PDA

View Full Version : Filler Material Suggestions-Domino Jointing Height Adjustment

Russ Mullins
12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
After cutting a bunch of mortises with my Domino, I noticed that the jointing height adjustment had slipped on some of them, yielding misaligned cuts between the earlier mortises (where it was correct) and the later mortises (where it had slipped). Now, I’ve got to fill some of the later mortises and recut them. What type of filler material should I use, i.e., something that is hard and stable, but can still be cut with the Domino bit? Would some sort of epoxy material be recommended? I don’t know, as I’ve never tried doing something like this before. The wood is jatoba (brazilian cherry).

By the way, it needs to be something I can get at my local hardware store or Home Depot. Thanks all.

Roger Savatteri
12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
good morning Russ,

Try taking a domino (with yellow glue rubbed around it), whack it in, let it cure. Carefully trim it down within a 1/16 ish, then plane the rest.
Presto, then go ahead and re-domino.

Festool spent a lot of effort engineering those little hardwood dominos, they are very machinable after the glue cures. It's worked for me.

Russ Mullins
12-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

Rick Christopherson
12-15-2007, 1:21 PM
As Roger stated, using a Domino to fill the mortise is the standard method. As for why this happened, if it was simply operator error and you didn't tighten the clamping lever enough, then fine, but if the fence slips too easily, then make sure you contact Festool for warranty service.

Wade Lippman
12-15-2007, 3:02 PM
When I put a slot in the wrong place (my fault, not the machines...) I put in some epoxy putty and pushed in a half domino. After waiting a few hours I cut the new slot just fine.