PDA

View Full Version : MDF or Particle Board?

Steven J Corpstein
12-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm getting ready to build a 36" x 60" outfeed table that will be hinged to the section I permanently attached to the saw last Winter (see pics). I built the permanent section with MDF but wondered if particle board would remain as flat if properly supported. It is a bit lighter, thus not stressing the hinged joint while moving the saw around.

Mike Marcade
12-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Personally I would use MDF. Particleboard will never be as dense, flat, or strong. Just make sure it properly supported underneath like in your pics to prevent sagging.

John Thompson
12-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I have used MDF on accessory tables and extentions for quite a number of years. It is much more stable than particle IMO and comes off the shelf usually within "004" flat. When properly re-enforced, it hasn't warped in 5 years on a router table top or DP top. The TS extension is only a year old, but I don't expect it there either as I basically torsion-boxed it with oak scrap strips.

I usually seal it with 3 coats of poly. I don't bother to sand between coats but I will wet-sand the final after it cures with 400 wet-dry using mineral spirits to take the nibs out. It's shop stuff so looks are not an issue.

Sarge..

John Canfield
12-15-2007, 12:52 PM
For my outfeed table I used 1/2" MDF and covered with laminate so it would match the extension table and be a be a little more slippery than plain MDF.

Its been in use for several years and still going strong (better than me!)

I absolutely detest working with or using particle board. When we remodeled our last house, I was on a mission to eliminate every piece of PB in the house. It was more costly, but oh so satisfying :D

Jamie Buxton
12-15-2007, 1:27 PM
Why not use plywood? It is lighter per cubic inch than either particle board or MDF, and it is stiffer. That is, it will sag less than either of the others. It also holds screws better, and glues more securely. You save a couple bucks by using particle board, but so what? A better product is a better product.

...and plywood also doesn't make that awful fine dust that MDF makes when you cut it...

glenn bradley
12-15-2007, 1:49 PM
Why not use plywood? It is lighter per cubic inch than either particle board or MDF, and it is stiffer. That is, it will sag less than either of the others. It also holds screws better, and glues more securely. You save a couple bucks by using particle board, but so what? A better product is a better product.

...and plywood also doesn't make that awful fine dust that MDF makes when you cut it...

Inconsistent thickness issue. Even the quality plywood from a real lumber yard varies more in thickness than MDF around here. Not that an outfeed table has to be that 'perfect' mind you ;-)

Jamie Buxton
12-15-2007, 1:57 PM
Inconsistent thickness issue. Even the quality plywood from a real lumber yard varies more in thickness than MDF around here. Not that an outfeed table has to be that 'perfect' mind you ;-)

Whew. When I buy hardwood-veneer plywood from hardwood dealers here, it is almost always .71" thick. I don't think I've ever seen a difference in thickness on one sheet which is more than .01" from one edge to the other.