PDA

View Full Version : DeRaud spiral attempt

Jerry Allen
12-15-2007, 1:02 PM
Think I'm going to change my name to Murphy.
I finally got around to trying Lee's bowl design.
I had trouble with the jig on the second one (left bowl) and my indexing method failed. The joints look like !#$%. I used CA which I don't like to use for bowls but figured I'd give it a try since it is hard to see through PVA.
The joints on the first one (right) came out great using TightBond II, but I did not use a jig and lost concentricity thinking I could align to some engraved registation marks I made. The base came out nicer than the one on the left too.
Next time I'm going to use tooling pins and PVA. I'm also inspired to try larger ones.

The highlight effect when turning the bowl in your hand is really nice and I think it's a great design. Thanks Lee.

Steve Schlumpf
12-15-2007, 1:48 PM
Jerry - I think these look great! Love the contrasting colors! Having things not exactly lined up is just the artist's personal touch!

Jerry Allen
12-15-2007, 2:10 PM
Thanks Steve. I'm still not real happy after all that work. I couldn't even complete the inside of the first one because it was too out of round.
Need to try again.
Those light bands in the maple are the highlights I was talking about.
When you turn them the highlight follows the spiral--a really a cool effect.

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2007, 3:43 PM
Jerry that looks great for a first try. Like Steve I love the contrasting woods.

Walt Nollan
12-15-2007, 6:23 PM
I think you did a good job. When I need critacal alignment I use blue masking tape on both layers. It easy to see through the glue.

Walt