PDA

View Full Version : Skew Chisel Handle

Justin Bukoski
12-15-2007, 1:32 PM
I'm getting ready to turn a handle for my 3/4" skew. What length do you guys recommend for the handle?

RL Johnson
12-15-2007, 2:09 PM
You don't say how thick your skew is but it is not a tool in my opinion that needs a real long handle unless you are going to be extending over the tool rest by a large amount. The Alan Lacer skew have fairly long handles, on my 1/2" skew it is 14", while my 1/2" is only 10". I would go to a Woodcraft or similar store and see what feels confortable in your hand.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2007, 3:46 PM
Both my 1 3/8" and 5/8" skews have 14" handles.

Andy Hoyt
12-15-2007, 3:48 PM
As long and as heavy as you can manage.

Leverage and weight are your friend.

Dan Forman
12-15-2007, 4:05 PM
Certainly not an expert here, but one of the considerations that figured into my handle making was that a longer handle makes for finer manipulation of the tool. With the tool rest as the fulcrum, and a longer handled tool, it takes a relatively longer movement of the handle to move the cutting edge of the tool than it would with a shorter handle. This gives better control over fine adjustments of the edge, which can be important in a touchy tool such as a skew. I'm curious to what others have to say on this too.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-15-2007, 4:42 PM
I have a Robert Larson 3/4" skew that is my current favorite and it doesn't have an exceptionally long handle. I have two Lacers.....5/8" and 1 3/8" but I haven't even sharpened them yet. I considered it today as I am making my first Christmas ornament for the exchange here and I'm using a spindle gouge for endgrain hollowing and the skew for the outside.

I think I'd go with a length with which you are comfortable. The angle of the bevel and the sharpeness of the skew are the two factors I find most important for me.

As far as type of wood....do you like a heavy handle......a light handle?

Ben Gastfriend
12-15-2007, 4:47 PM
My skew's handle is about 10 inches. Once I get down from the rough turning, my toolrest is moved closer to the work, so I generally don't worry about getting leverage from a 20 inch handle.

Good luck!

(Oh... and Andy... I see the little Avatar Switch-a-roo... getting in the holiday spirit?)

Justin Bukoski
12-15-2007, 7:04 PM
Thanks guys. I ended up with a 16" handle made from cocobolo. Feels just right.