PDA

View Full Version : Jet mini lathe - - what do you need to get going?

Delano Mireles
02-20-2004, 5:02 PM
Hi all,

with the current Jet promo and woodcraft's 10% discount I'm seriously considering getting a Jet mini. Could someone just give me the lowdown on what basic equipment I would need to go along with the lathe (tools, chuck, safety wear)? Also, would you recommend the standard or VS model?

Thanks for putting up with another lathe question!

Delano

Glenn Hodges
02-20-2004, 7:26 PM
Hi all,

with the current Jet promo and woodcraft's 10% discount I'm seriously considering getting a Jet mini. Could someone just give me the lowdown on what basic equipment I would need to go along with the lathe (tools, chuck, safety wear)? Also, would you recommend the standard or VS model?

Thanks for putting up with another lathe question!

Delano
I would get the VS model. The basic tools you will need are:
slow grinder for sharpening tools such as gouges
Woverine type jig for sharpening bowl gouges
full face mask
chainsaw, unless you plan to buy all your wood
some type of dusk mask
start with a 3 inch face plate
a four jaw chuck is a nice addition I enjoy, but you can do without
a bandsaw would be a nice tool to have, but not mandatory.
Now you tell us what you want to turn, and maybe we can suggest the type of turning tools you might need.
Hope this helps a little. I probably forgot something.
Glenn Hodges

Dale Thompson
02-20-2004, 9:31 PM
Delano,
I would definitely go with the VS. It gives you low-end torque for bowls and it gives you high-end speed for pens, small spindles and stuff like that. If I were new at turning (don't laugh, folks, I'm not NEW at it. I'm just BAD at it!), I would go with Glenn's suggestions with consideration of the following; I assume Glenn meant 1750 RPM by "slow speed grinder". Systems like the Tormek are BIG $$ and way too slow for turning chisels. Also, if you are new to turning, remember that "sharpening" is probably the number one reason for people "giving up" on turning. It takes some practice but, if I can learn it at all, then it should be easy for anyone else. :o

The Wolverine System for gouges is GREAT! The flat rest is also great for skews and parting tools. It's a real help in learning to sharpen. I read a quote from one of the notable professionals a while back (I forget his name off-hand. It may have been Stott, sorry). "Most turner's have NEVER experienced the joy of turning with a properly sharpened tool" - or something like that.

For practice, I would suggest that you pick up the 8-piece chisel set from Harbor Freight for $29.95 + shipping. I was impressed with the set that I bought. It may not have the best HSS but it has a lot of it - especially for the money (less than $4 per chisel). Whatever, it's a lot better than grinding away the temper and length of your $70 Taylor or Crown gouge.

GOOD LUCK!!

Dale T.

Glenn Hodges
02-21-2004, 9:04 AM
Yea Dale, I ment a 1750 speed not the Tormek. I have been turning for over 4 years and don't own a Tormek.
Glenn