PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable discrepancy with planer

Russell Tribby
12-15-2007, 1:45 PM
I just finished installing the wixey planer gauge on my Ridgid planer. After following the steps in the manual the board I planed came out at as .67" according to the planer gauge. When I checked it with my digital calipers it measured .680". Is this an acceptable discrepancy? If not I'm not sure what I need to do to close that gap. The process for calibrating the planer is pretty straight forward. I followed the required steps and this is what I've ended up with?

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 1:48 PM
I just finished installing the wixey planer gauge on my Ridgid planer. After following the steps in the manual the board I planed came out at as .67" according to the planer gauge. When I checked it with my digital calipers it measured .680". Is this an acceptable discrepancy? If not I'm not sure what I need to do to close that gap. The process for calibrating the planer is pretty straight forward. I followed the required steps and this is what I've ended up with?
There must be some way to close that .010 difference. IMHO that is not good enough.:)
Gary

Bruce Page
12-15-2007, 1:54 PM
Russell, I assume that you are measuring the board at the same spot.
What is the resolution of the Wixey? If the Wixey only “counts” in 1/64 or even .010 increments then yes, that’s as good as it gets.

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 1:58 PM
Russell, I assume that you are measuring the board at the same spot.
What is the resolution of the Wixey? If the Wixey only “counts” in 1/64 or even .010 increments then yes, that’s as good as it gets.
That's a good question...as I made the mistake of assuming that the gage was more accurate then .010 increments.
Gary

Bruce Page
12-15-2007, 2:01 PM
That's a good question...as I made the mistake of assuming that the gage was more accurate then .010 increments.
Gary

Gary, it may be, I don't know if it is or not.
The DRO on my milling machine reads in .0005 increments but it didn't cost $50 either. ;)

Russell Tribby
12-15-2007, 2:03 PM
I've tinkered with this the past couple of minutes and I've got it closer. The planer gauge now measures .675" and the calipers measure .681". How is that for a discrepancy? I'm really not sure why these wouldn't line up exactly.

Bruce Page
12-15-2007, 2:12 PM
I've tinkered with this the past couple of minutes and I've got it closer. The planer gauge now measures .675" and the calipers measure .681". How is that for a discrepancy? I'm really not sure these wouldn't line up exactly.

According to the Wixey website the gauge resolution is .005, so it can read either plus or minus .005 from nominal.
So a .681 reading of .675 nominal is right there.

Al Willits
12-15-2007, 2:36 PM
Gary was thinking Starrett again....:D:D:D

Might want to consider them old words, "accuracy is in the hands of the holder"...or something like that.

Did you try making multiple measurements and cuts to see if it was the DRO and not either you, the wood or the planer???

Al...who's back under his desk again...:D

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 3:33 PM
All I have for accuracy on my planer is a handle that moves 1/16th (.062) . I usually divide that into 1/4 turns the equal .015. My handle is pretty big and I can divide the .015 up pretty darned good. I bet I can move that sucker .002 at a whack. Heck...that's better then your digital gage.:eek::eek::D

Gary

Steve Milito
12-15-2007, 4:43 PM
I've tinkered with this the past couple of minutes and I've got it closer. The planer gauge now measures .675" and the calipers measure .681". How is that for a discrepancy? I'm really not sure why these wouldn't line up exactly.

Would you get 10 caliper measurements from different parts of the board to all be exactly the same?

Russell Tribby
12-15-2007, 5:27 PM
Good point Steve. I've just recently started using digital calipers and I've obviously just installed the planer digital readout. I may be going a little overboard with this. I just one of those people that gets annoyed by these small things.