'd have to get more than the trailer....I'd need to get the bike, too. With young kids around, and a desire for wwing tools, a bike just hasn't been in the budget for several years now....I miss those days....sigh...

Jeff Cybulski
02-24-2004, 8:54 PM
In Tulsa it's $1.48. According to the local paper we're supposed to have the lowest prices in the nation.

John Miliunas
02-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, I'd have to get more than the trailer....I'd need to get the bike, too. With young kids around, and a desire for wwing tools, a bike just hasn't been in the budget for several years now....I miss those days....sigh...

Ha, ha...Funny you should put it that way, Jason. When we moved, my future BIL had just gotten another HD. I says to LOML, "Hmmm...I'd really like to get one of those." She said fine, but then no WW tools. The rest is history... :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
02-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Back down to $1.54 yesterday. I still can't figure out how they go about pricing the stuff. How can you say the price went up when you already payed for the fuel thats in the storage tanks and you know that it's still in there when the prices go back down 3 days later, if that makes any sense? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Joe

I know a couple of the local gas station owners fairly well and what they claim is that they raise the price to cover what they will have to pay when they refill their storage tanks. Of course on the other end when the wholesale price goes down to the dealer the price stays up until what's in the tanks is gone. That said however they only make $.06 per gallon or so on the average which is a lot lower markup than most other retailers.

Dean

Thomas Rudolph
03-20-2005, 5:29 PM
Gas prices today are $2.11 for regular and$2.31 for premium!!....with no end in sight.

Jerry Clark
03-20-2005, 5:37 PM
It is around $2.35 in LA-Orange County and one place was $3.05 (Per TV) I was in Alaska in 1999 and the barrel price was really down-- If it dropped below $7 they was going to stop pumping the pipeline as it was not cost effective. Gas was still $1.50. Go figure?? :rolleyes:

Bob Weisner
03-20-2005, 5:49 PM
There are some places in Alaska that have to get their fuel brought in on a barge. That brings the cost of a gallon of gas up to almost $8.00 a gallon. :eek:

Bob

Scott Parks
03-20-2005, 6:29 PM
$2.60 for Diesel in N. Idaho! Try $78 to fill the tank!:eek:

Christopher Pine
03-20-2005, 6:30 PM
its all ridiculous.. yeah yeah some countires pay this and that... the stock of gasoline and oil is at its highest all year and prices are going up.. kinda throws out the supply and demand argument...
WE are paying at the discount gas stations $2.01 and up.. premium 2.24 and up... I guess this is my generations turn to get hammered by the oil prices... arghhh. I remember the late seventies when it was doubling in price to 90+ cents... lol... oh the good old days..

Chris

Tim Morton
03-20-2005, 6:49 PM
We pay $2.10 here in vermont for regular, today its about as high as its ever been. My wife took a new job and she will be comuting 90 miles per day. She is looking at a Hybrid Escape...but it still doesn't seem to make sense to by a Hybrid. Too many stories of the MPG ratings being grossly over stated still. I drive my Tundra to work, but I go through the woods so as not to draw John's Ire :D

Dar Lounsbury
03-20-2005, 7:11 PM
Seattle area has $2.27 for regular, $2.57 for premium and $2.78 for diesel.

I like the prices most of you are paying.

RichMagnone
03-20-2005, 7:43 PM
Off heand, it really is not SUVs that are causing the current problem. In fact, it is more directly linked to the increased demand from a combination of (1) emerging nations (China) (2) a new market risk known as "terrorism", (3) the situation in Iraq, (4) the devaluation of the US Dollar as compared with the rest of the world currencies (5) clean air regulations (very much responsible for about .25 cents of the price of gas in Chicago and Wisconsin) (6) OPEC limiting production (7) failure to invest in real energy alternatives (8) failure to drill american oil (very much linked to the US dollar problem) and way down at the end of the line is (9) SUV gas consumption versus cars, etc. In fact, if you take a look at the so called "green" cars that are gas and electric, these cars are no more "efficient" in buring gas than any other car. What they do is use a battery, powered by the alternator, to run the car's "systems" while sitting at rest, etc. As for our driving patterns, we might all be well served to car pool - consider in that case that some SUVs can carry 6 or 8 people. Then, that lower MPG (which I believe is a bit negligable and is a way that the left and the media play a game of class warfare of haves and have nots) might actually be a better MPG per passenger.

The worst part of the above is the declining dollar. If it costs $50 for a barrel of light sweet crude today and the dollar loses 10% of its value, then it that exact same barrel will cost $55 without the "price of oil" increasing on the exporter's side of the ledger. It is just that the currency the buyer is using is worth less.

By the way, gas by me is 1.98 this weekend. Trouble is brewing in the future of the USA boys.

Jim O'Dell
03-20-2005, 8:56 PM
Seems like it jumps a nickle or more each week. I paid 1.97 yesterday. I got a whopping 13.67 mpg! I'm surprised my 3/4 ton extended cargo van gets better mileage than some of you guys with pickups. The prices are making me a little more concious about keeping the cruise control at 60. Jim.

Jim Becker
03-20-2005, 9:17 PM
About two bucks for regular here, depending on where you "shop"...about 15-18 cents less in NJ which I always try to take advantage of when I can!! I'm glad I don't drive a lot for business anymore (only have 43K miles on my Tundra over four and a half years...) and that Dr. SWMBO drives a Prius hybrid since she does 23 miles one way to her office.

John Daugherty
03-20-2005, 9:27 PM
1.989 here for reg.

David Fried
03-20-2005, 9:28 PM
What they do is use a battery, powered by the alternator, to run the car's "systems" while sitting at rest, etc. .

Not true. My hybrid turns off at rest and often at under 20 mph and that's not the principal that has allowed me to average 52.5 mpg over the first 50,000 miles. I just put in 12 gallons at 2.07. It will probably cost more when I stop for gas 600-650 miles down the road.

David Fried
03-20-2005, 9:29 PM
What they do is use a battery, powered by the alternator, to run the car's "systems" while sitting at rest, etc. .

My hybrid turns off at rest and often at under 20 mph but that's not the mechanism that has allowed me to average 52.5 mpg over the first 50,000 miles.

I just put in 12 gallons at 2.07. It will probably cost more when I stop for gas 600-650 miles down the road.

RichMagnone
03-20-2005, 11:32 PM
I just put in 12 gallons at 2.07. It will probably cost more when I stop for gas 600-650 miles down the road.

Sounds like you are one of the lucky few. Without getting too political, here are a few articles on the topic (discrepancies between real and claimed MPG, how hybrid works, etc.) that I cite as a small reference. I'll leave it at that as my real point is that there are lots more factors driving gas prices than SUVs (and including SUVs).

http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,63413,00.html?tw=wn_story_page_prev2
http://automobiles.allinfoabout.com/column/05-02-13.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/28/eveningnews/consumer/main620265.shtml
http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15259
http://www.carlist.com/newcars/2005/ncr_312.html
http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=18112

Chad Pater
03-21-2005, 5:28 AM
It's been 2.01 here for over ten days

Chad

Tim Morton
03-21-2005, 6:54 AM
The main thing I read about lower than advertised MPG in hybrids, including jim's Prius...is that when the A/c is on high, or the defroster is on at all, then that wil lock out the "hybrid" part and force the car to use only gas. It has to do with the engine doing the heating and cooling of the fluids needed in those operations. We in vermont use our defrosters quite a bit in the winter and our A/C in the summer.

David Fried
03-21-2005, 7:55 AM
The main thing I read about lower than advertised MPG in hybrids, including jim's Prius...is that when the A/c is on high, or the defroster is on at all, then that wil lock out the "hybrid" part and force the car to use only gas.

Tim,

Not true in the Honda, can't speak about the Prius. They are designed differently. When the defroster or ac is on, the auto-stop feature is disabled (the defroster uses the ac) but the electric motor still assists the gas engine. When running the ac in the summer I see about a ten percent drop in milage. I see a bigger decrease in the winter when the cold and snow on the road affect the car and the defroster runs continuously.

You can, EASILY, get poorer milage with a hybrid or improve your SUV's milage. Seems everyone complains about the price of gas yet there they are blowing by me on the highway. I can get around 60 mpg on the highway at 55 mpg. For every mph over that the mpg goes down one. Acceleration really kills milage. If I don't use the cruise control my milage goes down. If I make extra stops it goes down. All those things they have been telling us for years, combine trips, slow down, do as much for milage/consumption as the technology. One of the biggest factors is tire pressure. The car uses LRR (low rolling resistance) tires. If a tire is low your milage can drop ten percent or more. What would happen if you put those tires on a regular car?

At the time I bought mine I was driving 50,000 miles a year, all highway. A hybrid and Honda's design made sense for me. If you drive less, the extra cost of the car can easily offset any fuel savings. :eek:

What really concerns me is what happens if they start selling millions of these? What happens to the millions of big, fancy batteries when they die someday? :confused:

I have a friend who had a Honda civic and bought the civic hybrid. He drives in Boston with a ski rack on the car! He typically gets about 38 mpg with the hybrid. This is about ten percent more than his old conventional civic got under the same conditions. I expect this is a fair, realistic comparison. He might well do better with the Toyota which was designed for Tokyo traffic but so much has to do with the driving you do and how you drive.

Dave

David Fried
03-21-2005, 8:07 AM
Sounds like you are one of the lucky few.

Rich,

Your right!

I bought the right car for the long highway commute I had at the time. At the same time I read about people cruising at 75+ mph wondering why their milage is poor!

These cars are a collection of tweaks: special tires, zero weight oil, cylinders that turn off, computers, streamlining, battery/electric motor, etc. If any of these systems isn't 100% your milage suffers!

It still seems strange to be in fifth gear with the cruise control at 40 mph. I may never get used to the car turning off at red lights!!

Dave

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 9:40 AM
We have the older version of the Prius...a 2002. Actual mileage varies due to outside temperature, but that's also assuming you are just watching the electronic information. One reason for the apparent "variance" is the fact that the fuel system is a pressurized bladder that expands and contracts not only because of the volume of the contents but because that volume changes with temperature. There is an adjustment that the dealer can do to get it closer to real, but it will never be accurate. The only way to really monitor your mileage is to do manual calculations each time you fill up.

The real problem with the mileage estimates on the sticker is the way they are determined...even the car manufacturers say the method is flawed, but they are required to post those numbers as the dynometer testing dicated by the government supposedly "evens the field".

That said, our mileage (mixed driving conditions) in summer is 49-52 mpg, depending if the A/C is running. Winter is 38-42 MPG, depending on how much the defroster needs to run. Dr. SWMBO's fuel costs have been cut in half, even during the colder months.

One other interesting thing about both the Toyota and Honda hybrids is the use of a continuously variable ratio transmission system. There are no "gear changes"...the transmission system adjusts the ratio to provide the best torque and performance based on what you are doing with your right foot, the speed you are going and other "immediate" conditions. Just as the engine shutting off all by itself takes some getting used to...so does the transmission! But it works well and when you stomp on the "gas"...the thing moves. (Our Prius can also turn on a dime, almost literally....I've never driven a vehicle with such a small turning radius...wonderful in parking lots and other tight spaces)

I would buy another hybrid in a second. Very pleased.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 9:45 AM
The main thing I read about lower than advertised MPG in hybrids, including jim's Prius...is that when the A/c is on high, or the defroster is on at all, then that wil lock out the "hybrid" part and force the car to use only gas. Not true in the Prius, either. The electric system still works, but it is true that the gasoline engine tends to run most, if not all the time when the compressor is actually functioning. That does decrease mileage since the gas engine doesn't shut off at low speeds or when stopped. But there is no "lock out"...the electric system still delivers the horsepower it's designed to give.

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 9:52 AM
I have a friend who had a Honda civic and bought the civic hybrid. He drives in Boston with a ski rack on the car! He typically gets about 38 mpg with the hybrid. This is about ten percent more than his old conventional civic got under the same conditions. I expect this is a fair, realistic comparison. He might well do better with the Toyota which was designed for Tokyo traffic but so much has to do with the driving you do and how you drive.
In general, Hybrids such as the Prius and Hondas are more efficient in City driving than on the highway. Interestingly, the Honda and Toyota designs are slightly different in one particular respect...Honda favors the gas engine and uses the electric for boost; Toyota favors the electric system, at least and especially in the newer version of the Prius and uses the gas engine only when it must under 30 mph. Honda really takes advantage of that in the new Accord hybrid where that model actually has more aggregate horse power than the regular version, but with signficantly better mileage. GM is doing something similar to Honda in that respect from what I understand.

Bob Weisner
03-21-2005, 10:04 AM
I have seen some cars and trucks that run on natural gas. It would be alot cheaper to fill up a natural gas powered car or truck at home than to use regular gas when you consider that gas is $2.25 a gallon and going up. The only downside is that engines that run on natural gas have less horsepower compaired to a gasoline engine. That could be fixed by installing a bigger engine in the vehicle.

Bob

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2005, 11:00 AM
I have seen some cars and trucks that run on natural gas. It would be alot cheaper to fill up a natural gas powered car or truck at home than to use regular gas when you consider that gas is $2.25 a gallon and going up. The only downside is that engines that run on natural gas have less horsepower compaired to a gasoline engine. That could be fixed by installing a bigger engine in the vehicle.

Bob

I hear ya Bob....But also look at what diesel powered cars and trucks did to the pump price of diesel fuel....once it's popular and in higher demand...bang...the price goes up...around here diesel is more that premium grade gas....over $2.17 per gallon. If more and more folks went with NG for running their vehicles? We wouldn't be able to afford to heat our homes with it in about 2 years time. Just remember....it's the petroleum oil companies that run the world....not us.

Looking for a way to install a wood heater in my house before next winter in Conway, AR.....

David Fried
03-21-2005, 11:44 AM
One other interesting thing about both the Toyota and Honda hybrids is the use of a continuously variable ratio transmission system. There are no "gear changes"...

I would buy another hybrid in a second. Very pleased.

Jim,

I went with the 5-speed manual because the milage is better and I wanted my daughter to learn to drive on a stick and not on the one in my truck!

My son will be starting to drive in five years, the same time my car is paid off, so I figure I'll just pass it down.

Dave

Steve Knowlton
03-21-2005, 12:03 PM
I Just Paid $2.19 For Reg Unleaded. We Have Not Seen Gas Under $2 For A Very Long Time. Glad I Have Gas And Not Diesel. It Is $2.75gal. Our Feul Bill At Work Is Always Going Up So We Have To Do A Feul Surcharge.

Bob Weisner
03-21-2005, 12:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/coyotehunter_1932/vsmleutza2.jpg

Bruce Page
03-21-2005, 12:59 PM
I just filled up yesterday (Sunday) Costco was $2.00 per. There should be a lot of RV's coming up for sale.

James Mahoney
03-21-2005, 1:00 PM
In the wonderful U.S. of Hawaii,Oahu, a Wopping 2.44 for Reg. the news papers say. My home town Kahuku, 2.39 the last time I looked. A year ago it was 2.02, On Maui it is 2.73.In Hawaii everything is expensive,so we just deal with, I work two jobs and just keep moving along with Life.:D seeya! :rolleyes:

Bob Weisner
03-21-2005, 1:24 PM
What is the price of hardwood lumber in Hawaii?

Thanks,

Bob

Frank Pellow
03-21-2005, 3:07 PM
We in the USA and in Canada are getting gasoline for far less than we should. I wish that we ALL had to pay prices like those quaoted by Ian.

Perhaps that would encourage us to stop being the most wasteful people on earth :mad: and start to conserve our dwindling natural resources.

David Fried
03-21-2005, 3:16 PM
Perhaps that would encourage us to stop being the most wasteful people on earth :mad: and start to conserve our dwindling natural resources.

I agree with you. Neither of us is likely to get elected!

Jim Becker
03-21-2005, 3:17 PM
I went with the 5-speed manual because the milage is better and I wanted my daughter to learn to drive on a stick and not on the one in my truck!
Interesting. I was unaware they offered the hybrid with a stick. But we only briefly looked at the Honda back in 2002 before opting for the Prius. (Found one "immediately available" which circumvented the pretty much universal 6 month wait for both the T and the H at the time)

Pete Lamberty
03-21-2005, 3:27 PM
I'm paying $2.30 in the Chicago burbs.

JayStPeter
03-21-2005, 3:48 PM
Ha, ha...Funny you should put it that way, Jason. When we moved, my future BIL had just gotten another HD. I says to LOML, "Hmmm...I'd really like to get one of those." She said fine, but then no WW tools. The rest is history... :cool:

Sounds like a HD ad. "Yep, it was either that, or the dinette set. I chose the dinette set" :D

My (non Harley) MC usually gets around 40+ MPG. But, it depends on how I ride. When I took it to the track, I got around 15 MPG. Yep, 7-8 laps of Summit Point raceway per gallon :eek: . Harleys are somewhat less fuel efficient (though probably impossible to get 15 out of).
I have heard that some of the Honda scooters push toward 70 MPG though. Hey, it's either that or the dinette set ;)

Jay

RichMagnone
03-21-2005, 4:28 PM
In the wonderful U.S. of Hawaii,Oahu, a Wopping 2.44 for Reg. the news papers say. My home town Kahuku, 2.39 the last time I looked. A year ago it was 2.02, On Maui it is 2.73.In Hawaii everything is expensive,so we just deal with, I work two jobs and just keep moving along with Life.:D seeya! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it's 40 degrees here in Chicago too!!

Michael Perata
03-21-2005, 5:25 PM
Maybe we could improve the price of gas if we were to write our congresspeople and tell them to stop putting oil at $56-60/barrel into the salt domes in Louisiana. There's nothing like buying into a demand cycle to keep those prices up.

Just a thougth!

Jim O'Dell
03-21-2005, 5:58 PM
Well, my buck 97/gal Friday is 2.05 today. Same station!! Jim.

David Fried
03-21-2005, 9:04 PM
(Found one "immediately available" which circumvented the pretty much universal 6 month wait for both the T and the H at the time)

My Volvo wagon had one foot in the grave. I needed to trade it in quick. Nary a Prius to be found (the 2004 models had just come out) but you could drive away in a Honda. I considered a diesel. I saw diesel at 2.46 today. Glad I didn't do that! Volvo had a bi-fuel model (ng/gasoline) but none available. Wish they did that in hybrid!

John Miliunas
03-21-2005, 9:43 PM
We in the USA and in Canada are getting gasoline for far less than we should. I wish that we ALL had to pay prices like those quaoted by Ian.

I tend to agree about the wasteful part, but that thing about raising the prices to $7.00+ or more a gal would put me and my family out on the street. That's the plain and simple truth. Somehow, that doesn't sit very well with me as a solution. :( And, FWIW, I drive a small, 4cyl. Subaru, but I do have just under 50 miles each way to work and back. We also only have LP (or electric) available out here for heating, and LP prices directly coincide with gas prices.:( I guess if I didn't *have* to travel back and forth to work daily, it may be a bit easier to get along with higher prices.

But, that long ride does indeed prove out your point of "wasteful". My goodness....The majority of vehicles going in and out of town are large pickups, SUV's and Suburban-type vehicles. And yeah, you guessed it: An easy guesstimate would be that 98% of them have only a driver, no passenger(s) and rarely any cargo! The bulk of them are 4x4. :( The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs. Don't know...Maybe they can afford to throw money away like that, but it's really hurting the rest of us, often struggling to make ends meet. Anyhow, I'd love to curtail the waste, but the pricing proposal would simply hurt those who need the fuel the most, IMHO. OK, stepping down off the soapbox.:) :cool:

Christopher Pine
03-21-2005, 10:21 PM
WHile i agree with many comments about Americans and Canadians being wastefull... true we are but the gasoline prices are not going up because of lack of supply! There are many factors but mostly it is for profit of the oil companies and all of the entities inbetween and at the top. The supplies have been going up in this part of the world the last several months and right about the time the stocks levels are at the highest they have been in months the price goes up! Many reasons! We pay less than we should????? ... I will say this .. we pay lower prices than the rest of the world why???
Because we are selfish? Wasteful? what? I think it is because we process it effectively and in a vollume that allows the lower costs...
With all of that said( I could rant on longer :) )
I remember some 24 years ago and gasoline was $1.24. (was very high at that time) I was 16 and remember it vividly because my first car had just came into my life and I had to buy gas... now 24 years later we are just now going over $2.00 a gallon... I would say that that is a fair increase when you look at it in that time frame of referance....
We are talking about an increase that if kept in perspective is reasoanble.. I don't like it like everyone else, it hurts to part with hard earned money for somthing that does not inprove your life anymore than it did before. Just to maintain what you had you pay more... it hurts...but life is like that somtimes it just is not fair, or fun or whatever it just is.
I think we live in some intersting time for sure we will hopefully see a transition from naturalk fuels to more cleaner,affordable, renewable forms of energy... I sure hope so anyways. I guess time will tell...
I have not heard the $3.00 a gallon by summer from anything other than rummor althought I would not be suprised for thsi rummor.. I know diesel in many areas is allready knocking on that level...
Some articles I read said that the average for gasoline low grade would be 2.15 to 2.25 a gallon at the high and remain above $2 the rest of this year...
I hope that is all the higher it goes but like I said before time will tell and by the way there is not much we can do about it.... :)
Have a nice day. :)

Erin Raasch
03-21-2005, 10:28 PM
But, that long ride does indeed prove out your point of "wasteful". My goodness....The majority of vehicles going in and out of town are large pickups, SUV's and Suburban-type vehicles. And yeah, you guessed it: An easy guesstimate would be that 98% of them have only a driver, no passenger(s) and rarely any cargo! The bulk of them are 4x4. :( The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs.

Don't even get me started :eek: I drive those same roads, so I know exactly what you're referring to. I just don't get it. Last fall, Scott and I travelled to Scotland for a vacation. One of the things that really struck me was the difference in the type of vehicles we saw on the roads and in the parking lots. Nearly all were what we would consider compact cars, and nearly all the vehicles over there have manual transmissions. We did see the occasional van or pick-up, but quite different from my daily commute where nearly every other vehicle is an SUV.

I currently drive a '98 Saturn and get 35 mpg on my commute, which is about half highway and half city driving. With straight highway driving, I get 40 mpg. With the gas prices climbing, I decided my next car would have to do even better than that :D So last month, I ordered a new Prius. Should be here in another 6 months or so . . . I hope the fuel prices hold for awhile yet :p

Ian Barley
03-22-2005, 3:21 AM
Frank - Your a braver man than me!

My earlier post wasn't intended to say "We're harder done by than you" or anything similar. It was just a try to give a different perspective. FWIW I agree with Franks sentiments and think that it is relevant to consider consumption that is relevant to the purpose. My daily driver is a panel van but that is because 80% of my miles are done delivering customers orders. it is a diesel and I get 40-50mpg (UK Gallon) most of the time.

Yes, more people in the UK drive compact type cars but I suspect that this is partly because average journey distance in the UK is smaller. Yes more of us do drive manual transmission which probably also helps with average consumption levels.

As to the supply/demand/price discussion. The supply of fossil based fuels is finite. I don't mean that we have found it all or that it isn't a big finite, but it will be finite simply because there are no more prehistoric forests to fosilize. There is a large body of opinion which says that while demand continues to increase the probability is that (available) supply will decrease. Not sure that I necessarily believe that opinion but even if it isn't correct now one day it will be. If you are the owner of a finite resource and you want to influence the demand for it the most effective way to do so is by pricing. The way I read it that is what is happening.

John Milunas - The bad part is, I sincerely believe that the majority of them are simply status symbols and those particular people will continue to drive, buy and put petrol in them, regardless of the costs. Don't know...Maybe they can afford to throw money away like that, but it's really hurting the rest of us,
John - There is a big debate over here about 4x4 on the school run. In cities the traffic at peak time falls by about 30-40% during school holidays. The argument goes that too many of those cars are large Range Rover type vehicles which are used mainly to haul yard apes to school. The truth is that yeah - even at the prices we pay some people will not think twice about the fuel consumption.

Tom Mullane
03-22-2005, 8:19 AM
Western MD we just hit $2.10 yesterday and no help in site.... thankfully I drive a 1992 F150 with a 6 cyl engine that gets good mileage....
Even though I was really into muscle cars in my youth (had a Dodge Charger with 426 and 3 dueces), I have smartened up a whole lot... why do we need to keep making 400+ HP vehicles to commute to work... My wife drives a Ford Aerostar with a 6 cyl.. gets us where we are going everytime and at the speed limit... would a big V8 do it better, not that I can see...
Got a call from a buddy yesterday.. he was in hog heaven... was on his way to pick up his new car... a fire engine red 400HP GTO... this guy lives 10 miles from his job... and it is not highway driving.. WHY THE HECK does he need a 400HP car... he goes to the Jersey shore a lot in the summer... and I know the traffic is not going to let him wind out that car... and neither are the State Police.. LOL... SO WHY... Midlife Crisis ??.. I told my wife for me Midlife Crisis is going to be a bigger lathe.. LOL.. might go all the way up to 3HP... not that I need it... LOL...

John Miliunas
03-22-2005, 8:47 AM
Got a call from a buddy yesterday.. he was in hog heaven... was on his way to pick up his new car... a fire engine red 400HP GTO... this guy lives 10 miles from his job... and it is not highway driving.. WHY THE HECK does he need a 400HP car... he goes to the Jersey shore a lot in the summer... and I know the traffic is not going to let him wind out that car... and neither are the State Police.. LOL... SO WHY... Midlife Crisis ??.. I told my wife for me Midlife Crisis is going to be a bigger lathe.. LOL.. might go all the way up to 3HP... not that I need it... LOL...
Well, that might be a fun Midlife Crisis medication for your buddy. And, believe it or not, some of those muscle cars don't do bad on the mileage. Quite a few years back, (when gas prices were more reasonable!) I had an 85 Corvette with a 4-speed automatic. (Hey, the wife wanted to drive it, too!:p ) Anyhow, in mixed local/hwy driving, I would get close to 20mpg. On the highway, though, I was getting a steady 27!!! My little Subaru doesn't do a whole lot better than that!:mad:

This whole fuel pricing thing is just getting out of hand, with the only winners are the ones who have been winning the whole time: Oil companies! Yeah, some gas stations also tend to gouge, but that's usually only in little spurts. I doubt they'll be building mansions from that anytime soon!:) One of my biggest problems with this whole thing is, how much of that "supply" part of the equation is really falsified? I remember during the big shortage "crisis" back in the 70's, I was talking to a customer of mine who also happened to fly. Said he'd spoken to another pilot at the airport just that morning who told him he had witnessed one or more oil tank trucks out in the desert dumping its contents in the middle of nowhere. Same guy told him about several oil tankers sitting out in the ocean, just outside the US boundaries! In the meantime, lines were forming at the gas stations! The government mandated that oil companies be restricted to a certain % of profit. No problem. Now, instead of making 10% of $100.00, they were making 14% of $200.00 dollars and giving the front line employees raises to gobble up the odd 4%, netting them 10% of $200.00.:mad: (Figures are just for sake of example, but that's the way they worked it.)

Bottom line, folks, is I sincerely think we're just at the mercy of the Oil Companies, which in turn have the politicians right where they want them and there's little we can do. Sure, let's ALL go and get vehicles, which get 40-50mpg. And that will do what? We've all seen before what that does: The oil co's now say that their sale-able quantity is way down, demand is down and, in order to not "lose" money, they *need* to hike prices. They ALWAYS have an excuse to keep those prices going up!:mad: :cool:

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 10:39 AM
There was a comment this morning on NPR that much of the current price rise is due to investor's comments, rather than to supply situation. They are expecting another 30-40 cents rise before it drops back. One has to wonder "who" is making money here. It's not the stations as their margins are very, very thin...

That all said, even at current prices, we have a pretty good deal when you consider price adjustments for inflation. But I hope that there are changes in policy, investment and technology availablity that moves us more quickly away from depending on fossel fuels so much. Unfortuantely, it's another "chicken and egg" problem...the technology is expensive so people balk at "buying" it, yet in order for the cost to come down, there has to be a market, etc...

Jack C
03-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Last Monday $1.84, Friday $1.92, just got some $2.07. Owner is real friendly, says by the weekend $2.25.

Ken Salisbury
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
The rise in gas prices is actually a Confederate conspiricy to reduce the number of Yankees driving through the South for Summer vacation :D :D

JayStPeter
03-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Western MD we just hit $2.10 yesterday and no help in site.... thankfully I drive a 1992 F150 with a 6 cyl engine that gets good mileage....
Even though I was really into muscle cars in my youth (had a Dodge Charger with 426 and 3 dueces), I have smartened up a whole lot... why do we need to keep making 400+ HP vehicles to commute to work... My wife drives a Ford Aerostar with a 6 cyl.. gets us where we are going everytime and at the speed limit... would a big V8 do it better, not that I can see...

No offense, but in the argument of good gas mileage cars, full size pickups (regardless of engine size) don't rate very well. That GTO probably gets better mileage than your F150 and probably close to the minivan (with reasonable applications of the right foot). I've had a number of full size pickups and IMO there's no such thing as a fuel efficient one. I've also had a few V8 pony cars, and all have gotten much better mileage than my 6-cyl pickups.

IMO, the car companies (in response to consumer demand) have made it difficult to buy decent fuel-efficient vehicles. Usually the small engined version of a car is not available with comfort options. To get the options we wanted on the minivan, the biggest engine was far less expensive than configuring a smaller engine model to have the features. Even then, not everything we wanted was even available. I couldn't even get leather interior in my truck with a 6-cyl. In my truck, with offroad bikes, dirt would just infiltrate the seats if they weren't leather (or vinyl, as most of my old trucks). But, the difference between the 6 and small v8 is minimal anyway. My current truck gets similar mileage to my string of old 6-cyl trucks (15-18 MPG). Full size trucks suck gas regardless of engine. I would never claim that I have reasonably fuel efficient vehicles (even if my truck was a 6). The minivan is only slightly better than an SUV, and probably darn close to the GTO.

If gas prices climb to $3/gal, I'm sure the race will be on to have decent fuel efficient vehicles. I've been predicting a replay of the mid '70s for a while now as the HP wars have intensified and gas mileage wars gone by the wayside. Whaddya think, 30 year cycle?

Jay

Dennis McDonaugh
03-28-2005, 1:09 PM
Some random thoughts on high gas prices.

Gas prices are going up because the oil companies want to make more money. Look at their earnings report for the last quarter or the stock recommendations from all the talking heads on TV and radio. The oil companies say prices are high because crude oil prices are at a record high, but if that's the case, profits should stay the same right? Anybody remember the windfall profit tax from the 70s?

We pay less for gas than any other country, but that's because we don't tax it like other countries. I don't want to give the federal government billions more tax dollars to spend.

Yeah, all the automobile manufacturers are making lots of SUVs and pickup trucks. That's what the consumers want and that's where profits are. Until gas prices get high enough change our driving habits that's the way it'll be.

I'm not necessairly a ecoterrorist just because I drive a large truck. My daily driver is a one ton Dodge which gets about 20 mpg on the highway and 15 around town. I fill up once a month or less because I live close to where I work and shop. A guy I work with drives a Honda which gets well over 30 mpg, but uses four times the gas I do because he drives 75 miles round trip to work every day. Most of the time I'll be in the truck by myself, but I occasionally pull two trailers, a 10K lb travel trailer and a 15K flat bed.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-28-2005, 1:19 PM
its all ridiculous.. yeah yeah some countires pay this and that... the stock of gasoline and oil is at its highest all year and prices are going up.. kinda throws out the supply and demand argument...
WE are paying at the discount gas stations $2.01 and up.. premium 2.24 and up... I guess this is my generations turn to get hammered by the oil prices... arghhh. I remember the late seventies when it was doubling in price to 90+ cents... lol... oh the good old days..

Chris

I remeber the '70s too Christopher. I made $1.60 an hour and $.90 was a LOT of money to me.

James Mahoney
03-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Yeah, but it's 40 degrees here in Chicago too!! Yeah,but it's 75% here in Hawaii too!! And a six pack of Bud Lite is $5.95 plus the bottle tax of 5cent. Oh, Got Milk?....... $7.99 to $4.70 a Gal. We pay without flinching,its just the way it is.. Seeya.:D

RichMagnone
03-29-2005, 7:23 AM
Even though I was really into muscle cars in my youth (had a Dodge Charger with 426 and 3 dueces), I have smartened up a whole lot... why do we need to keep making 400+ HP vehicles to commute to work...

One could ask "why does he need that 5 hp cabinet saw when the 3 hp or contractor version will make a cut just as well (at least just as well as a honda accord compared to that 400+ HP vehicle!). Sometimes you just need something that is primo!

Karl Laustrup
03-29-2005, 7:53 AM
While the gas here is high, I think now around $2.15/gal, it's the state and the retailers that are making out like bandits. :p

Wisconsin has an automatic gas tax increase :mad: every year that amounts to just under a penny [the retailer gets the difference between the actual tax and the whole penny]. Guess when the automatic tax takes effect? If you guessed April 1st your spot on. Is that a slap in the face or what. Automatic tax increase that takes effect on April Fools Day each year.:confused: :mad:

In addition to that Wisconsin has a law that says a gas retailer has to charge a minimum of 6% above cost for gas. :mad: So the retailers are making an automatic 6% above what they are paying for the gas. :) Just think what it would be like if gov't mandated a minimum markup on everything. The law was implemented many years ago to help the independent retailer. Guess what they're practically non existant anyway and the law has outlived it's usefullness.

Of course in the immediate Wisconsin Dells area the gas retailers have deemed it necessary to charge an additional 5-7 cents per gallon above what stations only a couple of miles away charge. One retailer said it was because the gas had to be transported so much further. :confused:

Sorry! This is just one of the things that gets me going.

Thank you. I'm getting down off my soap box now.

Dennis Peacock
03-29-2005, 7:54 AM
Yeah, all the automobile manufacturers are making lots of SUVs and pickup trucks. That's what the consumers want and that's where profits are. Until gas prices get high enough change our driving habits that's the way it'll be.

I'm not necessairly a ecoterrorist just because I drive a large truck. My daily driver is a one ton Dodge which gets about 20 mpg on the highway and 15 around town. I fill up once a month or less because I live close to where I work and shop. A guy I work with drives a Honda which gets well over 30 mpg, but uses four times the gas I do because he drives 75 miles round trip to work every day. Most of the time I'll be in the truck by myself, but I occasionally pull two trailers, a 10K lb travel trailer and a 15K flat bed.

I hear ya Dennis M.!!!! My wife drives a GMC Suburban, 1994 model and we get 16MPG around town or driving on the highway. We fill up once a month on the average (44 gal tank). I drive a Sentra daily back and forth to work and fill up twice a month. I work with guys that drive 30 miles one way to work driving a Ford F350 Duelly just because they supposedly look more cool in those trucks. There are others that drive 70 miles one way to work here and they say they easily use over $100 to $200 per week in gas just to go back and forth to work. We try not to travel anywhere that is not necessary because we can't keep increasing our expenses. Shoot, my income stays the same and everything else gets more expensive. :rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
03-29-2005, 8:01 AM
I remeber the '70s too Christopher. I made $1.60 an hour and $.90 was a LOT of money to me.

I, as I'm sure some others here of my age, remember the early 60's when we drove 3 or 4 miles looking for the station that was the cheapest. $.29/gal as opposed to $.30/gal. That was in Long Beach, CA, but I imagine it occured all over back then. Just think, that 40 gallon fill up cost about $12.00. And we used to get 4-5 gallons for a buck.:)

And to think you also could collect glassware, dishes, and other stuff when you filled up the tank.

David Fried
03-29-2005, 8:46 AM
And to think you also could collect glassware, dishes, and other stuff when you filled up the tank.

And they probably washed the windshield and offered to check your oil!

John Miliunas
03-29-2005, 9:04 AM
Yeah Karl, and then there are those retailers who, at even the remote talks of distant price increases, they raise their pump prices immediately. We have several in our area who are the first to raise their prices the max and the last to lower their prices the minimum!:mad: It all revolves about ripping off the customer. I wouldn't even mind that much if it weren't for the fact that I have a long distance to drive to work each day. Econobox for a vehicle, but still nailing the wallet hard.:( :cool:

John M. Cioffi
03-29-2005, 10:30 AM
OK, here we go fellas...

Boston & North in "Tax-a-chusetts" is $2.07 to 2.09 for the cheap stuff. They say that it is supposed to rize to about $2.50 by summer.
I wish I could walk to work!!!
John ... not making it too far, in my Tacoma.:(

Chris Padilla
03-29-2005, 3:01 PM
$2.58 for 91 Octane in my neck of the woods in the South Bay Area. I hope it does get to $3/gal. The only way to get better fuel efficient vehicles is to make consumers demand them. $3/gal for a while should do just that.

Karl Laustrup
03-29-2005, 3:02 PM
And they probably washed the windshield and offered to check your oil!

Yeah, they would do that too and check your tires. That was in the days of full service, you couldn't even pump it yourself. Then they went to self serve or full serve, full serve was $.02/gal more. :eek: :) I always liked the self serve, only because it took less time, but you could still get the goodies even with self serve. :D

John Miliunas
03-30-2005, 8:20 PM
Not trying to be contrary here, but I have issue with those folks saying that they wish the gas prices would go sky high and stay there, justifying it by saying OEM's would be forced to develop and produce higher mpg vehicles. Maybe, but that still doesn't resolve the issue of present high prices, for which the oil companies are earning the greatest margins in history! That, plus the fact that, I for one, couldn't afford to just go out and buy one of these high mpg vehicles. Partially, because my savings would've been eaten up by the high price of gas I'm paying for! Many of us have already forsaken the more comfortable ride and size convenience of the larger vehicles and drive econoboxes already. Raising those prices to astronomical levels would just be adding insult to injury for those of us already trying to be ecologically and economically minded to begin with. Many folks went to the small vehicles simply because they already couldn't afford the previous gas prices. What happens to them? How about our transportation industry and all that is related to it? We can't expect all of the overland freight companies to go out and purchase the latest and greatest high mpg trucks, can we? Heck, there are too many owner/operators out there barely making it now! I'm afraid I don't have a solution for this problem (at least not one which would be acceptable by the oil companies!), but continued price gouging at the pump is NOT the answer. OK, stepping down off soapbox now.:) :cool:

Dennis McDonaugh
03-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Not trying to be contrary here, but I have issue with those folks saying that they wish the gas prices would go sky high and stay there, justifying it by saying OEM's would be forced to develop and produce higher mpg vehicles. Maybe, but that still doesn't resolve the issue of present high prices, for which the oil companies are earning the greatest margins in history! That, plus the fact that, I for one, couldn't afford to just go out and buy one of these high mpg vehicles. Partially, because my savings would've been eaten up by the high price of gas I'm paying for! Many of us have already forsaken the more comfortable ride and size convenience of the larger vehicles and drive econoboxes already. Raising those prices to astronomical levels would just be adding insult to injury for those of us already trying to be ecologically and economically minded to begin with. Many folks went to the small vehicles simply because they already couldn't afford the previous gas prices. What happens to them? How about our transportation industry and all that is related to it? We can't expect all of the overland freight companies to go out and purchase the latest and greatest high mpg trucks, can we? Heck, there are too many owner/operators out there barely making it now! I'm afraid I don't have a solution for this problem (at least not one which would be acceptable by the oil companies!), but continued price gouging at the pump is NOT the answer. OK, stepping down off soapbox now.:) :cool:

I hear you John, I think I can decide how best to spend my money not the big oil companies or the government!