PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Pepper Shakers

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 1:15 AM
The simple kind. Rubber bung for the bottom and the old standby of a chrome tope. Hardware will be installed this weekend, packaged, and shipped to family for Christmas. These were "ordered" by the LOML for family gifts.

Set of ELM
Set of Arkansas Cherry (thank Mark Cothren)
Set of Franklin, TN Cherry from 1995

Finish is one good coat of Antique Oil frictioned dry and then 2 coats of Deft Clear Lacquer

Barry Stratton
12-15-2007, 1:18 AM
Those'll be appreciated!!!

.............hey, I thought you gave up turning??????:p

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 1:22 AM
Those'll be appreciated!!!

.............hey, I thought you gave up turning??????:p

You rascal..!!!! :p
I haven't given up....just that I don't make any money turning and the flatwork helps fund the shop from time to time. :D

But I do like mixing it up...do some flatwork and do some lathe work while waiting for glue to dry or sumpin like that. ;)

Gene Kennedy
12-15-2007, 2:05 AM
Arkansas Cherry - I don't think I've ever seen a real cherry tree here. I know this might be a dumb question, but is that some sort of regional slang for something else, or is real cherry?

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2007, 8:50 AM
Arkansas Cherry - I don't think I've ever seen a real cherry tree here. I know this might be a dumb question, but is that some sort of regional slang for something else, or is real cherry?

Now Gene....:) I sometimes state where the wood is from because I've used wood from various regional locations and just find it interesting how an Oak tree differs from the same type Oak here in Arkansas. I've never seen a real fruit bearing cherry here either, but hey, I've only been in Arkansas since 1999. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Dennis those are beauties and surely will be appreciated. Well done.

Dennis Peacock
12-16-2007, 6:29 AM
OK Gene....I stand corrected. :o
I got this from Mark Cothren.

This Arkansas Cherry is Black Cherry, sometimes called Wild Cherry around here. And it does, indeed, bear fruit. It isn't the Cherries you buy at the grocery store, but they are used for flavoring and cooking by some folks. The cherry on a Black Cherry is a small, dark fruit. The leaves contain some level of cyanide, which is why cattle farmers consider it very much a nuisance tree.

It is definitely a "real Cherry"...just not out grocery store cherry.

Hey, I learned something new about another local tree and I like learning. :D

John Hart
12-16-2007, 7:16 AM
People are always reminding me of all the things I need to do.:rolleyes:

Bout a year and a half ago, I bought a pile of rubber bungs and chrome shaker tops....but have yet to turn one of these things. It's madness I tell ya.:o

But those are pretty nice Dennis! Maybe you pushed me over the edge.:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-16-2007, 10:55 AM
What a great idea Dennis! Nice shakers! I checked a couple of places for the metal tops and so far only come across the salt (large holes) top. Did you actually find the pepper version or are you using just the one style?

Tom Sherman
12-17-2007, 3:05 PM
Way to go Dennis, nice lookin shakers.
John I don't think you were very far from the edge anyway.

Frank Kobilsek
12-17-2007, 4:48 PM
Dennis

I was rumaging thru the scrap box for salt and pepper shaker blanks last night. I bought a bag of those rubber bung plugs.

I intend to make the top shaker part from a Corian like product. I picked-up a salesmans sample case of about (50) 2" squares of differnt colored samples. I plan to drill my own holes and inset them into the top of the shaker body. That way I can make three sizes of holes. Small for Salt, big for black pepper I like so much and this mix of garlic salt and herbs my MIL stirs up. Steve this might solve your search for tops

These might be New Years presents for my self.

Frank

Tim Gruss
12-18-2007, 12:09 AM
I like to do the occasional simpler turnings also. They all look very nice and I bet they didn't break the bank either.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Nicely done Dennis! The recipients are going to appreciate those!

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2007, 1:29 AM
Thanks everyone.

Steve, the tops are the same for the salt & pepper. The ones I got were from Woodcraft, 2 sets in each bag.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-18-2007, 8:16 AM
They look great, Dennis. I'm sure they'll be appreciated.