PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog holes

charlie kapper
12-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I am installing a Veritas Twin Screw vise on the end of my bench. What is the optimum spacing for the 3/4" dog holes that will run the length of the bench. Also what about the spacing between the rows of holes. I was just going to machines in two rows of holes. Should I consider additional rows? I don't want the top (2 1/4" thick maple) to look like a piece of swiss cheese if the additional rows do not add that much value.

Charlie

Gary Keedwell
12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I just measured my vice and it is 14 5/8" wide. I just went in a couple of inches from each end and so the holes are something like 10 1/2 inches on center apart. For no rhyme or reason....my holes are spaced about 4" on center for the entire length of my table. Been working fine for me.
Gary

Bruce Page
12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Charlie, the main driver for the spacing is based on the opening travel of your vise. Basically, you always want to be in reach of the dog hole. Once you have the distance to the first hole, space the second hole the same distance and so on. I doubled up the number of holes that I really needed on my bench.

Tom Veatch
12-15-2007, 3:50 PM
I am installing a Veritas Twin Screw vise on the end of my bench. What is the optimum spacing for the 3/4" dog holes that will run the length of the bench. Also what about the spacing between the rows of holes. ...

On mine, I placed the holes in line with the screws. I don't think that spacing is very critical. I would keep them symmetric about the vise centerline.

As far as the spacing between pairs of holes, you don't want to exceed the maximum jaw opening of the vise. However, keep in mind that with that spacing you could wind up spending a lot of time running the vise out to near it's maximum opening - and that's a lot of cranking on that vise. It'll be more convenient in the long run if you space them closer that that. Personally, I'd space them no more than about half the maximum opening on that vise. The very first time your work is just short of a dog hole, you'll be glad you did.

Jim Becker
12-15-2007, 5:29 PM
Charlie, I actually did three rows of dog holes on my bench in anticipation of the future addition of the Veritas twin screw beauty. Having three rows (once I actually got them all in the same lines... ;) ) felt like the most versatile combination to me. I'll guess that the two outside rows are about 18" apart, give or take.

Quesne Ouaques
02-27-2008, 7:39 PM
Bruce:

I am just curious about your setup in the photo. Are your dog holes countersunk? If so, what is the reason for it? If not, what is the ring around each hole?

Thanks

Gary Keedwell
02-27-2008, 7:57 PM
Bruce:

I am just curious about your setup in the photo. Are your dog holes countersunk? If so, what is the reason for it? If not, what is the ring around each hole?

Thanks
They look counterbored to me.....could be he has dogs with two diameters...that way it won't fall through the hole.
Gary

Bruce Page
02-27-2008, 8:31 PM
Bruce:

Thanks

Quesne, Gary nailed it. I made the brass dogs with a 1" diameter flange to keep them from falling through the hole.

glenn bradley
02-27-2008, 8:43 PM
Like Bruce, I lined mine up with the outside edge of the metal jaw to assure support. Your twinscrew will be a different animal. If you align them with the screws, stuff falling through the holes will land on your screws. Offset them a bit.

Clay Crocker
02-27-2008, 11:07 PM
My workbench has a twin screw vise and I placed four rows of holes all spaced six inches on center. Keep in mind that bench dog holes can be used for more than bench dogs. I find the holes useful for hold downs, bench stops, and wedges just to name a few. The more holes you have the more versatile your workbench accessories will be. Besides, I like swiss cheese.;)

Clay